• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: 20 Years and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
On that context it doesn't matter which is better, but that the 2 are scraps. Rejects from the actual elite teams.
One whole team improved for one departure, whereas the other team improved on an individual.

No more from me. :lol:

Godwin1

Very well-known
We needed at least 3 players capable of going straight in and we got them. Underwhelming in known quality for other clubs imo, but the deficit was at least addressed.

Adequate performance from Wenger in the window for once, so credit where it's due.
Wonder if fan and media pressure made any contribution to these signings? At least the cat is out the bag now though, Wenger does indeed have money to spend.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Wonder if fan and media pressure made any contribution to these signings? At least the cat is out the bag now though, Wenger does indeed have money to spend.
I'm sure it did, regarding fan and media pressure. As much credit as he gets for grabbing what we needed, it's not what he's done in the past, so you'd have to say it's a sign of a man on the edge, and not in complete control anymore. Probably sounds harsh, but I touched on this earlier in the thread, and it's exactly what he's ended up doing.

And yeah, so much for Kroenke not giving him any pocket money. What a load of balls!

GDeep™

League is very weak
Our spending this summer is nothing to write home about, every half decent club has a 100M budget, and let's not forget we didn't spend last summer.

People think we can spend 60/70M to attract the very best players, I'm not sure.

Mr_Stabbems

~Not sure if its been mentioned or not but i seriously doubt AW sits at the negotiating table, i really dont think he sets the budgets for values for players either.

Its far more likely he states preference and what he thinks the players are worth and then the board and the negotiators go out and do their thing (or lackthereof)

The media stuff is abit of a joke, when you have people like supposed fan John Cross immediately slating perez and mustafi as panic buys....hows the club supposed to win? try sign the guy for weeks and its "you're not doing enough" get it done and its "panic buy"

Feeding on the fans unrest and further fueling the hostility just to sell papers.

GDeep™

League is very weak
~Not sure if its been mentioned or not but i seriously doubt AW sits at the negotiating table, i really dont think he sets the budgets for values for players either.

Its far more likely he states preference and what he thinks the players are worth and then the board and the negotiators go out and do their thing (or lackthereof)

The media stuff is abit of a joke, when you have people like supposed fan John Cross immediately slating perez and mustafi as panic buys....hows the club supposed to win? try sign the guy for weeks and its "you're not doing enough" get it done and its "panic buy"

Feeding on the fans unrest and further fueling the hostility just to sell papers.

Good post but it's useless on this forum.

Toast

Established Member
Gazidis at the 2011 AST Q&A: Wenger can’t be removed from financial side of negotiations as he judges quality & value of targets.

In 2013 the Telegraph also noted that Wenger decides how much each player is paid, within the budget he's given.

Wenger commented today on transfers: "I met some people in the VIP rooms before games but it is not the best place to do deals but that is why it was very late, it is not ideal for us."

So, even if he's not actually at the negotation table he is clearly involved at least informally and he damn sure determines what those at the table say and offer.

Bergkamp120

I said the same thing yesterday when people were blaming Wenger for the two installments offer for Perez. He obviously has a role in the valuation (and sometimes he's overruled..arseblog said AW didn't decide Xhaka's transfer fee) but I doubt that he has a direct role in the negotiations. That's up to Law, Gazidis and the board.

OShea's2010

We may have plugged some gaps in the squad, but Wenger still needs to go at the end of the season. We will not win the league under this manager. I am concerned him buying players will calm the pressure from fans leading him to sign a new contract with little opposition. Wenger cannot compete with pep, Jose, conte or even klopp on a tactical or motivational level. A new manager could do a lot with this squad.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

b3913ba4e38ec5a1214a940c76051b07.gif

Vistula

Let's be real, most of the big managers already made their move and signed long-term contracts with various clubs, last season was the best time to make a change. Now we'd end up with someone who just isn't best for Arsenal. I am expecting Wenger to sign another two/three-year extension. And don't get your hopes up for Simeone, he's staying at Atletico for a long, long time.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Wenger said he didn't think contract negotiations would be so tough this summer. He does set out what he thinks a player is worth and I think a manager is the best person to determine that. We can't afford to be robbed like financially doped PL teams either. Whether there was a plan or fan pressure,he's eventually made the signings in the positions that needed them. There are accusations that he's tactically naive-my heart says he is but my head knows that he's not.He's had to adjust to the swing in player/manager power and hasn't had the depth of quality of previous squads. My main criticism is that he's been too loyal to under performing and unfit players. I like the ruthless way Pep has dealt with Joe Hart. There are rumours in the French press that the board didn't back the pursuit of Griezmann and Lewandowski. There's no way we'd be their first choice club but throw enough money about and you often get what you want. No other manager will have as much control or take on as much responsibility-depending on your POV.
For the record, I love Wenger but he frustrates the life out of me sometimes to the extent that I want him sacked.
It's been a quality signing but porly timed transfer window which I hope brings us the double and a better CL run. It's no less than Wenger's prudent and loving stewardship and our patience,support and money deserve. COYG-Forever Arsenal.

novarek

With the signings he bought time until September 24th when we face Conte. or maybe until Hull if they can keep up that form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom