• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2015/2016

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
Not sure I agree that we'd be solid, pre-Coquelin for example shows were aren't close to being solid without a real DM in our midfield. Quite simply he wouldn't be playing otherwise mate, and Ramsey has never shown an aptitude for this role.

But I agree with you about adjusting out tactics should the need arise. I'd hope Wenger will be pragmatic, which he was sometimes last season, when Coquelin is out.

Yes I really hope Wenger is back in touch with his pragmatic side that enjoyed winning trophies and over his flirtation with Barcelona tiki-taka. His more pragmatic counter-attacking one touch style of 98-04 was more exciting than Barca anyway :)

law90026

Established Member
Why is no-one factoring in the probability of more emerging stars from the youth ranks a la last year, and most seasons? You guys don't think if push came to shove Bellerin couldn't do a descent job at DM, with his technique and recovery pace? Hell I think Chambers, Debuchy or Gabriel would be fine there to shut shyt down
New players are always nice, we'll get them I reckon.

... you can't be serious right? But, if you are, then it's kinda delusional to say that any of these people can just slot into DM. There's a reason why each player has a clearly-defined position (or a few) because it's not a Sunday league where you can just slot in and play.

law90026

Established Member
It really isn't anything like last year is it though.

Last year we didnt have a proper DM and 99% of us agreed it was a mistake not to address this before the season kicked off, it finally got addressed by force rather than intention and we brought in Coquelin who excelled.

So here we are now with a proper DM that we all wanted and if we don't sign another backup DM its classed as mismanagement? Role back the calendar 1 year and we would have been happy to enter the season with 1 proper DM and Arteta as backup........now we have that its not good enough......never ending!

It would be mismanagement though. It's been quite clear that Arteta is past it based on his limited appearances last year. Could he handle some games against the weaker opposition in the league? Probably.

But the concern now is that everything seems to be riding on Coq having (i) a continued amazing season with no drop-off and (ii) being able to last virtually all our games without fatigue or injury. That's a long shot don't you think?

pie

It really isn't anything like last year is it though.

Last year we didnt have a proper DM and 99% of us agreed it was a mistake not to address this before the season kicked off, it finally got addressed by force rather than intention and we brought in Coquelin who excelled.

So here we are now with a proper DM that we all wanted and if we don't sign another backup DM its classed as mismanagement? Role back the calendar 1 year and we would have been happy to enter the season with 1 proper DM and Arteta as backup........now we have that its not good enough......never ending!

Problem with that line of reasoning is that Arteta isn't good enough for top level football now. If Arteta was at the top of his game then it would be a different manner. Having Coquelin going into this season as a strong holding mid for us (and hoping he continues his form from last season) is a massive boost. Was highly upset going into last season with Arteta/Flamini as our options, and it proved to be a weak spot for us. Coquelin galvanised us and was a big part of our improvement. Massive regression now to go back to Arteta and Flamini.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not sure I agree that we'd be solid, pre-Coquelin for example shows were aren't close to being solid without a real DM in our midfield. Quite simply he wouldn't be playing otherwise mate, and Ramsey has never shown an aptitude for this role.

But I agree with you about adjusting out tactics should the need arise. I'd hope Wenger will be pragmatic, which he was sometimes last season, when Coquelin is out.

The biggest difference between Ramsey and Santi is tactical discipline, which was sorely lacking at the beginning of last season. We were playing a 4-1-4-1, and Ramsey was playing as an AM and seriously neglected his defensive duties.

Santi was also playing as an AM during the first half of the season, and only began to excel when we transitioned to a 4-2-3-1 and he partnered Coquelin.

Based on this pre-season, Santi has been playing a completely different role than he did last season, and is playing a lot deeper on the field. Ramsey also isn't playing nearly as high up the pitch either.

We know that both of them can contribute defensively, can transition from defense to offense quickly, and rarely turn the ball over.

Obviously, signing a great DM would be good, and pre-season is not the real season, but thus far this experiment looks like it could have solved a problem by making a tactical adjustment.

a_fourteen

Established Member
I would use Arteta exclusively in the Cl. Pair him with Cazorla with instructions to simply sit back. We should change our Cl approach to a more conservative absorb pressure and counter one.

Carlo Marx

Used to be the Voice of Reason, now raging
The biggest difference between Ramsey and Santi is tactical discipline, which was sorely lacking at the beginning of last season. We were playing a 4-1-4-1, and Ramsey was playing as an AM and seriously neglected his defensive duties.

Santi was also playing as an AM during the first half of the season, and only began to excel when we transitioned to a 4-2-3-1 and he partnered Coquelin.

Based on this pre-season, Santi has been playing a completely different role than he did last season, and is playing a lot deeper on the field. Ramsey also isn't playing nearly as high up the pitch either.

We know that both of them can contribute defensively, can transition from defense to offense quickly, and rarely turn the ball over.

Obviously, signing a great DM would be good, and pre-season is not the real season, but thus far this experiment looks like it could have solved a problem by making a tactical adjustment.

You hit the nail on the head there. Very well said.

Transition from defence to attack is mentioned all too seldom on these boards when it comes to CMs and DMs.

@a_fourteen You might get some stick on here for suggesting an Arteta-Cazorla midfield in the CL, but I agree with you that it could work tactically. The only problem is that AW may not be prepared to vary our tactics so as to accommodate their playing styles. Wouldn't want to see us play our "normal game" with those two in midfield.

a_fourteen

Established Member
You hit the nail on the head there. Very well said.

Transition from defence to attack is mentioned all too seldom on these boards when it comes to CMs and DMs.

@a_fourteen You might get some stick on here for suggesting an Arteta-Cazorla midfield in the CL, but I agree with you that it could work tactically. The only problem is that AW may not be prepared to vary our tactics so as to accommodate their playing styles. Wouldn't want to see us play our "normal game" with those two in midfield.
AW's tactics have never been right in the Cl. Too many times we've lost to teams weaker than us. The gung ho three points game works in the league but not in knockout tournaments. We must change our CL aapproach if we are to advance to the latter stages. I'd use a four man midfield with Cazorla, Arteta, Özil and wilshere to hold possession for as much as possible and look to counter through a combination of giroud, Walcott and Alexis.

pie

Arsène clearly thinks very highly of Ramsey. When you look at a lot of strongest XIs on here Ramsey misses out. Odd one of our strongest players isn't assured of a place, but it's understandable. Part of the main reason I don't think Arsène will sign any midfielders. We saw last season Arsène shifting Ramsey back when we were chasing matches, so I think that shows a hint as to what Arsène's future plans may be. At least an option he sees for Rambo.

Not a natural position for him, but we've seen players mature and be managed. It's not easy but it does happen. And it doesn't mean we still can't have Ramsey using his great energy to burst forward at times, just learn when to or when not to. His tendency to vacate the middle and open space for the opposition has worried me with him, but it's still not to say he can't be coached or mature. Ramsey may still see time out wide in some matches, but I fully expect to see him in the middle of the park again as well. We will see.

Emibury

I love the fact that there is virtually no question of any of our important players wanting to leave. Walcott and Cazorla just signed new contracts. Wilshere came straight out and rubbished the idea of leaving Arsenal. Not even a whisper of other key players - Özil, Sanchez, Ox, Ramsey - wanting to leave. It is so refreshing after the years of Nasri, Ade, RVP, Fabregas (and so on) pissing on us.

Our best players leaving was one of the three major issues holding us back in my opinion - the other two being tight financial constraints (now over) and the dreadful injury record (fingers crossed for the future)

MrBump

Arteta is by far our weakest player.

He is gods at controlling and reading the play but falls way too short if we're getting attacked. They just pass around him very easily.
I'd rather we put Jack there.

Let's all hope Coquelin stays strong for the season.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
I agree Arteta should only play when he has an athletic workhorse in midfield alongside him like Coquelin or Ramsey as soon as you start pairing him alongside Wilshere, Cazorla and Rosicky in midfield your asking for trouble, such feeble midfield partnerships were at the core of our devastating destructions at Stamford bridge and Anfield in 2014. I still however believe Arteta is useful as a leader off the field and in the dressing room hence why I'd want him to stick around, a lot of the younger players look up to him.
Arteta is by far our weakest player.

He is gods at controlling and reading the play but falls way too short if we're getting attacked. They just pass around him very easily.
I'd rather we put Jack there.

Let's all hope Coquelin stays strong for the season.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
So with Cazorla now signing a new contract as well, what happens with Ramsey? Cazorla is better than him right now, are we going to stick him on the wing?
We could try and go full Madrid by playing both of them at the base, but that will require us to adapt a higher line. Meaning we'd have to drop Per for Gabriel probably. Not sure if he is ready for that yet.

In any scenario two-three players that expect to be first choice will be getting dropped out next season. More if a new CF comes.

haha_arsenal

So with Cazorla now signing a new contract as well, what happens with Ramsey? Cazorla is better than him right now, are we going to stick him on the wing?
We could try and go full Madrid by playing both of them at the base, but that will require us to adapt a higher line. Meaning we'd have to drop Per for Gabriel probably. Not sure if he is ready for that yet.

In any scenario two-three players that expect to be first choice will be getting dropped out next season. More if a new CF comes.
Rotate ?
Against teams that actually play football, at the Emirates, we could see Santi -Ramsey.
A cold night at Stoke or against top side would be Coq-Santi.

Really love this team, it's been over a decade since I last have a feeling that they're players you really enjoy playing for Arsenal, no mercaneries ala RVP, Nasri, Cesc, Adebayor, Clichy, Hleb, Cole, Bendtner etc.
Guys like Rosicky or Theo who are here for almost ten years, plus the english core who are all academy players, add to that with qualities like Santi, Özil, Alexis, Kos, Nacho,

Well done mr Wenger.

Mastadon

Established Member
Give us a few trophyless years struggling for 4th and have the big clubs come in for them and they will all be off. This is the real world the moment the wheels start coming off the players will too except those who can't find better clubs.

MrBump

Looks like we're set as.....

Cech, ospina ----------- VERY STRONG
Bellerin, debuchy ---------- STRONG
Mertesacker, koscielny, Gabriel, chambers ----- STRONG
Coquelin, arteta, Flamini ----------- OK
Cazorla, Ramsey ----------- VERY STRONG
Özil, jack -------------VERY STRONG
Theo, Ox ----------- STRONG
Alexis, ???? ----------- STRONG (based off 1 player)
Giroud, Wellbeck ----------- GOOD

Leaves us 1 body short IMO, either at the wide spot or CF and pushing Wellbeck out wide.
Other obvious weak point is DM.

1 month to go in window, let's see what AW can dig out and also how fit our players can stay.

shkabo14

Leaves us 1 body short IMO, either at the wide spot or CF and pushing Wellbeck out wide.

1 month to go in window, let's see what AW can dig out and also how fit our players can stay.

You are spot on, as well as 99% of people here who share your opinion :)

This looks good on paper but most of us tend to forget that this leaque requires brute strength in addition to flair. Our lack of height and sheer power may prove to be the difference between finaly reaching the summit or another year if top 4.

Our Invincibles were pure class but were far from pushovers. You sometimes just need to fight fire with fire.

Barca is the only team in the history of football that managed to achieve greatness without serious physical power in their ranks.

Set pieces decide a lot of games, and we cannot expect to challenge if we concede a lot of goals without producing good numbers from our own corners.

To sum it up, we have great players, arguably the best squad depth in our history, but we lack steel and height which proved to be the difference in this leaque to many times to be overlooked.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member

Monreal, Gibbs -------GOOD
Özil, jack, ROSICKY ----------VERY STRONG
Theo, Ox, GNABRY----------- STRONG

FTFY ;)

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Welbeck's still injured? That must be some serious knee or whatever injury he picked up. Looks like we might not even be able to count on him.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom