• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

fute

West Ham 4-0 up at HT Ødegaard plays 90 minutes.

Burnley 3-0 up at 47 minutes Ødegaard plays 90 minutes, Rice plays 79 minutes.

Newcastle 3-0 up after 65 minutes Rice plays 90 minutes.

Sheffield Utd 5-0 up at HT Ødegaard plays 90 minutes, Rice plays 74 minutes.

This is where he needs to be better. Even if he supposedly doesn't trust these players to win games there's no harm bringing them on in those situations to rest the ones he runs into the ground.
Those games were in February and early March. It is almost May now.

Ødegaard is not tired. And if he is, he is still going 100%. Like a Captain should. You saw him score that goal that put sealed the victory yesterday at the end of the game. But maybe Arteta should have taken him out up 1-0 though, right?

Kai ain't tired.

Rice is.

What Arteta needs to be better in is youth academy development and player acquisition/evaluation.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If we’re being fair he does rotate more if he trusts a player.

Kiwior helped keep a string of clean sheets and is now giving Zinchenko a run.

We all want to see Nelson and Smith Rowe more but they drop us a level defensively. Both came on against Newcastle and we basically immediately conceded from their errors.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
You aren't being a pain, I'm just saying that for a player determining whether to stay or leave, there is a big difference between finishing 4-5 points from the title and finishing 25 points from the title. THe former allows you to retain hope and motivation, the latter grinds down your belief
This is a fair point. All I would say is that forever the bridesmaid will take its toll too.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

This is where he needs to be better. Even if he supposedly doesn't trust these players to win games there's no harm bringing them on in those situations to rest the ones he runs into the ground.
You can add being 4-0 up after 27 minutes and 5-0 before half time against Lens and Ødegaard still played 90 minutes.

Or PSV Away after we already qualified as group winners and starting Saliba and Gabriel. With Ødegaard, Rice and White also playing some part. I can understand if he doesn't trust the others but if you don't give more time to the bench players when games are won or in dead rubbers there is no point having them in the squad at all. How to utilise your squad while at the same time mitigating risks is a very important skill for elite managers. Unfortunately this is still a real weakness for Arteta.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

Question - if a player is showing little to no signs of lacking energy why would you rest them?

I haven’t seen anything from Ødegaard to suggest he’s struggling. Wasn’t Rice rested just 3 games ago against Luton?

We can sit here from our little seats on the Arsenal forum and say a player needs to be rested, but we aren’t around those players daily to even begin to suggest they need a rest.

I’d rather Ødegaard play on half a leg than have ESR in ahead of him.

fute

Question - if a player is showing little to no signs of lacking energy why would you rest them?

I haven’t seen anything from Ødegaard to suggest he’s struggling. Wasn’t Rice rested just 3 games ago against Luton?

We can sit here from our little seats on the Arsenal forum and say a player needs to be rested, but we aren’t around those players daily to even begin to suggest they need a rest.

Well, Ødegaard does only play with one leg, his left leg 😉

Also, that goal differential looks pretty good, doesn't it? Might come into play given how close the race is. It was clear Arteta was building that up during the blow-outs. That only happens when you keep scoring and you maintain as clean of sheet as possible.

3-4 games out of the 38+ ain't going to make that much of a difference.

Rice is really the main one that has been huffing and puffing lately. To much is given, much is required.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

For me it isn't actually so much about resting players but making sure back up players stay sharp and keep their match fitness up because otherwise when you really need them they will be too rusty to help you out.

I'm not even saying they should play when games are in balance but for example ESR was on the bench for Burnley and Sheffield Utd, games we won well before half time. He got about 5 minutes in total in those 2 games. When Ødegaard got hurt against Aston Villa and we did have to use ESR, unsurprisingly he was well off pace and wasn't much of a help to us.

I think in general Arteta is doing a good job but that doesn't mean we can't point out where he needs to improve.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

For me it isn't actually so much about resting players but making sure back up players stay sharp and keep their match fitness up because otherwise when you really need them they will be too rusty to help you out.

I'm not even saying they should play when games are in balance but for example ESR was on the bench for Burnley and Sheffield Utd, games we won well before half time. He got about 5 minutes in total in those 2 games. When Ødegaard got hurt against Aston Villa and we did have to use ESR, unsurprisingly he was well off pace and wasn't much of a help to us.

I think in general Arteta is doing a good job but that doesn't mean we can't point out where he needs to improve.

Yes that's it.

When you rotate throughout the season it means the back ups aren't coming in cold when the first teamers are starting to feel fatigue later into the season. It also means they've hopefully had the time to build form so can be relied upon.

Finally, it should also reduce the compounding effect of fatigue, so if Ødegaard has been getting subbed in games where we have a solid lead at the half, then he's playing less throughout the season so should hopefully be fresher at the tail end of the season.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

Why are you here then? That's the point of having a forum.

Look at your comment, look at the one below yours. @Hleb's Sirush gave a very good answer, well thought out and written.

You’ve taken ONE THING that was said and tried to bash me with it. Really, really bizarre. But it is what it is have a good day dude.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Look at your comment, look at the one below yours. @Hleb's Sirush gave a very good answer, well thought out and written.

You’ve taken ONE THING that was said and tried to bash me with it. Really, really bizarre. But it is what it is have a good day dude.

I haven't bashed you. It was merely an observation.

Bashing you would be asking you if you're going to send me threats via DM like you to do to other members.

Synical

Miss Superstitious

United fans are criticising 7 Hag for taking off Garnacho and Mainoo for two experienced players when they were 3-0 up against a championship team, because they went on to bottle it. People will criticise whatever you do, if it goes badly, because hindsight is 20-20

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

That's not to say Arteta doesn't deserve praise for the stuff he does well but ofc nobody is purrfecc.

He will only deserve praise after winning a Title/European Cup after spending the GDP of a Micronesian country.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Top Bottom