• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who should take penalties?

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
Pretty sure you got the wrong guy :lol:

Nah it was him. I never forget a face.

Tbf he didn’t laugh, he just said it was a “bold claim”, but let’s be honest, for a brother as reserved as @SA Gunner that’s the equivalent of a normal person laughing so hard they managed to fart and pee themselves at the same time.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I'm fine with Saka taking them if missing doesn't become a habit but Jorginho really should take them if he's on the pitch. That percentage over a big sample size doesn't lie.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
A number 9 with a 65% conversion rate with penalties 🤨

Scoring from 12 yards should be bread and butter for a CF.

I'm already ready to move on from him

81RnLD-4BFL.jpg

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Gotta keep Saka on pens, to be a top player he has to overcome mental hurdles such as this.

Saka’s conversion isn’t even that bad, he’s missed 2. 3 if you care about preseason.

For context Salah has a conversion rate of 80% overall, but last season alone it was more like 60%. I remember Auba had a 50-60% and people here were being dumb about it back then and I think people are being dumb about it now.
Salah really shouldn’t be taking pens either tbf, but it’s different as he’s their go to goalscorer. Same with Auba but there’s definitely merit in letting your main goalscorer take the pens.

I don’t even see Saka as our go to guy for goals, he’s more of a second/third option in the final version of this team. So I wouldn’t keep him on pens if there’s a starter with a better record. There isn’t at the moment so I’m happy to keep him as taker but the way he’s missing the target completely is concerning.

It would 100% be Jorginho for me if he started or Jesus if he had that dawg in him.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Still Saka for me. Need him to stat pad so my 20g pred can come true and I can shove it down @Trilly ’s throat.

(Sorry @Riou for the inevitable tag that will follow how I ended that sentence)
I’d be surprised if Saka becomes a 20 goal wide forward.

I’ve always felt that even at his very very best he’s gonna be more of a Hazard than a Salah and he’d have to really change his game and become more of a wide forward. I’m absolutely here for that but I can’t see it.

But yeah I’ve kept the first sentence nicely seperate from the rest so you can use it out of context to mock me if he does hit that.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Havertz, jorginho, saka in that order
Will require very strong management from Arteta but Pep did the same thing with Haaland.

no loyalties or pandering, just picked the guy with the best conversion rate because that’s what’s best for the team.

Going to be very tricky to get the fans to agree with that though. I’d keep Saka on until he misses again.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I really think people are blowing this penalty thing out of proportion with Saka btw. It’s a sample size thing. We just don’t know yet if he’s good or not. What we can do is analyse his technique which seems fine for me. I hate all that stop start bollocks.
Firstly before I get attacked. You’re definitely right in that we don’t know.

I just think we’ve seen a few hints here and there that he’s just not really a penalty taker. Little hints like him not being a natural goalscorer kind of hint at it as well. Missing completely is also a bit concerning.

Also in open play like you’ve said he’s not really someone you’re trusting to score if 1on1 with a keeper. Funny enough neither of these things apply to Havertz or Jorginho yet they are in the high 80s so I could just be chatting rubbish.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Salah really shouldn’t be taking pens either tbf, but it’s different as he’s their go to goalscorer. Same with Auba but there’s definitely merit in letting your main goalscorer take the pens.

I don’t even see Saka as our go to guy for goals, he’s more of a second/third option in the final version of this team. So I wouldn’t keep him on pens if there’s a starter with a better record. There isn’t at the moment so I’m happy to keep him as taker but the way he’s missing the target completely is concerning.

It would 100% be Jorginho for me if he started or Jesus if he had that dawg in him.

I think whoever is on them people will complain unless it’s like an abnormally high conversion rate.

Jorginho & Havertz conversion rate is only high because they used to fight over them at Chelsea, if one of them consistently took them all we’d see that rate inevitably drop to the 70-60% conversion range like everybody else.

We saw Jorginho miss the most important pens in his life at the World Cup. Two in the same match infact, which led to Italy’s exit.

It happens and I think the fans mindset towards them is currently incorrect tbh.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

There are competing arguments. Have a designated taker, everyone knows who is hitting it and that's that. Drawback the keepers know and they can prepare. One miss can become two misses that becomes three, you then take the player off them and further impact confidence. Leaving it to whoever feels confident might cause issues on the pitch as players grab the ball but can leave keepers less prepared.

Personally I prefer having a designated taker. It probably should be Jorginho if he starts then Saka.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
I’d be surprised if Saka becomes a 20 goal wide forward.

I’ve always felt that even at his very very best he’s gonna be more of a Hazard than a Salah and he’d have to really change his game and become more of a wide forward. I’m absolutely here for that but I can’t see it.

But yeah I’ve kept the first sentence nicely seperate from the rest so you can use it out of context to mock me if he does hit that.

Saka is only 21 though. Anything can happen but if he stays injury free and keeps improving he should improve over his 14 league goals this season

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Jorginho & Havertz conversion rate is only high because they used to fight over them at Chelsea, if one of them consistently took them all we’d see that rate inevitably drop to the 70-60% conversion range like everybody else.

Huh? Jorginho has taken over 60 penalties. Which is a huge number. Are you saying if he took more suddenly his conversion rate would plummet to 70-60%? To still have 86% conversion rate after taking so many penalties shows he is very good penalty taker.

We saw Jorginho miss the most important pens in his life at the World Cup. Two in the same match infact, which led to Italy’s exit.

He didn't miss two in same match. He missed two in two games against Switzerland. It wasn't the most important pen of his life, that was probably the pen he took against England in the Euros final...which he missed 😂

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Huh? Jorginho has taken over 60 penalties. Which is a huge number. Are you saying if he took more suddenly his conversion rate would plummet to 70-60%? To still have 86% conversion rate after taking so many penalties shows he is very good penalty taker.

Absolutely, I do. The more you take penalties the more your success rate diminishes, due to increase likelihood of mistakes or being studied. Seeing as Havertz also has a tidy record it’s clear that Jorginho didn’t take all the pens. Its really not a crazy statement at all.

I can’t think of a single aspect of football that’s hit harder by diminished returns than penalties really and if you can, I’d love to hear it.

As for your second point, I remembered his penalties at international level wrong but it takes nothing away from my point that there is no perfect penalty taker.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Absolutely, I do. The more you take penalties the more your success rate diminishes, due to increase likelihood of mistakes or being studied. Seeing as Havertz also has a tidy record it’s clear that Jorginho didn’t take all the pens. Its really not a crazy statement at all.

I get the part about diminishing returns and that you might need a large sample size to determine if someone is a good penalty taker but that shouldn't really apply to Jorginho as he has a large sample with a great conversion rate anyway.

If I said to you let's wait till we get a larger sample when judging a striker who scored 20 league goals in one season, that would make sense to you right? The sample is too small. Now if I said let's wait a bit longer to judge a striker who scored 20 league goals in 6 consecutive seasons it wouldn't make sense.

As for your second point, I remembered his penalties at international level wrong but it takes nothing away from my point that there is no perfect penalty taker.
Of course that goes without saying.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom