• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

George Graham: Legend?

Is he?

• Yes

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

say yes

forum master baiter
Not for me, but I have a high bar for 'legend'.

Great manager and a huge figure in our history, but I can't put him in the same tier as Chapman/Wenger.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Not for me, but I have a high bar for 'legend'.

Great manager and a huge figure in our history, but I can't put him in the same tier as Chapman/Wenger.
No, but not a single other Arsenal manager could compare to those two. As I've said before, every other Arsenal manager will have to queue up behind Chapman and Wenger. There is no shame in that. That being said though, George Graham is an Arsenal legend. He played for this club, and he managed for this club. He won trophies in both roles. He is unique in that regard.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
It's a disservice to not have a George Graham thread under Arsenal History. He's a bit of a forgotten man, especially for my generation who were brought up on Wenger. I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are regarding GG. Is he an Arsenal legend or not?

Here's a quick highlight of some key accomplishments/highlights:
  • 1971 double as a player, swears he had the goal and not Eddie Kelly against Liverpool in the FA cup.
  • 1987 league cup winner - first trophy since 79 FA cup.
  • Dismantled Liverpool monopoly - won first league title since 71' in 1989 at Anfield.
  • Almost had the first invincible Arsenal squad.
  • Signed Ian Wright
  • 92/93 - first side to win both league cup & FA cup.
  • Brought in key figures of our backline that Wenger benefitted from (Adams, Winterburn, Dixon, Bould etc.) Also signed Seaman.
  • Turned down Liverpool when Dalglish resigned.
  • 1-0 to the Arsenal because of GG.

Some cons:
  • Managed Sp*rs.
  • Forced out Rocastle.
  • Club culture started to dwindle.
  • Humiliating sacking.
  • Entertainment value?

Don't think bungs should be listed as a con as everyone was doing it. I mean Big Sam was doing it a few years ago ffs. We can debate on this.

Anyway, thoughts? I'm going with yes.
Huge yes. The manager at Arsenal when I was a kid & I will forever remember the 89 title winning match, jumping up & down like crazy when Thomas scored..

Won lots of trophies & got to a few other finals we should have won....but absolutely a legend.

If it wasn't for the bungs he would have a much bigger legacy at the club. I feel bad for him.

Sydney-Gooner

Of course he is. Arguably our greatest manager based on trophy haul. He won league titles for the club as both a player and as a manager, multiple cup wins and the European Cup Winner's Cup.

If it wasn't for Liverpool ****ing it up for the rest of England because of their murdering fans in Heysel we had a great chance of winning the European Cup in ’90 under Graham when the competition was actually a "Champions League".

Dial Norge

Ian Selley talks a little bit about Graham in my interview.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Ian Selley talks a little bit about Graham in my interview.
£200 each week. I think Haaland has £80 pr minute if the rumours of £800k weekly wage are true.

Arsenal Quotes

Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal?
Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom