• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Liverpool vs Arsenal | Saturday, 17:30 BST | Sky Sports

What is your predicted result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

From the comments of some of you guys, I think either you guys didn't catch Pool's first two fixtures or are just way too ignorant on your assesment of their game vs us.
Normally you'd expect the current Liverpool side to be a little bit too much for a lot of teams with their exquisite attack and impenetrable defence. But form matters a lot in this game and from the first two games albeit with them winning, I witnessed a Liverpool side that was not its usual self giving easy chances to Norwich and Southampton; two teams that are amongst the relegation favourites.

As such, one can only have hope that a team with the attacking quality of
Arsenal can at least, from an offensive point of view punish a Liverpool side that that allows an AXG of 1.89 against Southampton in a match preceeding a clash with a top four contender!
I think that just like in boxing, when your oppenent staggers, its time to go for the KO and that is exactly what we ought to have done. Instead we cowed, and like a frightened dog put our tails between our legs! Liverpool rearely concede the amount of chances they allowed vs Soton and Norwich and an astute manager would take that situation to their advantage.

Sometimes the most logical thing to do in a fight is to gather your courage and step up against your bully. Even if it means using all of your fear to punch them really hard, they could sometimes fear being on the recieving end of such a punch again and stay away or even if they win the war they will just slightly win it and will respect the challenge you can pose in the future and therefore find another target to bully. That is how I've been raised and thats what I believe. The advantage to this is that you send a message to anyone else that intended on bullying you that you are no push over.

Preacher

Always Crying
I witnessed a Liverpool side that was not its usual self giving easy chances to Norwich and Southampton; two teams that are amongst the relegation favourites.
Liverpool had Community shield and Supercup in between those games. Against us they had full-week for preparation. Klopp was very happy about it and mentioned it pre and post match.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Not sure if linked but TAA spoke about Liverpools game plan, after the game

JoaoFelix

EC0AfYuXoAErzJc

Shows what the game plan was. We were solid defensively(obvious personal mistakes aside), showed some good press resistance in the middle of the park, and most importantly, a promising counter attacking threat with Auba and Pepe.

Has me intrigued for upcoming away matches if we uphold similar tactics. Continuity is key.

Which away games are you talking about? Wolves? Crystal Palace? Man City? You want us to play like this against wolves or crystal palace? We can't play like this against City, they will destroy us. They play against teams like this all the time, and they always win.

Ashybashy86

Not sure if linked but TAA spoke about Liverpools game plan, after the game
There was only so much our defenders could sustain. With the constant waves of attacks, it was only a matter time before they scored. Our defense is not good enough for that. Even when we won the ball back, it didn’t help that Auba and Pepe were so isolated, which made our transitions for a counterattack more difficult. Particularly with the midfield personnel.

I will say that Liverpool’s errors were a result of the aforementioned players pressing. That was good, but not necessarily owing to how the team was set up.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
There was only so much our defenders could sustain. With the constant waves of attacks, it was only a matter time before they scored. Our defense is not good enough for that. Even when we won the ball back, it didn’t help that Auba and Pepe were so isolated, which made our transitions for a counterattack more difficult. Particularly with the midfield personnel.

I will say that Liverpool’s errors were a result of the aforementioned players pressing. That was good, but not necessarily owing to how the team was set up.

Sorry I don't know how you can attribute Luis's brain farts to them causing us to make mistakes. They didn't score any goals by their sustained pressing. Rather both goals came from Luis's mistakes which are indefensible.

We had more clear cut chances then them in the first half we just weren't clinical and Liverpool were with theirs. Mo Salah slides his in and Pepe fluffs his. It's these tiny margins that make the difference.

Liverpool are the better team we were never going to beat them going toe to toe. They're are simply a better team.

We tried the smash and grab and were mighty close to it had it not been for the miss chances and player mistakes.

pacstud

From the comments of some of you guys, I think either you guys didn't catch Pool's first two fixtures or are just way too ignorant on your assesment of their game vs us.
Normally you'd expect the current Liverpool side to be a little bit too much for a lot of teams with their exquisite attack and impenetrable defence. But form matters a lot in this game and from the first two games albeit with them winning, I witnessed a Liverpool side that was not its usual self giving easy chances to Norwich and Southampton; two teams that are amongst the relegation favourites.

Arsenal can at least, from an offensive point of view punish a Liverpool side that that allows an AXG of 1.89 against Southampton in a match preceeding a clash with a top four contender!
I think that just like in boxing, when your oppenent staggers, its time to go for the KO and that is exactly what we ought to have done. Instead we cowed, and like a frightened dog put our tails between our legs! Liverpool rearely concede the amount of chances they allowed vs Soton and Norwich and an astute manager would take that situation to their advantage.

Sometimes the most logical thing to do in a fight is to gather your courage and step up against your bully. Even if it means using all of your fear to punch them really hard, they could sometimes fear being on the recieving end of such a punch again and stay away or even if they win the war they will just slightly win it and will respect the challenge you can pose in the future and therefore find another target to bully. That is how I've been raised and thats what I believe. The advantage to this is that you send a message to anyone else that intended on bullying you that you are no push over.
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

-Mike Tyson

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Great post but you've missed one key thing that pretty much invalidates all of it.

Liverpool are massive game raisers, we all know this. Even before they were serious title contenders they were topping the top 6 mini leagues but just struggled with consistency against the Norwichs and Southamptons.

Great post but you've missed one key thing that pretty much invalidates all of it.

Liverpool are massive game raisers, we all know this. Even before they were serious title contenders they were topping the top 6 mini leagues but just struggled with consistency against the Norwichs and Southamptons.
I know they do. That doesn't mean we should make their lives easy though.
I actually rewatched the match with an open mind and with no/little emotions and came into the following main conclusions about his tactical plan imo.
1. Plan to pack the midfield with a diamond that would outnumber the opponent and win second balls.
Verdict: Failed. This plan actually surprised me as Liverpool don't oftenly attack through the middle. Their quality is out wide and they have produced more goals from wide than through the middle in a few seasons now. You could see that Robertson and Trent had no one defending them against resulting in lots of crosses between them and a few defence splitting passes that caused us a lot of problems. In fact all of the scoring opportunities they converted directly or indirectly came through the wings. We also failed miserably to win any second balls and as a result we were pressured even more.
2. Setting out two pacy wide forwards to stretch Liverpool's defence and create problems with the counter. Emery set the team to defend deep and had outlets with Luiz, Xhaka and Guendouzi who are both good passers of the ball to release Auba and Pepe on the counter.
Verdict: It worked to some extent but the forwards with all their quality couldn't convert the chances they had. Also letting a quality team like Liverpool on you like that is always a recipe for disastor so the better thing although also risky would be to try and play your game and not theirs if you are to get something out of it. Edit: Oh, and give 110 percent.

Based on these findings i will cut Emery some slack and try to support him and his initiatives in the future on condition that he sets up properly against the spuds ,plays Lacazette and stops tinkering way too much with formations.

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Just thinking about this a lot, but if Atletico were to play Liverpool this season in the CL you'd probably see almost the exact same approach from Simeone as the one we deployed last weekend. Essentially two banks of four trying to be as narrow and as tight as possible. Felix and Morata (Or Costa) would be left up top similar to how Griezmann and Torres were often left up top on their own in the 2016 CL campaign (or most subsequent campaigns) particularly up against the likes of Barca and Bayern.

Major difference is, Atletico are so comfortable with the ball at their feet and are so well practicised in this strategy that they wouldn't be giving the ball away in their own defensive third or even the middle of pitch as cheaply as we did. Particularly the likes of Luis and Juanfran are much better full-backs to have for this tactic than an aging Monreal and AMN played out of position while then you factor in their midfield would contain the likes of Koke, Saul and the likes. Ceballos is just starting his career and getting used to things, Guendouzi and Willock still lack experience so it makes sense that the tactics weren't executed perfectly.

This all being said we still saw that having someone like Pepe is similar to having someone like Griezmann in a sense that they're such a lethal counter-attacking option and they have the ability to carry the ball for large distances and create chances either for themselves or their strike partner.

As I said already in hindsight perhaps playing Torreira instead of Ceballos might have been better, with Willock playing the Ceballos role of being main link between our defence and our two attackers but it is what it is, Torreira probably wasn't 100% ready to start the game.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
After today’s win over Burnley its 13 successive league wins now for Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool, eclipsing Kenny Dalglish’s record from April-October 1990.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom