• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
(Mirror)Mertesacker quotes about him. Very very interesting:

And Mertesacker says there are steps that Özil can take to recifty the problem.

He said: “I hope Mesut can get fit. Unai requires a certain fitness level. Unai is fair to everyone. You need to deliver a certain fitness level – then you are available to play. Unai tries to get through to him. He talks to him. He says: ‘You need to train to a certain level every day – I need you to be fit – otherwise you are not going to play.’

“That’s what I’ve seen. He puts him in the squad but then leaves him on the bench. If he trains to the level that’s required, he can play.

“Personally, I’m in favour of that. When Mesut is fit, he is one of our best players. He needs to be in there. We need to build the team around him and make him stronger.”

However, Mertesacker admits that he is at a loss as to how to motivate the 30-year-old.

He added: “It’s his personality, he doesn’t take it personally.

“I don’t know what the trigger is. I had my go. I’ve tried very hard to be close, to stay away from him...sometimes I’ve given him a shout, sometimes not. He was okay with everything.

“It’s about Mesut himself.

“He can deliver for us. I gave him the feeling I trusted him on the pitch. I knew in pressure situations, I could give him the ball.

“He has talent. Now it’s up to others to unlock it.”

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

(Mirror)Mertesacker quotes about him. Very very interesting:

And Mertesacker says there are steps that Özil can take to recifty the problem.

He said: “I hope Mesut can get fit. Unai requires a certain fitness level. Unai is fair to everyone. You need to deliver a certain fitness level – then you are available to play. Unai tries to get through to him. He talks to him. He says: ‘You need to train to a certain level every day – I need you to be fit – otherwise you are not going to play.’

“That’s what I’ve seen. He puts him in the squad but then leaves him on the bench. If he trains to the level that’s required, he can play.

“Personally, I’m in favour of that. When Mesut is fit, he is one of our best players. He needs to be in there. We need to build the team around him and make him stronger.”

However, Mertesacker admits that he is at a loss as to how to motivate the 30-year-old.

He added: “It’s his personality, he doesn’t take it personally.

“I don’t know what the trigger is. I had my go. I’ve tried very hard to be close, to stay away from him...sometimes I’ve given him a shout, sometimes not. He was okay with everything.

“It’s about Mesut himself.

“He can deliver for us. I gave him the feeling I trusted him on the pitch. I knew in pressure situations, I could give him the ball.

“He has talent. Now it’s up to others to unlock it.”

So why is he playing today ?

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Let‘s hope Mertesacker doesn‘t have the same mentality towards talented attackers as Emery does or our attacking talents are doomed.

Arsefan7

If others are afforded a u23 game why not Mesut, either he thinks he’s too big for it or mismanagement as always. He had 2 weeks off for flips sake.

say yes

forum master baiter
Not at all surprised to see Özil’s performance is being massively overrated on here.

He had a decent (if rusty) first half, with a fantastic pass for our second goal, but was anonymous throughout the second as the team struggled to get a single attack going. Was far too slow to second balls as well. We actually looked more likely to score when Nelson replaced him, and Nelson dropped a clanger of a performance.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticising Mesut. It was a promising performance that makes me want to see more of him. But let’s not pretend it was anything complete or special. That pass was a great reminder of what he is capable of, but over 90 minutes he can do far, far, better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom