• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joel Campbell: Got Out While He Could

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

When has he been pretty poor? More importantly though, when do you think he's been good?

Poor in every game except last night and Swansea. I think we lost or drew every other game hes played in so the team itself was ****e - not just him.

Maxim

I'm not even saying he has a future here, as I've posted many a time. Stranger things have happened though, and not too long ago.

You just seem to take pleasure in reassuring yourself (ad-fvcking-nauseum) and others, that he has no future here. "It's alright folks, he'll be gone soon, don't worry!" like some mental preacher of doom. This is football ffs. He's an Arsenal player... You should be hoping something great happens, not pissing on him at every turn regardless.

What on earth are you on about? The Arsenal fanbase has rightly lambasted Wenger for persisting with average players for years and Joel should not restart this cycle.

Of course I want Joel to turn into a world beater overnight and leads us to the title but that simply isn't gonna happen. We should have sold him and given his place to a young player who may actually develop into someone of use to the squad.

You continue being president of the Joel Campbell nuthuggers, I'll continue supporting the club.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Campbell merits further opportunities
The suspicion might persist that Joel Campbell lacks the quality to ever quite establish himself at Arsenal but there was enough here to suggest that final judgments should be resisted. He produced moments of real creative quality during the first-half and his willingness to track back for the team was also eye-catching.

Joel_Campbell_3509262b.jpg
Joel Campbell did well to track back when needed

In the second half he increasingly began to look as if he felt that he belonged at this level. His contribution to the third goal, when he cut inside and then produced a wonderful reverse pass for Alexis Sanchez, was superb. He also moved across the front three positions after Olivier Giroud was substituted. Every Arsenal forward was playing second-fiddle last night to the brilliant partnership of Sanchez and Mesut Özil but Campbell played his part and deserves further opportunity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...b-Champions-League-five-things-we-learnt.html

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
The Joel hype has gone from 0 to 100 real quick.

Podolski's left foot alone trounces all of Joel's attributes, in fact let's look at Joel's game shall we.

So what is it that he actually provides?

Can he finish? Occasionally I suppose, not a strength though.
Does he have pace? Absolutely not
Can he dribble? Not really
Can he beat a man? Nah
Strong in the air? Negative
Crossing? Nein
Is he creative? no no
Workrate? tbf he does get through a bit of work
Passing? Well, he really has that pass back to the RB down to a tee, and he did provide one excellent through ball to Alexis last night. But outside of that, can we really call this a strength of his? I don't think so.

Sorry to be so negative but people really need to get a grip.

And for the record, that post shouldn't be treated as a vote of confidence for the likes of Podolski/Gervinho, for me Joel will develop into that calibre of player, and we shouldn't be persisting with players of that level.

Rubbish. What do you call that peach of an assist then? And all the other wonderful passes he's done for club and country, whether or not his teammates have finished them off.

If anything, invention (prefer that to "creativity") is his biggest thing.

Marmaduke

People can't even own up that Joel could have a great game. Everyone makes errors in judgement and the little game time Campbell has shown us can't possibly be an indicator of what his level or ceiling really is.

Its tiring to bring up the Coq comparison but have at it. Not one person here would have thought the kid could make it, at 23, after seasons of disappointments.

I'll bring up another point. Why doesn't Ox get a fifth of the criticism that Joel gets? Ox had a pretty big chance (ended short due to his injury) and made nothing out of it. He was the teams largest liability is several games.

***Also saying his performance was 3/10 against Zagreb is just dumb***

Maxim

Rubbish. What do you call that peach of an assist then? And all the other wonderful passes he's done for club and country, whether or not his teammates have finished them off.

If anything, invention (prefer that to "creativity") is his biggest thing.

He has 6 assists in his last 5 seasons. I think claiming invention is his biggest thing is quite ludicrous.

People can't even own up that Joel could have a great game. Everyone makes errors in judgement and the little game time Campbell has shown us can't possibly be an indicator of what his level or ceiling really is.

Its tiring to bring up the Coq comparison but have at it. Not one person here would have thought the kid could make it, at 23, after seasons of disappointments.

I'll bring up another point. Why doesn't Ox get a fifth of the criticism that Joel gets? Ox had a pretty big chance (ended short due to his injury) and made nothing out of it. He was the teams largest liability is several games.

***Also saying his performance was 3/10 against Zagreb is just dumb***

I don't get the Coq comparison at all, Coquelin was always tenacious and a brilliant tackler it was simplifying his game to playing almost purely as a destroyer and the gap in our squad that allowed him to flourish.

I am certainly not basing my opinion of Joel on the games he's played this season, he's spent many seasons on loan and shown his level.

Joel is in a very different situation to Coq. Firstly he's an attacking player, to hold down a place as an attacker at a team like Arsenal there needs to be real quality to your game, which Joel simply doesn't have and hasn't really ever shown.

Ox gets loads of criticism, with some posters even suggesting that he should be lower down the pecking order than Joel. Although he has a fair way to go, he has shown flashes of pure brilliance against the best of the best.

I'll be delighted if Joel can prove me wrong but its supremely unlikely, and this thread needs a dose of realism before the gushing really gets out of control.

And nobody said his performance was 3/10 against Zagreb?

Kanonier

Not sure how the lack of playing time could have killed his pace-did he ever have any? I agree though that he'd be better off at a slightly lower level club or another league, playing all the time. I hope he can do well for us whilst he's getting game time but I don't see a future for him at Arsenal.

Of course the lack of playing time affects his pace and most importantly his confidence and link up play with your teammates. Joel in the past had much better pace when playing against top national teams like Spain (2-2), Uruguay (3-1), and Italy (1-0) and has had great games during his stints at Olympiakos, Betis, and Villareal. But yes, I also don't see a future for him at Arsenal not because of his lack of quality but because of the competition in his position against players that are fan favorites and coveted by the media simply because they are English (Ox and Welbeck in particular). I'm Costa Rican first but I also would prefer to have a better option at RW than Ox, Wellbeck or Joel so I don't take it personally. Arsenal needs top talent in every position.

Honestly, to me the most overrated player at Arsenal is Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jack Wilshere better get his **** straight and get healthy as he is also making himself vulnerable to being another "could've been great".

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Of course the lack of playing time affects his pace and most importantly his confidence and link up play with your teammates. Joel in the past had much better pace when playing against top national teams like Spain (2-2), Uruguay (3-1), and Italy (1-0) and has had great games during his stints at Olympiakos, Betis, and Villareal. But yes, I also don't see a future for him at Arsenal not because of his lack of quality but because of the competition in his position against players that are fan favorites and coveted by the media simply because they are English (Ox and Welbeck in particular). I'm Costa Rican first but I also would prefer to have a better option at RW than Ox, Wellbeck or Joel so I don't take it personally. Arsenal needs top talent in every position.

Honestly, to me the most overrated player at Arsenal is Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jack Wilshere better get his **** straight and get healthy as he is also making himself vulnerable to being another "could've been great".
So a player can become slower by not playing regularly.........this is a new one for me. He's quick but not quick enough to regularly beat his man on the wing in the manner that Welbeck or The Ox can.

If he had the requisite quality he'd be starting above Welbeck & The Ox, simple-regardless of passport.

He has a role to play for us this season no doubt & most hope that he'll provide enough quality on the flank whilst certain players are getting back from injury.

Last edited:

ipgs

Now Ramsey has come back and most probably Chamberlain will be available this weekend. And then Walcott. So whether it is true that Campbell needs more playing time to demonstrate his value to the team, the next two or three matchs seem to be the last opportunities. He must seize them with both his feet.

StoppageTime

The Joel hype has gone from 0 to 100 real quick.

Podolski's left foot alone trounces all of Joel's attributes, in fact let's look at Joel's game shall we.

So what is it that he actually provides?

Can he finish? Occasionally I suppose, not a strength though.
Does he have pace? Absolutely not
Can he dribble? Not really
Can he beat a man? Nah
Strong in the air? Negative
Crossing? Nein
Is he creative? no no
Workrate? tbf he does get through a bit of work
Passing? Well, he really has that pass back to the RB down to a tee, and he did provide one excellent through ball to Alexis last night. But outside of that, can we really call this a strength of his? I don't think so.

Sorry to be so negative but people really need to get a grip.

And for the record, that post shouldn't be treated as a vote of confidence for the likes of Podolski/Gervinho, for me Joel will develop into that calibre of player, and we shouldn't be persisting with players of that level.

And you've determined all this after hes played a few games coming off an eternity on the sidelines.

Seems reasonable.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The Ox, initially, was top drawer and has lived off to that to an extent, Campbell wasn't, Im not the biggest fan of Joel, his miss against West Bromwich was atrocious but he has earned the right to have time, time that was afforded in abundance to Walcott Ramsey and the Ox.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Campbell is a good dribbler, he has fantastic close control. He whipped in a few decent crosses with his right peg against Dinamo which was nice to see.

Weirdly enough I actually want him to start against Norwich, I feel as though there's more to come.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Good enough for a back up role at Arsenal. Wingers I want to see starting at Arsenal should be Sanchez level. Ox has the potential to reach that level. Joel doesn't.
With our troubles with injuries even a back up role should see him get decent game time.

Highbury Rock City

Campbells neither a problem or a solution. He's our forth, maby even fifth choiche at the right wing. So with that in mind it's not that bad that we have him, tbh.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

If he manages to be a useful squad player for us in the coming years, it would be a huge success.

Don't forget he played in Costa Rica up until his 19th, before we signed him for a Twix. He hasn't had the education and training that players in England get, had he been trained here from a young age he would have been a much better player, yet he is doing pretty well for us. Speaks volumes about his talent and character really.

StoppageTime

Ox went on a run, last year was it, where he was our most dangerous attacker, ripping defenders to shreds as we all know he can, so I'm not quite as worried that he won't make it here, I think it comes down to getting an extended run in the team more than anything.

Joel is a very good player imo. I was basically the ONLY person (besides Jury) who felt he had something to offer after his first couple games. Just look at this thread. So let's reserve judgement until he's gotten himself accustomed to preceding here and we've actually got a good feel of what he's about since we afford that to every other player.

I must say though, I like what I've seen so far, and its only going to get better with matches.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Ox cost alot more money, so naturally Wenger will give him mins instead.

Overall though, Ox has been a disappointment so far for me. It's always 'next year' - here we were approaching Xmas again and he's doing nothing or getting injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom