• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Draw Champions League Quarter Finals 1st Leg: Arsenal 2 - 2 Bayern Munich | Tuesday 9th April | KO: 20:00 BST | TNT Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

0_arsenal.jpg

Screenshot-20240407-212037-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20240407-211957-Chrome.jpg

Prediction

Arsenal 2-0 Bayern

HattoriHanzo

I really don't understand this underestimation of Bayern.

Elite european club with tonnes of experience in CL, with coach who is expert in cup competitions (and who already won CL), with striker who scores 40-50 goals per season (and who scored 14 goals against Arsenal in 19 matches before joining Bayern), with 17-18 players who are familiar to play in CL QF or semis, with squad who has 15 different ways to score.
And some people here expected that Arsenal will batter them?

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I really don't understand this underestimation of Bayern.

Elite european club with tonnes of experience in CL, with coach who is expert in cup competitions (and who already won CL), with striker who scores 40-50 goals per season (and who scored 14 goals against Arsenal in 19 matches before joining Bayern), with 17-18 players who are familiar to play in CL QF or semis, with squad who has 15 different ways to score.
And some people here expected that Arsenal will batter them?

Not batter them, but be able to compete with them on the day.

I dont think anyone underestimates Bayern and their pedigree, we all know that they are great historical side in the Champions League and they deserve respect. And you can be sure that the mood in the camp is exactly that, respect for a great side. It doesnt matter what supporters think in this regard.

We are talking about this contest next week, and where the teams are. The only difference really is the occasion and the experience in these occasions. We saw in our last game, how the players made uncharacteristic mistakes, so that is a problem yes. But, if we are able to compose ourselves and deliver the level of performances we've seen in the Premier League, then we are in with a good chance.

elemoo

I totally understand why some people have hope for next week and as fans we should but it really should be quite minimal at this point in a more wishful sense.

Based on this week’s game, there is no evidence to suggest we will win next week. In fact, everything suggests the opposite - despite the nerves and ocassion (a big factor I don’t think most of our team can deal with very well, leading to mistakes) their midfield completely controlled the tempo and toyed around with Rice and Jorginho, who at times seemed like they weren’t even there. Their wingers also looked too fast and skilled for our fullbacks to contain. No need to talk about Kane - he’ll score against us.

I think our only realistic chance would simply have to do a Liverpool and take bigger risks to out score them with a cohesive front line and I don’t think that involves Martinelli starting and as a much as I like Trossard, I think he’d be better as an impact sub after an hour of Havertz tiring out their defense with his runs (which he did with great effect on Tue) . Zinchenko and Partey are better at supporting our attacking play whilst having the awareness to track back AND cover spaces well (Zinny obv has the lapse of concentration issue at time).

Anyone going into next week thinking we’ll win, I’d love to hear what evidence you’re basing your opinion on bc if it’s PL form then you’re in for a rude awakening.

Of course, we CAN win but I think it will be down to mistakes from Bayern AND everyone having their best game of the season. A scenario that in my heart I hope comes true, unfortunately the evidence suggests otherwise.

This will be an exciting game whatever the result and a good metric to see where we are as a club and how to continue the (fantastic) process next season!

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The ref did a great job in that match, he let the game flow and it was a fantastic spectacle of exciting football. It would have been crazy to award that penalty against Gabriel for picking up the ball by mistake, and it was balanced out by not awarding Saka's leg fling. Nobody should have any complaints.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard

And we still have fans here with all respect who thinks Arteta is not the best tactical wise. I think he did an amazing job by putting on Zinchenko and change the shape in the first half a little bit. but Bayern is elite tbf.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Bayern are slight favourites, 55/45 for them

I can understand but they play at their own yard now and they cannot play so deep infront of their home fans if they do i am suprised. But i expect there will be more space for us to attack also on the wings which would be vital for this game. Jesus has to play in this game and also Martinelli.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I totally understand why some people have hope for next week and as fans we should but it really should be quite minimal at this point in a more wishful sense.

Based on this week’s game, there is no evidence to suggest we will win next week. In fact, everything suggests the opposite - despite the nerves and ocassion (a big factor I don’t think most of our team can deal with very well, leading to mistakes) their midfield completely controlled the tempo and toyed around with Rice and Jorginho, who at times seemed like they weren’t even there. Their wingers also looked too fast and skilled for our fullbacks to contain. No need to talk about Kane - he’ll score against us.

