• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Win Premier League: Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 - 2 Arsenal | Saturday, April 20 | KO: 19:30 BST | Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
We didn't look dead today. Chelsea are after a grueling semi-final so won't exactly be coming in fresh on the back of disappointed with nothing left to play for. Sp**s obvious the big one but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

IMO the way the game panned out, think there is a good chance Wolves would have attained a draw if they had their better attacking players available.

I think Chelsea will be disappointed they didn't take their chances against City (they out xG'd them), I hope this doesn't change against us. I think this is going to be a very difficult game, Chelsea can compete against the best sides, its the remaining games they underperform in. And pretty sure we will be struggling physically and/or playing with injuries mid way through this run of games.

We are obviously capable of winning, really have to hope our defence remains very strong, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a poor result.

Arsenia

Well done to the team for grinding out the win despite the quick turnaround from the CL loss. Wolves may have had several players out, but the ones who played had the advantage of being well rested. The recovery the team needed wasn't just physical; it was also psychological and we saw how challenging this was in the first half and in the earlier FA Cup match as well.

Being ahead is a great psychological boost so the 2nd goal seemed only a matter of time (and 1-0 would have been fine too!). Hopefully this win + clean sheet lifts the team sufficiently for the match against Chelsea on Tuesday (which really should be on Wednesday, but at least Chelsea also played yesterday)

MikeVinna

Established Member
Tomi needs to get his **** together. Mans injured after every match it’s getting embarrassing. He’s easily the most solid option at LB. Dare I say we might have to play Zinny vs Chelski.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Really? I thought that was the main difference between the last two games - we looked like we could have played for another 90 minutes. Indeed, we were completely dominant in the second half and only poor decision making stopped us from winning 3/4-0.

I think so.

Pressing was way off in intensity. Even Ødegaard as the trigger was far off his usual energy levels. Saka must be carrying a knock along with fatigue I think. Rice was blowing really hard even though he played well.
I found the general play to be quite lethargic and missing the usual intensity.

I think we were fortunate to come up against a weakened and toothless Wolves side. A better side would have caused us trouble in the last 30 I feel.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Saliba and Gabriel looked back to their usual standard today which is key, any chance of winning the league is on their shoulders really.

And if Raya wins the golden glove then he should split it in half and give it to his 2 CBs, imo 😅

Yeah, Raya has been better than I expected but if he wins the golden glove then Saliba, Gabriel and White deserve a lot of praise too.

He's done well but those guys have really limited the threats on our goal so many times this season. Great protection from them.

amigo

Looking at the Citeh fixtures is depressing. Hard to see them dropping points. Will nicking poo for 2nd be considered a successful season?
May not want to use the word "successful" without the trophy. But it's hard to argue against it being a 'decent' season if we lose out by a couple of points only. It's like taking silver medal in an Olympic sprint final that goes to a photo finish. We want a big trophy, even I'd argue, need a big trophy as a club, but nothing is guaranteed in life especially when you're competing against teams with the resources that City have. We may appear to have cracked when the pressure was on but perhaps it was just unrealistic to expect us to near on win all our matches in 2024 and a loss was going to come somewhere. And if it came against the highest placed league opponent outside our direct rivals is that so surprising? The "bottle job" narrative can be such lazy thinking.

amigo

City won't go perfect, but neither will we. Liverpool are lucky to even be close, they are not featuring.
I love the way expectations swing. Liverpool are nailed on coz of their easy run in, no City will kill it, no we have the best defence so will do it, no Liverpool are out of it, etc.... that's the nature of a three horse race and it will be foolish to discount the chances of any of the three yet. Just one match day could completely change the odds round again, especially if City lose a game.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The 2nd half yesterday was definitely better than last tow games we dominated majority of it and we had more shots and not allowed Wolves to get near us. Maybe if they had Cunha and Neto fit could be another story.

It may help us against Chelsea we saved some energy because Chelsea side has pace and like to play against sides who press high

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
White will just find it annoying having to miss Garden Rescue on the telly and his daily game of Uno with the Mrs, to go to the award ceremony were he will get his team of the year plaque anyway.

So suits him better not to get in it, tbh.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I think so.

Pressing was way off in intensity. Even Ødegaard as the trigger was far off his usual energy levels. Saka must be carrying a knock along with fatigue I think. Rice was blowing really hard even though he played well.
I found the general play to be quite lethargic and missing the usual intensity.

I think we were fortunate to come up against a weakened and toothless Wolves side. A better side would have caused us trouble in the last 30 I feel.

I've just watched the highlights and I can't agree with this.

Just in injury time alone we created like 4 decent chances, if we were so gassed that wouldn't have happened.

Artemis

It looks like @SA Gunner 's prediction is playing out. We both said that this team can't go full throttle in both the CL and PL.

Arteta did it anyway and it ended up with losses against both Aston Villa & Bayern Munich.

Even though we won today, it's obvious to see that we're running on fumes. In particular, we have overplayed Rice. We have a difficult home game against Chelsea and we still need to go away to Sp**s & United. It'll be a bit of a miracle if we get the Title.

Let's assess where we are in one weeks' time after the Sp**s game. Either we are still in it (which would be amazing), or we could be totally out of it.

If we are out of it, then we will have to seriously re-assess this team's capabilities. It's not right that Man Utd could plausibly win an FA cup (and they won the Carabao cup last year) while they have a far inferior team to us.

@Riou might be correct after all, we may have wrongly neglected picking up many other trophies in search of the elusive PL Title.

Arteta built a good team. But his team have failed badly in Europe and if we can't secure the PL this season, then I would like to see us go for the FA cup next season. If we get the PL title alongside the FA cup, that would be wonderful.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Next week will decide it, if City win both matches then I think it's done (we need them to drop points in at least one of those away games) and we need to beat both our main London rivals.

Cause I have no faith now, I am weirdly looking forward to it...gonna be fun!

Artemis

Mourinho famously said that he first focused on the Carling cup at Chelsea - which he won - to give his team a winning mentality.

We have a good team, but do they have that winning mentality?

If they had a trophy under their belt (even if it's just the Carabao cup) it might have given them that extra bit of confidence. The level of panic I saw in the tail end of last season and also against Bayern Munich this season is simply not right.

This team hasn't won anything together and that might be the problem. Even though Arteta won the FA cup already, he did it with a totally different team. This was the team playing for him at that FA cup final against Chelsea:

Martinez
Holding
David Luiz
Tierney
Bellerin
Ceballos
Xhaka
Maitland-Niles
Pepe
Lacazette
Aubameyamg

Arteta has correctly got rid of them all (except Xhaka & Martinez - I believe he made an error with both).

But that 2019 team's limit was clearly the FA cup so it was 100% correct to disband it and build a different team that can compete for the PL and CL.

But this current team has no experience picking up any trophies together and the first trophy they want to pick up is the PL or CL. It might be too big a leap.

Anyway, let's see where we are next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 24

Thomas Partey will leave this summer. Arsenal have multiple targets lined up to replace him [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are still in the market for a recognised #9 despite the recent good form of Kai Havertz [Fabrizio Romano]

The club may accept that the time is now to sell Emile Smith Rowe, with just two years left on his contract [The Athletic]

Arsenal may sanction a loan to raise Aaron Ramsdale’s value if they can’t recoup their fee for him this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal are among a host of Premier League clubs hoping to sign Irish sensation Mason Melia (16). Melia, who is already playing first-team football for St Patrick’s Athletic in the League of Ireland, cannot move to the UK until he turns 18 due to Brexit rules [Evening Standard]

Juventus like Thomas Partey, and Napoli will try to sign him before June 30 as well [Di Marzio]

Latest posts

Top Bottom