• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Ospina: On Loan to Napoli

Bigbludfire

Established Member
You do realise that percentages fluctuate higher between less games being recorded right? It's literally basic maths. Unless you're genuinely just trolling.

Malky

Established Member
Ospina has made 35 saves in 18 games, 1.9 saves per game. Compared to Fabianski who is well over 3 saves per game. Ospina's distribution accuracy is 60% but he is hitting it over by far the shortest distance, Pantilimon for example is 53% accuracy but he's hitting an average of 55m, around 24metres more than Ospina. His catching is also below average compared to Fabianski, Courtois and Pantilimon.
But again, stats only tell you so much, never the full story.

vP3rcy

I think he's underrated. This last game has been the first for me where he's looked shaky. Obviously for the goal, but a misgrab like that was bound to happen eventually. Don't forget this is a different league than he is/was used to. After that he almost let a shot passed him when trying to punch it. Think the goal maybe hurt his confidence a little.

I think his positioning and distribution are miles ahead of Szczesny. Not to forget his calming presence. Would be content if he started for us next season. Let's just see how Sneezy does in the final.

Giroud

Established Member
De Gea couldn't catch a ball when he came to United and look at him now. Ospina's been decent but he was injured half the season and as he gets more accustomed to the English game I can see him improving significantly.

GabeGooner

Most of these stats don't make sense without their counterpart.

Fabianski is making more saves per game than Ospina, but he's playing in a lesser team with more work to do. How many more is he conceding per game in comparison to Ospina?

Pantilimon has less accuracy at a longer distance, whilst Ospina has more accuracy at a shorter distance. If Arsenal's system is to distribute the ball short, then Ospina (even if he had less accuracy than Pantilimon) would still be the better option.

The fact is, Ospina gives Arsenal more than Szczęsny does simply because he has instilled confidence in the defence. He's reliable. Szczęsny makes poor decisions and often distributes the ball to players in poor positions – putting the defence under pressure. Chelsea away is a key example; Szczęsny threw it to Gibbs (who was surrounded and hurriedly played it to Sánchez – who was also surrounded), we then immediately lost possession to Hazard, who danced past 2-3 players not properly positioned and we conceded the first goal in a crucial match. It's **** like that which you don't get from the stats, only from watching the game.

Personally, I think Ospina deserves to be our number one – for now. He's an improvement on what we had; he has done a good job for us, at a time when we needed it the most. He isn't perfect; Szczęsny offers some things Ospina does not (aerial ability and commanding of the box), but overall he's a more stable option. If we get Čech – fantastic. If we can get Casillas, Ter Stegen or Lloris – very good. If not, we'll be fine for another season if we address our issues with Mertesacker, Giroud and get another holding midfielder to rotate with Coquelin.

Proof

Established Member
You guys should stop comparing De Gea's first EPL season with Ospina's.

When he joined Man. Utd., David de Gea was a young goalkeeper with world-class potential, the future of Spain's national team, a legitimate quality player. He constantly put on MOTM performances for Atletico, showed up in the Europa League final and saved a penalty etc. Everybody knew he had the skills to become one of the best in the world.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
I don't get the De Gea comparisons, people have been doing it with Giroud and Henry too, Giroud and Drogba also, on here.

B_C_M

Follow the new rules, Szc is not our HG player anymore.
So I think if we can sign Cech, S1 will have to go. And number 1 will be Ospina. He's doing good

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I don't know if he still does but Welbeck use to have one of the best goal per 90 in the league. Shows how meaningless they can be.

A cursory glance at Welbeck and you knew him being a clinical striker is utter horsedung. If you can find those Welbeck stats, we can analyse them, but what can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

On Ospina, I feel like he's been a quietly efficient keeper. Doesn't seem to make too many outrageous saves, but just makes the necessary ones without slipping up too much. Is that enough for Arsenal? Maybe. Could we do better? Definitely. Is GK a priority for this team? I don't think so, but I wouldn't turn down a Cech deal.

Top Bottom