I think our only realistic chance would simply have to do a Liverpool and take bigger risks to out score them with a cohesive front line and I don’t think that involves Martinelli starting and as a much as I like Trossard, I think he’d be better as an impact sub after an hour of Havertz tiring out their defense with his runs (which he did with great effect on Tue) . Zinchenko and Partey are better at supporting our attacking play whilst having the awareness to track back AND cover spaces well (Zinny obv has the lapse of concentration issue at time).

Anyone going into next week thinking we’ll win, I’d love to hear what evidence you’re basing your opinion on bc if it’s PL form then you’re in for a rude awakening.

Of course, we CAN win but I think it will be down to mistakes from Bayern AND everyone having their best game of the season. A scenario that in my heart I hope comes true, unfortunately the evidence suggests otherwise.

This will be an exciting game whatever the result and a good metric to see where we are as a club and how to continue the (fantastic) process next season!

Bro the only reason Bayern got anything from the game because we gifted them an extremely cheap goal in a period where we were completely on top and should have been 2-0 up. I don't really understand this analysis.

HattoriHanzo

Bro the only reason Bayern got anything from the game because we gifted them an extremely cheap goal in a period where we were completely on top and should have been 2-0 up. I don't really understand this analysis.
We gifted them 2 goals actually.
They also had their chances, Coman hit the post, Sane also had big chance (thankfully White prevented him from scoring).

We drew in London without Bayern fans.
How can you be so confident that we will win in Germany?

HattoriHanzo

I can understand but they play at their own yard now and they cannot play so deep infront of their home fans if they do i am suprised. But i expect there will be more space for us to attack also on the wings which would be vital for this game. Jesus has to play in this game and also Martinelli.
Why?
They can play however they like.

SA Gunner

@elemoo seems to disregard the first spell until Bayern’s equaliser. It’s interesting that the Bayern midfield couldn’t toy with our players then, and we were completely dominating them.

Some supporters need to learn about game states and the impact that has on how teams approach the particular situation. When you are in an attack minded approach and the opponent is defensively minded and counter attack focused (look at the Bayern setup on the night) what do you think happens to who forces the issue and who sits back and waits for mistakes.

Similarly @elemoo, what do you think the overriding game state will be going into next week. That’s right, this time Bayern are home and have to force matters while Arsenal can sit back more and protect their lines. Guess by your logic our midfielders will toy with theirs then huh?

What happens if Arsenal take the lead in that game. I guess you’ll be calling our midfielders elite and theirs plumbers huh?

Analysis is important, but apply particular game contexts as well.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

We gifted them 2 goals actually.
They also had their chances, Coman hit the post, Sane also had big chance (thankfully White prevented him from scoring).

We drew in London without Bayern fans.
How can you be so confident that we will win in Germany?

Where did I say that we would win in Germany? I was responding to the post where it was portrayed that we got completely outplayed by Bayern which was well wide off of the mark. Bayern had two shots on target in the entire game; we also had a Saka 1v1 + White 1v1 where the former should have led to a PK and the latter should have buried.

This should have been a 2-1 victory to us; I don't accept the draw as a 'fair result' as some are suggesting.

Tnegs

On a positive note since away goals don’t matter anymore there is no real pressure on us to chase the game in the away leg. I think we’ve got the quality to get a result in Munich and if we don’t then the experience will be invaluable. Nothing has been determined yet we have a great chance of doing this.

elemoo

We gifted goals due to mistakes and Bayern quality who weren't even out of 2nd gear all game. They dominated our midfield bar Ødegaard who along with 2-3 others, didn't look overawed by the occasion.

Also their attacking threat is better than ours. I live in Berlin now and have been to the Allianz arena - it's going to be super hostile and will bring about even more nerves than at home when they had no fans.

What evidence have you seen in the 1st leg to suggest we won't gift them goals away from home? I think it's possible to win but only from an emotional 'hopeful Arsenal fan' type of way and simply taking massive risks to force them into errors themselves.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

We gifted goals due to mistakes and Bayern quality who weren't even out of 2nd gear all game. They dominated our midfield bar Ødegaard who along with 2-3 others, didn't look overawed by the occasion.

Also their attacking threat is better than ours. I live in Berlin now and have been to the Allianz arena - it's going to be super hostile and will bring about even more nerves than at home when they had no fans.

What evidence have you seen in the 1st leg to suggest we won't gift them goals away from home? I think it's possible to win but only from an emotional 'hopeful Arsenal fan' type of way and simply taking massive risks to force them into errors themselves.

They had a 20-25 minute period in the first half where they were on top, you're completely over egging the impact Bayern had in this game. If they had dominated so thoroughly as you suggest, they would have beaten us easily. Where was the Bayern midfield in the first 20 minutes when we should have been 2-0 up? Our bozo moment gifting them the first goal changed the ENTIRE game, our players became nervous and a bit reckless pushing up to score again.

In the away leg, we can sit in a deeper block where Bayern will want the initiative being at home and can have transition opportunities like they had vs us at the Emirates. I'm not saying we will win but it won't be the same game that was played at the Emirates. As for the evidence? The fact that we had them on toast and inexplicably gifted them a goal to bring them back in the game. That's the evidence I need to feel confident we can win in Germany; doesn't mean we will but can.

elemoo

@elemoo seems to disregard the first spell until Bayern’s equaliser. It’s interesting that the Bayern midfield couldn’t toy with our players then, and we were completely dominating them.

Some supporters need to learn about game states and the impact that has on how teams approach the particular situation. When you are in an attack minded approach and the opponent is defensively minded and counter attack focused (look at the Bayern setup on the night) what do you think happens to who forces the issue and who sits back and waits for mistakes.

Similarly @elemoo, what do you think the overriding game state will be going into next week. That’s right, this time Bayern are home and have to force matters while Arsenal can sit back more and protect their lines. Guess by your logic our midfielders will toy with theirs then huh?

What happens if Arsenal take the lead in that game. I guess you’ll be calling our midfielders elite and theirs plumbers huh?

Analysis is important, but apply particular game contexts as well.

I agree that game state should be taken into account and we had a great opening 10-15mins. The equaliser came from Bayern pressure and quality but we were making mistakes despite this.

My assumption for next week? Bayern will come out of 2nd gear and go for it, but they certainly won't panic. If we have Martinelli then countering would be more effective however, Tuchel will know this and set up accordingly. Can our midfield state up their game, 100% and hope that is the case. But let's not act like it was even a close midfield battle.

I think part of my 'negative' analysis is due to the thread on match day with all the hype about battering them (there were many) so part of me got annoyed with our own fanbase for such naivety.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post but I have no evidence to support the notion we will be less error prone due to nerves etc and based on my viewing of the last game, we would do well to also go for it rather than just counter attack as I don't think we can sustain that for 90mins against their attack.

HattoriHanzo

I think that Bayern is second best team (behind City) Arsenal is facing this season (so far).
I consider them to be better than Liverpool, their attack and midfield is better than Liverpool's.
Neuer is world class GK.
Therefore they are definitely favourites at their ground.

SA Gunner

It doesn’t matter who was in that opening goal situation @elemoo, when you put pressure and mistakes are made, goals are scored. Both goals for Bayern were as a result of putting pressure, being direct and our mistakes.

Do you remember how Brentford scored at the Emirates? Yes that’s right, they put pressure on our defense.

Why am I not as convinced we will make the same mistakes again? Well because we have shown that we are in great form. And before you throw in your ifs and buts, consider the performances against the best in the PL (Liverpool) and best in Europe (City).

Anything can happen on the night. But please don’t speak as though you have facts, when you are just throwing hypotheticals.

SA Gunner

I think that Bayern is second best team (behind City) Arsenal is facing this season (so far).
I consider them to be better than Liverpool, their attack and midfield is better than Liverpool's.
Neuer is world class GK.
Therefore they are definitely favourites at their ground.

You know this is nonsense.

Bayern have been pathetic by their standards all season, have you actually watched them in the Bundesliga? They are not even in a title race this year.

You want to compare them to Liverpool, and say they are better. That’s great. But don’t lie to us by saying this team is better than Liverpool this season. An actual title challenging Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom