• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

say yes

forum master baiter
We are so terrible away. Didnt Emery go a whole season without an away win once? Makes you think.

We’ve already got more away wins now, in February, than we managed in the entirety of last season. Despite an injury crisis.

Makes you think.

say yes

forum master baiter
I thought we'd seen the end of the back 3/5 :(.

I think we had, until Bellerin got injured.

We don’t have any wingers in the squad, which means if we want to have any natural width we have to rely on our fullbacks. That means constantly pushing Kolasinac and (now) one of Maitland-Niles / Lichtsteiner forward. Miles isn’t a natural defender and Kolasinac has always done best as a wingback. Back 5 to compensate makes complete sense in theory.

It hasn’t worked in practice yet but I don’t fault Emery one bit for trying to get that balance right. Don’t think for one second it’s a system he wants to play: he’s been dogmatically 433/4231 his entire career but his hands are forced here.

Will eat my hat if this is his preferred formation next season.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I think the diamond formation is currently the most ideal for us. It allows us to maximize the potential of Lacazette and Aubameyang as a pair, and lets us play with 3 midfielders and hence preventing us from being outnumbered 2 to 3 like it's been in some recent games. But like @say yes said, without Bellerin and any real wingers our right hand side is basically non-existent. So back three or back four doesn't matter, we have become a completely left-hand side biased team with Kolasinac. I really wish we signed a RB in January instead of bothering with Suarez.

blaze_of_glory

I hope he can turn it around and have genuine success. I was really impressed with the first few months. Maybe this is just a bump on the road. I dunno.

I would like to see some attempt at playing with some flair though. Sports are about aesthetics to some degree. Or at least they play a part.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I think we had, until Bellerin got injured.

We don’t have any wingers in the squad, which means if we want to have any natural width we have to rely on our fullbacks. That means constantly pushing Kolasinac and (now) one of Maitland-Niles / Lichtsteiner forward. Miles isn’t a natural defender and Kolasinac has always done best as a wingback. Back 5 to compensate makes complete sense in theory.

It hasn’t worked in practice yet but I don’t fault Emery one bit for trying to get that balance right. Don’t think for one second it’s a system he wants to play: he’s been dogmatically 433/4231 his entire career but his hands are forced here.

Will eat my hat if this is his preferred formation next season.

Fully aware 3 at the back isn’t his preferred system, I’ve stated as much. The reason I say him playing 3 at the back doesn’t make sense is simply down to the quality of our performances and our results.

Kolasinac has actually had some decent games at LB, it’s not as if his ability to get forward is restricted there. We’re not keeping clean sheets in any formation, why not play an attacking one to give yourself more of a chance to score goals and win the game.

I’m super intrigued to see what’s gonna happen in the summer. Despite some promising signings I always knew our lack of a genuine winger would become a problem.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I really like that people are turning on Emery. I think he's an awful coach, and our matches are a nightmare to watch regardless of the result.

I hope we get rid of him soon. Not expecting that to happen, but I can hope.

Firstly, I still have no idea how Emery wants his team to play besides pressing and working hard. We have no creativity. He is like a Spanish Moyes. Just a nightmare.

However, the Özil and Ramsey situations really show Emery's tragic weakness. And sure, the board and other people are influencing his decisions with these two, but it isn't like Emery has no influence.

Emery doesn't seem capable of managing elite players. He might be able to coach good players and get them to raise their level, but once that happens the players move to a better team with a better coach.

At PSG, Emery couldn't manage Neymar, and he didn't even win the French league in his first season. In his second, season he had Neymar and Mbappe and kind of let them do whatever they wanted because they were better than he could coach. PSG won the league, got humiliated by Barca in the Champs League, and PSG brought in Tuchel: who is a better coach.

Right now Emery's system does not have space for our elite players, and he's willing to battle with the board to push out Özil and Ramsey. A better coach would have a system that works for these two, and would fight with the board to keep them.

At PSG, Tuchel is fighting with the PSG brass to let him play Rabiot. He hasn't won that battle, but that's the type of battle that a top coach picks.

Emery is fighting so that we play worse. Also, Emery's approach is basically telling top players that you shouldn't come to Arsenal. Either the coach won't find a way for you to play in his system, or the board will get upset that you earn a lot of money and try to push you out.

The scope of how bad Emery is at managing elite players honestly is worse than I could have imagined.

Emery can't coach at this level, and right now there is no reason why a top player should want to come here.

Leaving out Özil will result in him losing the dressing room. This is going to get bad, but this is what happens with bad coaching and bad player management.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
This is all Wengers fault. He made us so bloody average in his last few seasons that we cannot even dream of becoming Europa champions.

His domestic performances aside, Wenger failed mightily in Europe.

The squad automatically perked up under Emery but he is no motivator or big name, plus he has made strange decisions.

He might need a lot of time to make his own mark.
We've lost a lot of players since 2016 when we were decent bit still lacking. We simply haven't used the funds to strengthen properly. It's been like we end DIY. The squad perked up but we still played poorly at tines and it was 22 unbeaten in all comps as opposed to a winning run like Ole at Utd. Our new manager bounce was flatter than Chelsea and Utd's. Crucially, the club doesn't have any more time and therefore Emery isn't going to get a lot of time. There's too much not going for him.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

I really like that people are turning on Emery. I think he's an awful coach, and our matches are a nightmare to watch regardless of the result.

I hope we get rid of him soon. Not expecting that to happen, but I can hope.

Firstly, I still have no idea how Emery wants his team to play besides pressing and working hard. We have no creativity. He is like a Spanish Moyes. Just a nightmare.

However, the Özil and Ramsey situations really show Emery's tragic weakness. And sure, the board and other people are influencing his decisions with these two, but it isn't like Emery has no influence.

Emery doesn't seem capable of managing elite players. He might be able to coach good players and get them to raise their level, but once that happens the players move to a better team with a better coach.

At PSG, Emery couldn't manage Neymar, and he didn't even win the French league in his first season. In his second, season he had Neymar and Mbappe and kind of let them do whatever they wanted because they were better than he could coach. PSG won the league, got humiliated by Barca in the Champs League, and PSG brought in Tuchel: who is a better coach.

Right now Emery's system does not have space for our elite players, and he's willing to battle with the board to push out Özil and Ramsey. A better coach would have a system that works for these two, and would fight with the board to keep them.

At PSG, Tuchel is fighting with the PSG brass to let him play Rabiot. He hasn't won that battle, but that's the type of battle that a top coach picks.

Emery is fighting so that we play worse. Also, Emery's approach is basically telling top players that you shouldn't come to Arsenal. Either the coach won't find a way for you to play in his system, or the board will get upset that you earn a lot of money and try to push you out.

The scope of how bad Emery is at managing elite players honestly is worse than I could have imagined.

Emery can't coach at this level, and right now there is no reason why a top player should want to come here.

Leaving out Özil will result in him losing the dressing room. This is going to get bad, but this is what happens with bad coaching and bad player management.
Take it your'e not a fan?

Just a few months into his reign, I can't say that I get the goose bumps I used to get in the past before an Arsenal fixture. Quite frankly, I am mostly afraid of the result!

I haven't been an Arsenal fan for very long like most of you. I remember first being a fan of Real Madrid when the La Liga was being televised on national TV in my country. Those days we didn't have cable TV. Very few folks in my country knew about the Arsenals and Manchesters!

I remember the first time I watched us play. Think it was against United in 2004 while i was a fresh man in high school, and I fell in love with how sweetly we played, the beautiful short precise passes, great runs and all. The match ended in a win for Arsenal I think and I recall being super ecstatic about the result! I think a fight broke up between students who supported United and us (good times).
Anyways my point is, that was the Arsenal that I signed up to watch, a team that plays beautiful football. ATM we've lost so much of our identity and I am not sure Emery's the kind of manager that will take us back into that kind of football from what I've seen, especially with the manner in which Özil and Rambo have been handled whom you could say are the last remaining beacons into playing anything that resembles attractive football! I guess I've got to give him time to prove me otherwise but so far am not impressed by anything other than our points tally as at now compared to last season and the fact that we haven't self distracted like United and Chelsea have done in the past during their managerial transition periods.

Last edited:

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Just a few months into his reign, I can't say that I get the goose bumps I used to get in the past before an Arsenal fixture. Quite frankly, I am mostly afraid of the result!

I haven't been an Arsenal fan for very long like most of you. I remember first being a fan of Real Madrid when the La Liga was being televised on national TV in my country. Those days we didn't have cable TV. Very few folks in my country knew about the Arsenals and Manchesters!

I remember the first time I watched us play. Think it was against United in 2004 while i was a fresh man in high school, and I fell in love with how sweetly we played, the beautiful short precise passes, great runs and all. The match ended in a win for Arsenal I think and I recall being super ecstatic about the result! I think a fight broke up between students who supported United and us (good times).
Anyways my point is, that was the Arsenal that I signed up to watch, a team that plays beautiful football. ATM we've lost so much of our identity and I am not sure Emery's the kind of manager that will take us back into that kind of football from what I've seen, especially with the manner in which Özil and Rambo have been handled whom you could say are the last remaining beacons into playing anything that resembles attractive football! I guess I've got to give him time to prove me otherwise but so far am not impressed by anything other than our points tally as at now compared to last season and the fact that we haven't self distracted like United and Chelsea have done in the past during their managerial transition periods.

Our identity under Wenger wasn’t the same as what it was under George Graham. Point being, clubs very rarely have a footballing “identity”, it’s the manager that defines it. If you think that because we played attractive football under Wenger for most of his 22 year reign we should carry that forward into the future then you’re being unrealistic. Managers will come and go and they’ll bring their own philosophy.

Reactions: Jae
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom