• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Alaba

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Imagine having Alaba and Bellerin as your fullbacks. Damn.

We need more title challenges and a few solid
CL runs before we can attract players like him though.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Great player but I don't think he'd be a good signing for us. Given our stature he'd be constantly asking to play CM.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He is left footed though and so is Xhaka and Jack. That's like 3 left footers for one position.

Does that really matter much? I mean he'd be more of a Kante type imo in midfield. He's got an incredible engine, and is very underrated on the ball but we wouldn't be running the game through him.

The major advantage he'd have over any defensive midfielder like Coquelin or even Kante is that the opposition wouldn't be able to sit off him like they do with us currently because they know Coq can only really do simple 5 yard passes.

Alaba has the build of a DM but with the pace of a winger, great defensive instincts and the long shooting of someone like Xhaka, that goal he scored against us last year is in his locker and he's got very good technical ability. There's not another guy like him in world football.

I don't wanna sound too crazy but we have a lot of unique players who defy traditional positional labels. The likes of Bellerin, Özil, Alexis, Walcott, Ramsey are sometimes criticised on here for not fitting their roles. Pre-season Alexis wasn't thought of as a striker, Walcott isn't quite a winger or a striker, Özil doesnt play like a traditional no. 10 and drifts around a lot, Ramsey gets forward too much for a CM.

Maybe instead of trying to pigeonhole these players, Wenger should embrace their lack of positional fit. I believe football was perfected first in the 50s by Burnley and then by Ajax and Holland in the 70s. Football in its purest form, 10 outfield players without a predetermined role playing completely fluidly, changing position based on in game situations. 11 men playing as one capable of playing in different positions.

Put Alaba in our team and Santi aside everyone's a super athletic, technically gifted freak. Ox and Iwobi are poor in the final third? Fine, they have the build to play in the middle of the park or seen as both are great at running the ball from deep they could fill in as full backs while Alaba and Bellerin work the wings. Kos and Mustafi are fast and excellent on the ball for defenders so let them go forward while Xhaka and Alaba can drop in and cover for them.

Football as a collective over the individual, a team that utilises space and the creation of it. It's tailor made for Özil, is there a player today who understands space better than him?

I know I've gone on and on and this sounds a bit fan fictiony but honestly you put Alaba in our team and the footballing possibilities are endless, if Wenger's final gift to the footballing world was the true return of total football is there a better ending for him than that?

Last edited:

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Does that really matter much? I mean he'd be more of a Kante type imo in midfield. He's got an incredible engine, and is very underrated on the ball but we wouldn't be running the game through him.

The major advantage he'd have over any defensive midfielder like Coquelin or even Kante is that the opposition wouldn't be able to sit off him like they do with us currently because they know Coq can only really do simple 5 yard passes.

Alaba has the build of a DM but with the pace of a winger, great defensive instincts and the long shooting of someone like Xhaka, that goal he scored against us last year is in his locker and he's got very good technical ability. There's not another guy like him in world football.

I don't wanna sound too crazy but we have a lot of unique players who defy traditional positional labels. The likes of Bellerin, Özil, Alexis, Walcott, Ramsey are sometimes criticised on here for not fitting their roles. Pre-season Alexis wasn't thought of as a striker, Walcott isn't quite a winger or a striker, Özil doesnt play like a traditional no. 10 and drifts around a lot, Ramsey gets forward too much for a CM.

Maybe instead of trying to pigeonhole these players, Wenger should embrace their lack of positional fit. I believe football was perfected first in the 50s by Burnley and then by Ajax and Holland in the 70s. Football in its purest form, 10 outfield players without a predetermined role playing completely fluidly, changing position based on in game situations. 11 men playing as one capable of playing in different positions.

Put Alaba in our team and Santi aside everyone's a super athletic, technically gifted freak. Ox and Iwobi are poor in the final third? Fine, they have the build to play in the middle of the park or seen as both are great at running the ball from deep they could fill in as full backs while Alaba and Bellerin work the wings. Kos and Mustafi are fast and excellent on the ball for defenders so let them go forward while Xhaka and Alaba can drop in and cover for them.

Football as a collective over the individual, a team that utilises space and the creation of it. It's tailor made for Özil, is there a player today who understands space better than him?

I know I've gone on and on and this sounds a bit fan fictiony but honestly you put Alaba in our team and the footballing possibilities are endless, if Wenger's final gift to the footballing world was the true return of total football is there a better ending for him than that?
Beautiful post, I'm sold.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I know he's played multiple positions but if he would play LWB for us, that would be super incredible. I feel he could be world class at that position, and it needn't necessarily dampen his attacking instincts. Many of the WC wing backs are adept at both attack and defence. I feel he's been made a jack of all trades and whilst he's really good, he hasn't become a master at any particular one.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Unless Alaba personally wants to come here due to German contingent & Wenger, we have little to no chances of getting him.

I've mentioned too many times, but for LB position we should put all our efforts in Gaya from Valencia. That kid has immense potential, great crossing and fantastic athleticism. He's be a copy of Bellerin on the left.

With Valencia poor form on LaLiga and their financial problems, Wenger should pounce for Gaya.

arsmile

Established Member
he's always my first signing on football manager!

him and bellerin as fullbacks would turn any team world class

don't see how this happens though....

Impact

Established Member
Unless Alaba personally wants to come here due to German contingent & Wenger, we have little to no chances of getting him.

I've mentioned too many times, but for LB position we should put all our efforts in Gaya from Valencia. That kid has immense potential, great crossing and fantastic athleticism. He's be a copy of Bellerin on the left.

With Valencia poor form on LaLiga and their financial problems, Wenger should pounce for Gaya.

Lad is like 2ft tall. Doesn't that worry you?

Latest posts+

Top Bottom