• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

07/08 Arsenal vs 22/23

Which one is better?

• Total voters

balthazar

My compined 2007-8, and 2022-23 team would be
Adebayor
Van Persie Saka
Fabregas Ødegaard
Rice
Tomiyasu Gabriel Saliba Sagna
Raya

teams pick itself, except for LB

GoonerBoy19

We would have won something if we had proper back 5 in 07/08. The mid and forward lines were much better than what we have now. The GK and centreback areas were the worst looked areas during the initial emirates timeframe.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
The 2008 team was competing with the greatest united team of all time and arguably the best Chelsea team of all time.
Was that United better than the treble winners in 99 or the Busby Babes? That Chelsea team was the only one to go trophyless from 2004-2010, they even lost a cup final to Tottenham.

Tnegs

Chelsea 04-06 was their best it was a winning machine that none of the other clubs could keep up with. They showed how you do 90+ point seasons back then when a world class manager with virtually unlimited resources came in and did 95 in his first season followed by 91 the season after. What stopped Chelsea was Chelsea themselves with RA interfering in transfers and Mourinho doing his routine 3/4th season meltdown. Put Pep and City in that league and the 04-06 domination would have just continued on.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

The biggest thing is that we weren't able to build on the 07-08 team because of the situation we were in. Imagine if we had today's spending power back then and didn't have to sell the likes of Hleb and could have then bolstered the team.

Also people forget in 07-08 season we had to deal with injuries at key moments, Song was playing CB for a crucial game at OT. Rosicky missed half the season, Eduardo missed the last 2 and a half months, Van Persie and Diaby obviously had their issues too and squad depth was much smaller back then you only had 5 subs on the bench. If we could've kept the bulk of our team fit and we don't get shocking officiating in the CL you're looking at a 90 point PL season and who knows what we could've done in Europe. You cannot just look at that season and go "oh we only finished on this amount" when there's so many external factors that werent in our favour that year

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Was that United better than the treble winners in 99 or the Busby Babes? That Chelsea team was the only one to go trophyless from 2004-2010, they even lost a cup final to Tottenham.
The 08 United was better than the treble team imo. We gifted them the league in 99. They weren't that good. They got lucky and bayern capitulated after battering them for almost 90 minutes in the CL final

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
This side is better than 07/08.

If Arsène had the equivalent financial resources then that Arteta has now it would be a different story

It's not rocket science.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

When @A_G mentions a team from my youth

Happy Lets Go GIF by NHL

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Personally I've never got the love for the Wengerball era tbh.

Really it was Arsène performing miracles with one hand tied behind his back. There were a sprinkling of top players and Arsène somehow getting silly levels out of pretty average players.

Real Wengerball and what I think is a better representative of Arsène is the era from the late 90's to 2005ish. The football was better then too if we're being realistic.

You go from watching Adams, Campbell, Vieira, Coke, Pires, prime Gilberto, Henry, DB10 etc to some of the rubbish after it, you can't overly rate it.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Personally I've never got the love for the Wengerball era tbh.

Really it was Arsène performing miracles with one hand tied behind his back. There were a sprinkling of top players and Arsène somehow getting silly levels out of pretty average players.

Real Wengerball and what I think is a better representative of Arsène is the era from the late 90's to 2005ish. The football was better then too if we're being realistic.

You go from watching Adams, Campbell, Vieira, Coke, Pires, prime Gilberto, Henry, DB10 etc to some of the rubbish after it, you can't overly rate it.
Why can’t you rate it? It’s was built on a badget and met its targets of CL qualification. It’s was happening in the shadows of paying off the stadium debt.

It’s the most pivotal era in the history of the club and it’s the reason for our rejuvenation currently.

Those years are also when Wenger done his best work, a lesser manager would’ve taken us out of the CL places.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Why can’t you rate it? It’s was built on a badget and met its targets of CL qualification. It’s was happening in the shadows of paying off the stadium debt.

It’s the most pivotal era in the history of the club and it’s the reason for our rejuvenation currently.

Those years are also when Wenger done his best work, a lesser manager would’ve taken us out of the CL places.

It's normal that when you're used to having some of the best players in the world, challenging for and winning major honours that you don't get that excited by fairly mediocre Arsenal sides, even if they're overachieving.

It shows how great Arsène was of course to keep top 4 though.

The earlier era is way clear for me. Don't think many who were fans during both would disagree.

I'm assuming the Wengerball fans started supporting in that era.

GDeep™

League is very weak
It's normal that when you're used to having some of the best players in the world, challenging for and winning major honours that you don't get that excited by fairly mediocre Arsenal sides, even if they're overachieving.

It shows how great Arsène was of course to keep top 4 though.

The earlier era is way clear for me. Don't think many who were fans during both would disagree.

I'm assuming the Wengerball fans started supporting in that era.
I watched both. The early years were obviously the peak. But the Webgerball years held their own considering the environment.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Plus that Chelsea 08 team was leagues better than the 16/17 and 14/15 team that walked the league.

They were or 3 games away from winning the CL and PL double.

Arsenal Quotes

In a football match anything can happen, the players, 90 minutes, fantastic moves, an element of luck, talent, courage, and touch of magic and, for those who are watching these men play, the search for excitement, for a memory, for a lesson in life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 31

Arsenal are interested in Benfica CB Antonio Silva, but will have to trigger his £85m release clause to sign the 20 year old [Correio de Manha]

Youngster Charles Sagoe Jr is set for a loan spell at League One side Charlton Athletic [Online Gooner]

Arsenal have moved on to targeting Benfica midfielder Joao Neves after Martin Zubamendi indicated a preference to remain in La Liga [Teamtalk]

Liverpool, Arsenal and Bayern Munich have all made an approach to PSV forward Johan Bakayoko [Hbvl]

Latest posts

Top Bottom