• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m-due

:lol: This game was amazing - was watching on my phone while Arsenal was on my laptop. Dortmund were winning 3-0 with Sancho having a worldie. Nelson comes on after 70 minutes and the game opened up a lot. It was kind of a coincidence - Nelson didn't have a direct hand in any of the goals.

He was, however, threatening when he came on and created a lot of space with his movement. Could have been different if he started the game but he wasn't the all-encompassing catalyst in the comeback :lol:.

I just watched an extended highlights of that game. Sancho bossed it. He was involved in every meaningful attack. I’m sure Nelson would make the same impact in that league if given more opportunities after early period of being eased up into games like Sancho did. Maybe we should start loaning Dortmund our gems.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
We could use nelson, wish we could recall Hoffenheim are wasting his time.
Was disappointed to see that he didn't appear at all today v Hannover - he was fit and on the bench. Good thing I forgot they were playing (busy day).

I think Nagelsmann has pussied out of playing him because he's in a push for European places and doesn't trust him ahead of Belfodil - and in fairness, Belfodil (as much as I don't rate him) has repaid that faith by scoring of late and he scored again today so it's difficult to argue against his decision. However, it puts Nelson in a difficult situation because Nagelsmann is obviously not looking to start him unless there's not much to play for, which is disappointing as I'd like to see Nelson tested in more competitive games. However, this is part of the challenge Nelson will face at Arsenal with Emery as manager favoring the likes of Mhkitaryan over him. He'll have to fight, scratch and claw for every minute regardless of whether he's over at Hoffenheim or he's here at Arsenal - as will all of our very talented graduates.

I however retain the right to be very disappointed by this outcome. Given how well Nelson had started the season and the momentum he had picked up, I'm extremely frustrated at how little he has actually played this season. I ragged on Wenger for not using him much but I actually think Wenger may have given him more minutes over the course of last season.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Was disappointed to see that he didn't appear at all today v Hannover - he was fit and on the bench. Good thing I forgot they were playing (busy day).

I think Nagelsmann has pussied out of playing him because he's in a push for European places and doesn't trust him ahead of Belfodil - and in fairness, Belfodil (as much as I don't rate him) has repaid that faith by scoring of late and he scored again today so it's difficult to argue against his decision. However, it puts Nelson in a difficult situation because Nagelsmann is obviously not looking to start him unless there's not much to play for, which is disappointing as I'd like to see Nelson tested in more competitive games. However, this is part of the challenge Nelson will face at Arsenal with Emery as manager favoring the likes of Mhkitaryan over him. He'll have to fight, scratch and claw for every minute regardless of whether he's over at Hoffenheim or he's here at Arsenal - as will all of our very talented graduates.

I however retain the right to be very disappointed by this outcome. Given how well Nelson had started the season and the momentum he had picked up, I'm extremely frustrated at how little he has actually played this season. I ragged on Wenger for not using him much but I actually think Wenger may have given him more minutes over the course of last season.
He's not looking the gift horse in the mouth...he's basically kicking its teeth in.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
He wouldn't have played much here this season. He's had some top-level experience in the Bundesliga and champions league and that will be invaluable to his development. Ideally, he'd go on loan to a premier league club next season: A premier league club where he'd be in contention to start most games.

DasBootist

He wouldn't have played much here this season. He's had some top-level experience in the Bundesliga and champions league and that will be invaluable to his development. Ideally, he'd go on loan to a premier league club next season: A premier league club where he'd be in contention to start most games.
Why would you loan him out again?

The first-team players blocking his path are poverty options compared to Nelson.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member

The first-team players blocking his path are poverty options compared to Nelson.
I agree, strange thing to say as typically a player loaned out more than once doesn't bode well for their career with the parent club, hes definitely a more exciting prospect that mkhitaryan and Iwobi, and with welbecks pending departure he will definitely get his chances, and despite his lack of appearances his loan turn out was pretty good.

truth_hurts

I'd like to see him start 20 plus games in the premier league. We can't offer him that if we are serious about competing. Let's just imagine that he goes to a Newcastle, Wolves, Watford or Palace and tears it up - you're looking at one of the brightest talents in the league, his value rockets to 60-70m and he belongs to us. Wouldn't want to see him have a year like Nketiah here.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'd like to see him start 20 plus games in the premier league. We can't offer him that if we are serious about competing. Let's just imagine that he goes to a Newcastle, Wolves, Watford or Palace and tears it up - you're looking at one of the brightest talents in the league, his value rockets to 60-70m and he belongs to us. Wouldn't want to see him have a year like Nketiah here.
I'd argue if we're serious about competing, we give him minutes rather than Mhkitaryan.

truth_hurts

I'd argue if we're serious about competing, we give him minutes rather than Mhkitaryan.

This would be a 19 year old Nelson, not an 19 year old Lionel Messi. There's no way (purely my opinion) that we get closer to Liverpool and City by dropping Mkhitaryn for Nelson. If we replace Mkhi with a better fit and have Nelson as back up then fair enough.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This would be a 19 year old Nelson, not an 19 year old Lionel Messi. There's no way (purely my opinion) that we get closer to Liverpool and City by dropping Mkhitaryn for Nelson. If we replace Mkhi with a better fit and have Nelson as back up then fair enough.
In my opinion, we do. It would be a good idea to replace Mhki with an outside winger but failing that, Nelson is the better option.

Let's play Aubamawang

Well he is a footballer. The majority of them are far more interested in the game than school work. Some should take it more seriously rather than just assuming they made it as a pro. Look how many "talents" we have had that drifted into obscurity in the last 10 years. That being said, he could also be dyslexic.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
On the bench while Belfodil, Joelinton and Kramaric start upfront v Leipzig. No ESR, he's still working his way back to fitness so not ready for this game.

Understand Nelson not starting this game tbf with Belfodil in good form of late and Joelinton and Kramaric also the 2 strongest attackers. However, it still does concern me that he's still an afterthought for their starting lineup after what was a very encouraging start.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

I don’t think the league matters. It just needs to be the right club and a bold coach. He needs regular game time.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Does there come a point when people start to ask if he’s actually not progressing as we hoped he would rather than Nagelsmann ignoring him?

Last edited:

HBL

Established Member
On the bench while Belfodil, Joelinton and Kramaric start upfront v Leipzig. No ESR, he's still working his way back to fitness so not ready for this game.

Understand Nelson not starting this game tbf with Belfodil in good form of late and Joelinton and Kramaric also the 2 strongest attackers. However, it still does concern me that he's still an afterthought for their starting lineup after what was a very encouraging start.
You watching? No idea why they're basically playing Joelinton as an attacking mid! He is a really good player though imo and would do well up front for a champions league club.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Ok, his loan has been a borderline failure. Come on, he has barely had a look in for months.

I'm unimpressed by the whole situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom