• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Xhaka and ?

Who should partner Xhaka in midfield?

• Total voters

Vibra

Established Member
Having two extremely one footed players in your midfield is pretty bad when it comes to moving the ball when the opponent drops deep, really slows down the game

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Coquelin's ball winning ability is a powerful weapon (ie 1st goal Saturday). It gives us many chances to counter. This is something that Elneny is just incapable of providing. Elneny's passing range might be slightly better but Coq is much better at dribbling with the ball in tight spaces and moving it quickly as long as there is somebody available within the short passing range.

Elneny is extremely useful as a squad player but Coq is starter material.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Xhaka and Coq. I said it at the beginning of the season, and I'm still saying it.

It's Caz and Coq as well, btw. Coq is indispensable in midfield, imo, unless your playing a 3 or a 4. He is our only true defensive midfielder.

ElNenny can have a seat, and Ramsey can sub on the wing.

ksarp

Coquelin really impressed me today tbh.

By far the worst technically of our midfield options but he's aware of that - keeps it simple and much quicker in possession than Elneny/Ramsey. Really helps the intensity of our game.

When you say "worst" technically, are you referring to creativity? I ask because for me, technical ability incorporates soccer IQ, of which Coq has plenty of. For example, I believe Ramsey is more gifted naturally, but Coq is more technical.

Neny to me is the worst of the bunch. He's not particularly great at anything, just moves the ball as quickly as he can. He's the squaddie here.

I thought I was beginning to see Xhaka start to dominate towards the end of the game, and I hope it continues. As for Ramsey, if Barca are silly enough to throw 40 mil at us, we should take it!

say yes

forum master baiter
When you say "worst" technically, are you referring to creativity? I ask because for me, technical ability incorporates soccer IQ, of which Coq has plenty of. For example, I believe Ramsey is more gifted naturally, but Coq is more technical.

Nope, technique for me has always related to how well a player strikes/controls the ball.

Very distinct from soccer IQ in my eyes. Ramsey for example has sublime technique, but limited football intelligence.

Just a matter of differing terminology though, as seems that we agree with regard to their respective qualities.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I am a big Coq fan, but I feel like his performance Saturday pushed him forward as #1 option for a lot of people. All options have their advantages, I'm just happy that we have them. Xhaka needs to play though, I agree.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Having two extremely one footed players in your midfield is pretty bad when it comes to moving the ball when the opponent drops deep, really slows down the game

That is where the lack of Cazorla is felt most deeply. He is so good with both feet. When he is on song, he is worth the entrance fee alone.

As for the question, I think Coq is proving himself somewhat indispensable at the moment. Man to man he is no pushover, and we need that bit of muscle at times.

Nope, technique for me has always related to how well a player strikes/controls the ball.

Very distinct from soccer IQ in my eyes. Ramsey for example has sublime technique, but limited football intelligence.

Just a matter of differing terminology though, as seems that we agree with regard to their respective qualities.
Ramsey has poor technique but good ideas.

Coq has very solid technique, which incorporates first touch as well as the general control and manipulation of the ball.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Following out from @Fallout's viewpoint on the tactics thread, where he mentions the need for Özil and Sanchez to reverse their current roles more. Its influenced the type of midfield I would put out.

--------------------Özil
-----------Elneny--------Coquelin
--------------------Xhaka

Ramsey would probably make a case to play in Coquelin's place, but I just cant forget Francis' desire to turn over the ball so high up the pitch.

To answer the original question, Id like to propose three players, namely Xhaka and Coquelin and Elneny. Xhaka to give us line break passing from deep, Elneny to help our centerbacks, and Coquelin to do what he does.

This way Özil stays where he needs to be, up the pitch, and can run in behind as well if he needs to.

Thoughts?

scytheavatar

Established Member
69ol1ud0xl1y.jpg

Admit it, if Coquelin was a Leicester player everyone would have wanted us to buy him.

Last edited:
Following out from @Fallout's viewpoint on the tactics thread, where he mentions the need for Özil and Sanchez to reverse their current roles more. Its influenced the type of midfield I would put out.

--------------------Özil
-----------Elneny--------Coquelin
--------------------Xhaka

Ramsey would probably make a case to play in Coquelin's place, but I just cant forget Francis' desire to turn over the ball so high up the pitch.

To answer the original question, Id like to propose three players, namely Xhaka and Coquelin and Elneny. Xhaka to give us line break passing from deep, Elneny to help our centerbacks, and Coquelin to do what he does.

This way Özil stays where he needs to be, up the pitch, and can run in behind as well if he needs to.

Thoughts?
Lovely in theory, but we'd really need to work our fullbacks even more going forward.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
i want this, at least for a couple of games:

Coquelin Xhaka
Ramsey Özil The Ox
Alexis​

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
y-tho.jpg

Obviously we have to partner Xhaka with Coquelin. It's the only logical choice while Santi is out.
because i saw our best football in years with that set up.
because ramsey on form can be a game changer player, he adds balance and he can help on transitions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom