• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Can Welbeck take the next step?

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Welbeck is playing exactly like he was at United. If he had to improve he'd have done it when moving to a new club which plays him in his favoured position, with a manager who gives his players room to express themselves. But he hasn't, which leads me to conclude that his present level is all he's ever going to reach.
He's still a decent squad level player which gives us a different option off the bench, so I'm not going to say that the transfer has been useless.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I consider world class to be Henry level. Welbz is close to that.
giphy.gif

Jasinho

Imo Welbeck will never be anything other than a half decent player. The guy is 24 now and there's honestly no difference or improvement in his play since he broke through. He makes terrible decisions and awkward runs, has bad shooting accuracy, freezes in 1on1 situations by just striking straight at the keeper always, and doesn't have a nack for being in the right place at the right time, ie. the positioning that you'd expect of a great forward. He has good physical traits but his downfall is his brain, he's just not smart enough as a footballer. The worst part, as others have mentioned, is that his signing now prevents us from signing a proper quality striker because Wenger won't give up on him or Giroud right now.

Marmaduke

He has good physical traits but his downfall is his brain, he's just not smart enough as a footballer.

I don't think its a lack of footballing intelligence per se but rather composure and confidence that is needed in the final 3rd when split second decisions count. You have to believe in what you are doing.

Ings and Austin have less pressure when they go into a game because a bad game for their respective teams is a regular occurrence. Every time Arsenal play poorly with Welbeck, guess who is at fault in the eyes of fans? The new bambi on ice guy....

Besides Wenger has seemed to evolved a bit by now. We are looking to sell Ospina who had a decent season and we just recently bought. He is a more ruthless professor it seems.

thierrytheking14

Besides Wenger has seemed to evolved a bit by now. We are looking to sell Ospina who had a decent season and we just recently bought. He is a more ruthless professor it seems.

Not sure if its Wenger being ruthless or Ospina wanting first team action and jumping ship.

My reckoning is the 2nd one although time will tell I guess!

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wenger is a bit more ruthless now because he has the money to be more ruthless. He can afford to buy a better player. Before he didn't so he had to persevere with lesser players and just hope that he could make them better.

However, I still think he relies on his ability to improve players, and Welbeck is definitely one of those players. Welbeck has the work rate to play in our offense, and he has all the attributes to become a top striker. Wenger, and maybe Henry, just need to work hard at improving his finishing.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I forget he's here at times.

He's come here and done exactly what he did at Man U, if he is honest with himself this wasn't a good move.

Like some have suggested, he should have stepped down to a mid table or lesser club, be their star and build up enough clout for a top 4 team to take him more seriously.

I fear this is as good as he gets for Arsenal.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

If Welbeck is still here come September 1st it'll be because Wenger thinks he can contribute and hopefully because he has faith in him.

It'd bother me if we let him go because if we can improve his shooting technique just a little there's at least 10 more goals a year in there imo. He'd automatically be one of the league's better forwards.

Lilwizzle

Established Member
If Welbeck is still here come September 1st it'll be because Wenger thinks he can contribute and hopefully because he has faith in him.

It'd bother me if we let him go because if we can improve his shooting technique just a little there's at least 10 more goals a year in there imo. He'd automatically be one of the league's better forwards.
Surely you remember how long it takes Arsenal to get rid of the deadwood. He signed a 5 year, probably on like 80k a week, so he'll be here for atleast 2 more years, sadly.

Godwin1

Very well-known

Could say the same about a lot of fowards mate, if only Gervinho could finish etc.

fenxx

he is frustrating at times but there is a really good player in him somewhere.
his hat-trick against galatasaray early in the season showed glimpses of a player who can score difficult goals. he sometimes struggles with the easy opportunities.

to put it in perspective - he can dribble, has the ability to score, great pace, tracks back and defends and is physically perfect. if he can stay fit and start alongside alexis and either theo/ox, he will score more.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Could say the same about a lot of fowards mate, if only Gervinho could finish etc.

Yeah but with Gervinho he shat himself every time he had to make a decision on the pitch. Insane how much of his game was instinct based.

Welbz has a well rounded, solid game apart from his finishing. I think he's got a good football I.Q just technically his finishing's off.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He's English and an international, so if Wenger ever says "you're not in my first team plans", Welbeck will look to leave straight away.

These guys would rather start for West Ham or Swansea, than sit on their contract here.

Top Bottom