• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I also felt that the team moved to more of a 352 formation in the second half which certainly helped the play and I agree we always look and play better with that extra man in the middle of the park. It's 433 or 352 for me, that 343 sacrifices too much in midfield.

I think the main problem offensively is a complete lack of balance. Arsenal need to replicate what Ox does on the right hand side on the left and unfortunately we simply do not have the personnel.

I think it's only a matter of time until it clicks. Allot of it depends on Özil and Alexis working out how to play as two number 10s as that is essentially what we are playing them as. There are signs of it functioning, just not consistently enough. They also need a centre forward ahead of them with good movement and that isn't one of Welbecks strengths.

We are playing a wing back system with only one dynamic wing back and two number 10s who have a striker who lacks movement to profit off the creativity of the two 10s and the crossing of the wide players.

Imagine something like:

--------------------------Cech
-----------Mustafi--Kos---Monreal
OX----Ramsey------Xhaka-----Lemar
---------------Özil---------Alexis
----------------------Belotti

You've got Ox and Lemar as offensive wing backs with pace and power like Juventus. You have wing backs who can cross a ball from both flanks. You have a midfielder in Xhaka who can spray passes to the wing backs to get them in a 1v1. You have a centre forward who is excellent in the air for crosses. Someone who can poach in the area, fast on the break and also with the movement to profit off of Alexis and Özil. You also have two centre backs who are comfortable with defending in wide areas and covering the wing backs.

If we had a player next to Xhaka who was simply better than Ramsey I think that team would be potent. I like what Ramsey does but he will always have limitations.

I'd like cm next to Xhaka who has the same engine as Ramsey but more recovery pace to compensate for Xhakas lack of pace. I'd like the player to have the same forward off the ball movement and goal scoring potential. Most importantly I'd like them to move the ball quicker and be more technically adept. Put someone like Tielsmans in there and you probably get that. However that's asking for too much as Wenger loves Ramsey.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
I think the main problem offensively is a complete lack of balance. Arsenal need to replicate what Ox does on the right hand side on the left and unfortunately we simply do not have the personnel.

I think it's only a matter of time until it clicks. Allot of it depends on Özil and Alexis working out how to play as two number 10s as that is essentially what we are playing them as. There are signs of it functioning, just not consistently enough. They also need a centre forward ahead of them with good movement and that isn't one of Welbecks strengths.

We are playing a wing back system with only one dynamic wing back and two number 10s who have a striker who lacks movement to profit off the creativity of the two 10s and the crossing of the wide players.

Imagine something like:

--------------------------Cech
-----------Mustafi--Kos---Monreal
OX----Ramsey------Xhaka-----Lemar
---------------Özil---------Alexis
----------------------Belotti

You've got Ox and Lemar as offensive wing backs with pace and power like Juventus. You have wing backs who can cross a ball from both flanks. You have a midfielder in Xhaka who can spray passes to the wing backs to get them in a 1v1. You have a centre forward who is excellent in the air for crosses. Someone who can poach in the area, fast on the break and also with the movement to profit off of Alexis and Özil. You also have two centre backs who are comfortable with defending in wide areas and covering the wing backs.

If we had a player next to Xhaka who was simply better than Ramsey I think that team would be potent. I like what Ramsey does but he will always have limitations.

I'd like cm next to Xhaka who has the same engine as Ramsey but more recovery pace to compensate for Xhakas lack of pace. I'd like the player to have the same forward off the ball movement and goal scoring potential. Most importantly I'd like them to move the ball quicker and be more technically adept. Put someone like Tielsmans in there and you probably get that. However that's asking for too much as Wenger loves Ramsey.
Why not play Alexis and Belotti with Özil behind? Definitely more balanced and not complicated. Two hard working forwards side by side should balance out with Özil's lack of defensive and physical work load.

And having two offensive wingers at wing back could prove to be counter productive and not sustainable. Not ruling out the possibility of it clicking but just an observation and it needs to strike a balance. And if you have Lemar, you play him further forward.

Last edited:

karl

I'd love to think we could get Beloit. How many times this year has the penalty box been empty when the ball gets there? The mobile front three is something that is way overrated. I prefer a striker that is gong to be in the right place and a mobile 2 behind that.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Why not play Alexis and Belotti with Özil behind? Definitely more balanced and not complicated. Two hard working forwards side by side should balance out with Özil's lack of defensive and physical work load.

And having two offensive wingers at wing back could prove to be counter productive and not sustainable. Not ruling out the possibility of it clicking but just an observation and it needs to strike a balance. And if you have Lemar, you play him further forward.

It basically becomes a 3 5 2 when you attack. However the benefit of a 3 4 3 when you defend is that you can track the opposition full backs. Özil needs defensive responsibility and his job is very simple when on the right. He just tracks the full back.

I think we can afford to play two offensive wingers as we want to be a forward thinking possession based team. We don't sit deep and play on the counter. Having two offensive wingers allows you to switch play effectively. If we switch from left to right currently, OX will wreak havoc. If we switch from right to left, nothing happens. It's a major offensive problem that we can only get to the byline on one side of the pitch. It makes no sense having only one side where you can attack properly. That isn't balance.

How much furthe forward can Lemar be? OX as a wing back is getting to the byline and playing wide. The reason he is so effective currently is because he is wide. He has chalk on his boots all game. When we have 4 at the back our wide players cut in and give the width to the full backs who are not good enough to do anything with it. It's not surprising that when you play OX wide he is able to beat his man an provide crosses. It also isn't surprising that when you get the ball in the box you score from those crosses.

Fallout

i hope we continue with this formation into next season. having 3 CBs not only makes us resistant to counters, but also helps our buildup by creating numerical advantages at the back. i love how our fullbacks bombed forward and we found them with balls over the top. based on today, monreal has to play lb over gibbs.

Suits our most players very well.

If we can work on our defending spaces and be more drillied I take this system over 4231 next season.

Last edited:

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
We need a better LB in this system. Monreal's movement is excellent but when he's facing play with the ball he doesn't have the burst to move forward and beat a man, has to play simple inside or back.
If Wenger is staying then he needs to fully embrace playing this system. Go big for Alaba, Dolberg and a strong,mobile partner for Xhaka and bring back Szczesny.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
C_-exWDUIAESUsZ.jpg

Decent looking pass map. But how much better would it be if Gibbs and Giroud weren't in it?

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
We are in trouble against any team half good at pressing. Outside of Özil & Alexis they all struggle + its a huge issue getting the ball to them. Not convinced its the better option for the final.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
A proper CM (not Ramsey) next to Xhaka sees Özil dropping deep to get ball less. Allows him to occupy space between lines more where he is at his best. Allows for quicker movement of ball up the pitch.

That and a LWB with some forward capability and a striker who has pace, technique and finishing ability (Not Walcott or Giroud) and can interchange with Alexis would take this formation to the next level. Kos and Holding can pass through the middle too allowing for quicker transition.

Actually starting to think this formation is the answer

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
What about the LB/LWB we're signing on a free? Do you think he will displace Monreal? (I know nothing about him)

Where does Ox fit when Bellerin is fit and in form? Where do Ramsey, Cazorla, and Wilshere fit? El Neny/Coquelin?

What about the LB/LWB we're signing on a free?

He and Monreal will battle out for the left back spot. Given that we don't sell Monreal.

Monreal is also viable opinion for the left center back in back three in 3-4-3 if we wish to continue with that system for some games next season.

I rate Monreal time here higher than Sagna. He has been very solid for us!

Giroud

Established Member
C_-exWDUIAESUsZ.jpg

Decent looking pass map. But how much better would it be if Gibbs and Giroud weren't in it?

What relevance does a pass map have to performance so what does it matter?

Pass maps look good when teams have lots of possession and make lots of passes but it's well established that those have little relevance to performance. So I find pass maps are more of a nice visualisation than anything of real interest.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom