• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2023/24: Our Race Is Run

Where do we finish in 23/24?

• Total voters

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Again, the schedule might be too much. The players already looked gassed in the 2nd half yesterday and we play in Munich on wednesday lol.

Villa played vs. Lille on Thursday, our Bayern game was Tuesday. Those scheduling excuses aren't good enough imo. Look at a team like City, who are still in the FA Cup but also played a World Cup.

The players just didn't play well enough, Ødegaard aside.

Iwobeast

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Villa played vs. Lille on Thursday, our Bayern game was Tuesday. Those scheduling excuses aren't good enough imo. Look at a team like City, who are still in the FA Cup but also played a World Cup.

The players just didn't play well enough, Ødegaard aside.

City can rotate their whole team without a significant drop off in quality, we don't have the same luxuries they have.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
City needing to play an FA Cup semi against Chelsea needs to be factored in. As **** as Chelsea have been, City haven’t exactly played well against them this season.

Could be a tough game which takes a bit out of them. Might be looking for crumbs of comfort here… but you never know.

All I ask is that we try our utmost and don’t ****ing give up like we did last season. Our end to this season will say a lot about this team and manager

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It wasn't tiredness of the legs yesterday, but tiredness in the mind...we just folded with pressure in that second half, was a little embarrassing.

We seemed frustrated and down over all the missed first half chances, but you can't do that during a title fight you HAVE to keep going.

Immediately at the start of the half everytime Villa came at us, Rice got the ball about 3 times ..but instead of looking for a pass to a teammate, he just kept smashing the ball down field...just to get the pressure away from us, that showed our heads were kinda gone.

You don't do that if you want to win a league, you do that stuff if you are like fighting relegation and happy with a point... think that gave Villa so much confidence, they could then tell we were a little rattled and could get at our throats if they really wanted.

That second half was embarrassing, it was like we didn't have the chance to go back top of the league.

And unless we will something this season, this performance will linger for quite awhile.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

It wasn't tiredness of the legs yesterday, but tiredness in the mind...we just folded with pressure in that second half, was a little embarrassing.

We seemed frustrated and down over all the missed first half chances, but you can't do that during a title fight you HAVE to keep going.

Immediately at the start of the half everytime Villa came at us, Rice got the ball about 3 times ..but instead of looking for a pass to a teammate, he just kept smashing the ball down field...just to get the pressure away from us, that showed our heads were kinda gone.

You don't do that if you want to win a league, you do that stuff if you are like fighting relegation and happy with a point... think that gave Villa so much confidence, they could then tell we were a little rattled and could get at our throats if they really wanted.

That second half was embarrassing, it was like we didn't have the chance to go back top of the league.

And unless we will something this season, this performance will linger for quite awhile.
Hmm I do think we have been looking leggy and mistakes are creeping in. I think we have been recently running on vibes and as soon as we get rocked we look shattered (physically and mentally).

It's Carlos Cuesta's time to shine, time for some pashun and mental well being etc

Speaking of sideshow coaches, what's happened to our set piece goals Jover?

Riou

Hmm I do think we have been looking leggy and mistakes are creeping in. I think we have been recently running on vibes and as soon as we get rocked we look shattered (physically and mentally).

It's Carlos Cuesta's time to shine, time for some pashun and mental well being etc

I am.not a player, but this is how I feel as a fan...so it must be even worse as a player.

When a group of players haven't won something together yet, the nerves must get to you going for that first trophy...the first piece of silverware you win is the most important, as before you get it you must have doubts that you can do it.

All the mistakes in that game (Bayern draw too) come from the pressure of that for me, tbh.

Looks at Sp**s these past 16 years, they had some quality teams in that time but they never could deal with that and couldn't end the drought.

Think we have something similar, that last mental block is proving too hard to get over...and the longer you go without getting over it, it only gets harder.

PS...that Carlos inspires zero confidence to me, so he ain't helping us :lol:

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member

For me it was poor tactics. Havertz in midfield is okay against the low block, it's not okay against a proper footballing side.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Saw a stat last week which I just swept under the carpet as I thought we’d just see it out until the end of the season but when looking at us compared to City and Liverpool, we have the least open play goals out of the three. Our failure to convert our chances over the course of a season and fluidity is something we need to address in the summer as set pieces are great but it’s definitely not sustainable over 38 games.

City have 54 open play goals, Liverpool with 44 and we’re on 38 the last time I checked. I know Villa were missing players vs City but I still feel City at The Etihad would have dismantled Emery’s side yesterday had they played them.

Iwobeast

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
True. But that's not true for Villa. They played on Saturday vs. Brentford, then had Lille on Thursday with the same 11 as yesterday. And somehow we were tired because of the schedule.

Difference with Villa is that some of our key players also played full 90 in the international break. Especially Rice and Ode

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Saw a stat last week which I just swept under the carpet as I thought we’d just see it out until the end of the season but when looking at us compared to City and Liverpool, we have the least open play goals out of the three. Our failure to convert our chances over the course of a season and fluidity is something we need to address in the summer as set pieces are great but it’s definitely not sustainable over 38 games.

City have 54 open play goals, Liverpool with 44 and we’re on 38 the last time I checked. I know Villa were missing players vs City but I still feel City at The Etihad would have dismantled Emery’s side yesterday had they played them.

There’s no in behind threat from this team like City or Liverpool have.

It’s reminiscent of our 2013/14 team when we had injuries to Theo and Ramsey so we were turning up to Anfield and Stamford Bridge with a plodding attack, had to overcommit men to create chances and got blown away on the counter.

Same thing yesterday. There’s no penetration or threat to get round the back if Martinelli isn’t at it. Hope we don’t buy that Swedish lump from Portugal because he’s definitely not the solution…

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

There’s no in behind threat from this team like City or Liverpool have.

It’s reminiscent of our 2013/14 team when we had injuries to Theo and Ramsey so we were turning up to Anfield and Stamford Bridge with a plodding attack, had to overcommit men to create chances and got blown away in the counter.

Same thing yesterday. There’s no penetration or threat to get round the back if Martinelli isn’t at it. Hope we don’t buy that Swedish lump from Portugal because he’s definitely not the solution…

100%. The lack of pace and players to comfortably play off the shoulder of the last defender is a huge concern or even someone to dribble past a few and create something out of nothing. Jesus showed promise those first few months when we signed him but we haven’t seen much of that since.

lol it would be so like Arsenal to get the wrong Swedish player when the Isak fee probably won’t be that far off what Sporting want for the Swedish Chris Wood. Reminiscent of those days when all those French talents were coming out and we ended up with Yaya Sanogo 😭

amigo

The bar is the bar, tbh...I don't care about points, point totals can as easily say the rest of the league is weak (so you should be winning more games) as it can that the top teams are just so good.

What makes us bottlers is we haven't won anything for probably 4 years now, that's not good enough with the money spent.

Improving in the league isn't enough, you need some silverware with it...we are Arsenal and not Sp**s, minimum should be title challenge and some cups win here and there.
If you keep improving eventually you will win something. The time to sack a manager is when you are stagnating or deteriorating. We can see we are getting better, fighting a juggernaut with a genius manager, getting closer and closer to them every year. Why should we chuck this process and go start all over again with an unknown one?

Last edited:

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
You see all the hard work you make it could be gone in space of week that what competing against man city really does 31 points from possible 36 and that include draw against them yet we behind What I want our team do is not to repeat last season behavior we have full squad now just try stay in it. It's impossible we gonna win all remaining games the utd or Sp**s games it's obvious we dropping points there but we have to win against Wolves and Chelsea Bournemouth.

Riou

If you keep improving eventually you will win something. The time to sack a manager is when you are stagnating or deteriorating. We can see we are getting better, fighting a juggernaut with a genius manager, getting closer and closer to them every year. Why should we chuck this process and go start all over again with an unknown one?

I wouldn't sack Mikel, he would be pretty much the last person I would change at the club right now.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
If that happens again then we need to be asking some hard questions.
What would that be? We all know this squad doesn't have the firepower to win the league although we were entertained for long enough thinking we might do it

I was saying for a while, our best chance to win something was always the CL, just a shame that plumber Kiwior was there to give Bayern a chance by gifting them 2 goals when we were ahead.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

What would that be? We all know this squad doesn't have the firepower to win the league although we were entertained for long enough thinking we might do it

I was saying for a while, our best chance to win something was always the CL, just a shame that plumber Kiwior was there to give Bayern a chance by gifting them 2 goals when we were ahead.

Referring to if we 'collapse' again. Squad needs to show it can immediately bounce back from this.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom