• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joel Campbell: Got Out While He Could

Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Only sensible post in the last 3 pages. Joel is simply not good enough to be anything other than an emergency back up for a club like Arsenal.

A half decent performance against garbage opposition doesn't change that. There are people claiming he was the best player on the pitch and is now ahead of Ox for that right wing position, Ridiculous.

The likes of Gervinho and Podolski had far more to their game than Joel does.

Yeah I thought he had a good game , but no not the best player on the pitch , he went missing for large parts . It's a good performance for what for 3rd choice .

nicky47

Established Member
Very good game from him. Lets not forget this is like his 3 or 4 game as starter for us.
And 2 of those were Bayern away and the North London Derby!

To be honest, Dynamo aren't a very good team at all, but you can only beat what's in front of you. Personally, I'm hoping Campbell starts again at RW this weekend, deserves too.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
The likes of Gervinho and Podolski had far more to their game than Joel does.

Not really, Podolski did not have 'more to his game' than anyone, he had a lethal left foot and that was it. Gervinho had amazing pace, off the ball movement, workrate and dribbling but couldn't kick a football or pass one either. Campbell can at least kick a football, can track back and can pass so even if he isn't as good, the @Jury is out on whether he will or won't be, he probably actually does have 'more to his game'.

And if he is in front of the Ox, not sure he is, but if he is it's because he tracks back (OX does not enough), because he can pass and because Ox has been pretty shocking this year so far and probably isn't at peak fitness.

Maxim

Not really, Podolski did not have 'more to his game' than anyone, he had a lethal left foot and that was it. Gervinho had amazing pace, off the ball movement, workrate and dribbling but couldn't kick a football or pass one either. Campbell can at least kick a football, can track back and can pass so even if he isn't as good, the @Jury is out on whether he will or won't be, he probably actually does have 'more to his game'.

And if he is in front of the Ox, not sure he is, but if he is it's because he tracks back (OX does not enough), because he can pass and because Ox has been pretty shocking this year so far and probably isn't at peak fitness.

The Joel hype has gone from 0 to 100 real quick.

Podolski's left foot alone trounces all of Joel's attributes, in fact let's look at Joel's game shall we.

So what is it that he actually provides?

Can he finish? Occasionally I suppose, not a strength though.
Does he have pace? Absolutely not
Can he dribble? Not really
Can he beat a man? Nah
Strong in the air? Negative
Crossing? Nein
Is he creative? no no
Workrate? tbf he does get through a bit of work
Passing? Well, he really has that pass back to the RB down to a tee, and he did provide one excellent through ball to Alexis last night. But outside of that, can we really call this a strength of his? I don't think so.

Sorry to be so negative but people really need to get a grip.

And for the record, that post shouldn't be treated as a vote of confidence for the likes of Podolski/Gervinho, for me Joel will develop into that calibre of player, and we shouldn't be persisting with players of that level.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I'm sure last nights performance is largely down to fitness, he looked quicker than I have seen him before. Maybe he is reaching a level of fitness that he has never been at while on loan to other clubs. I'm sure training with our players in the Wenger way takes time to build up that fitness required for the PL. I hope his run continues in the team and with Coq out its the perfect opportunity to play Ramsey in the middle and give Cazorla a much needed breather.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The Joel hype has gone from 0 to 100 real quick.

Podolski's left foot alone trounces all of Joel's attributes, in fact let's look at Joel's game shall we.

So what is it that he actually provides?

Can he finish? Occasionally I suppose, not a strength though.
Does he have pace? Absolutely not
Can he dribble? Not really
Can he beat a man? Nah
Strong in the air? Negative
Crossing? Nein
Is he creative? no no
Passing? Well, he really has that pass back to the RB down to a tee, and he did provide one excellent through ball to Alexis last night. But outside of that, can we really call this a strength of his? I don't think so.

Sorry to be so negative but people really need to get a grip.

And for the record, that post shouldn't be treated as a vote of confidence for the likes of Podolski/Gervinho, for me Joel will develop into that calibre of player, and we shouldn't be persisting with players of that level.

I think we all get get. You don't think he'll ever be good enough, based on a few starts, and last nights performance from him was like you having to sit on that dodgy Santas knee all over again. Some of the gash you're posting about him... Lord. I'd leave it now if I were you.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Bizarre player, even if you say ‘it was only Zagreb’ it was outstanding performance for someone who hasn't really found himself within the team. Linked up with Özil and Bellerin nicely, great vision and top it off his always willing to provide defensive support.

Take nothing back from the weekend, he deserved all the criticism he got, he didn't look anything like an Arsenal player or someone that could produce that performance.

My worry for him is that we’re basically watching a failed Liverpool transfer in reverse. The type of player that looks outstanding against lower opposition with more time and space but fails when that’s taken away.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Without any effort I can easily recall two good passes. Played Alexis into the box early on and he really should of scored. Started a counter and Alexis/Özil really should of done better.

And through a bit of work? The guy is always tracking back/pressing. Absolute nonsense.

Maxim

I think we all get get. You don't think he'll ever be good enough, based on a few starts, and last nights performance from him was like you having to sit on that dodgy Santas knee all over again. Some of the gash your posting about him... Lord. I'd leave it now if I were you.

Haha, Santa's knee...ok mate.

I'm just a realist and I've seen much more of him than you think. The rest of the forum will catch up with me eventually, when they see how little he actually offers.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you. Joel has no future here.

There, there....:(

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Take nothing back from the weekend, he deserved all the criticism he got, he didn't look anything like an Arsenal player or someone that could produce that performance.
That's simply not true. He was nowhere near as bad as many would like to believe.

I'd be tempted to use the old "but they were all crap so it doesn't matter/why focus on his performance" line--you know, the one that most of the forum wheels out in defence of far better, more established and decorated players than Joel, but that would be agreeing that he was woeful against WBA, when he wasn't... So I wont. ;)

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Whether we think he's crap or not or going to make the Arsenal grade or not, one thing I'm sure of is that we're all rooting for him to do well whilst he's in our 1st team. So, go on Joel, score a belter against the Canaries on Saturday and make us all dream of Costa Rica!

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Haha, Santa's knee...ok mate.

I'm just a realist and I've seen much more of him than you think. The rest of the forum will catch up with me eventually, when they see how little he actually offers.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you. Joel has no future here.

There, there....:(
I'm not even saying he has a future here, as I've posted many a time. Stranger things have happened though, and not too long ago.

You just seem to take pleasure in reassuring yourself (ad-fvcking-nauseum) and others, that he has no future here. "It's alright folks, he'll be gone soon, don't worry!" like some mental preacher of doom. This is football ffs. He's an Arsenal player... You should be hoping something great happens, not pissing on him at every turn regardless.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I think he's been pretty poor but it appears match fitness has been a big issue for him, he looked fitter last night and thus more impressive.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I think he's been pretty poor but it appears match fitness has been a big issue for him, he looked fitter last night and thus more impressive.
When has he been pretty poor? More importantly though, when do you think he's been good?

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That's simply not true. He was nowhere near as bad as many would like to believe.

I'd be tempted to use the old "but they were all crap so it doesn't matter/why focus on his performance" line--you know, the one that most of the forum wheels out in defence of far better, more established and decorated players than Joel, but that would be agreeing that he was woeful against WBA, when he wasn't... So I wont. ;)

He might not been as bad but that solid chance that went horribly wide really sticks out, and I have no desire to rematch that game...sorry Joel but you have to accept your 3/10 performance.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He might not been as bad but that solid chance that went horribly wide really sticks out, and I have no desire to rematch that game...sorry Joel but you have to accept your 3/10 performance.
This is why these last few pages are sh!te. Posts like this. No offence. He missed a sitter so its 3/10. :lol:

Im gone from here before I start dribbling over the keyboard.

redanddread

Campbell's been a victim of our own hype & hopes. Joel was this "unknown" quantity on the Arsenal books for years & we saw tantalising glimpses of his talent @ WC '14, in the CL vs UTD. and every now & again in La Liga. We're always desperate for a new player, it's natural (particularly @ Arsenal), and Joel's hype had been building up over the years whilst he was away from Arsenal. I think he's at the club ONLY because Welbeck got injured at the start of the season otherwise he'd be a Goner not a Gunner.

However, that's not to say he couldn't play his way into the manager's reckoning but to do that he must start adding the numbers to his game, i.e. goals & assists. He has one of each so far, so it's a start.

The question is, "was Joel Campbell ever as good as we really thought he was?"

redanddread

This is why these last few pages are sh!te. Posts like this. No offence. He missed a sitter so its 3/10. :lol:

Look, as the Prez of his booster club we can understand "dribbling over the keyboard"......keep up the fight mate, all's not lost yet!

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Oh please, we all know he didn't exactly do much against WBA, team mates started to play around him, and yes missing a sitter does massively downgrade you unless everything else you've been doing is brilliant.

He might have performed slightly better then given credit for, made a few good runs, I think it was him to caused the penalty actually, but not enough to offset missing a sitter. Not at the sort of level we want to be at.

Joel, Jury..Both begin with J, four letters…Are you Campbell in disguise.

skip spence

Joel had a decent game last night, good on him.

But I'd be very surprised if he doesn't drop to the bench this weekend with Ramsey coming back and Flamini retaining his MC position. And with the Ox coming back, and later Theo and Welbeck, he'll drop futher down. And rightly so, all these players are ahead of Joel and although he may have potential to become better I don't think his ceiling is high enough to warrant playing him when there are stronger alternatives available. Best of luck to him though!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If he sent an apology it must have been by horse

Arsène Wenger on apology from Ferguson

Latest posts

Top Bottom