• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The most overrated players.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
His stats and his impact on the game. A 19 year old Mbappe had a greater influence on a world cup match than a maybe barely past his prime Messi across from him. CR7 definitely was a show pony. We're talking about what they were as players at 19. Mbappe is a legitimate Player of the Year candidate and was the most dangerous player in the tournament for the World Cup winner at 19 years old. There is no amount of gymnastics one can do to claim Messi was better at that age. It can't be done. We all know what Messi became and it's presumptuous to assume Mbappe will do the same but he's better now than Messi was then, full stop. And Dembele has had a couple of good games to start a season. He was injured and did absolutely nothing last year. He's shown nowhere near as much as Mbappe is and rightly barely made it off the bench for France because Mbappe is at least a level above him.
hard to argue with that.

Maybe the popular opinion is created because his main weapon right now is to knock the ball around the guy and run. Doesn't need to do anything else really.

We saw CR7 do the same single trick repeatedly in the pl, but the level of competition is way higher.

Messi or Neymar do have a demonstrably higher ability on the ball and this is one of the reasons why these guys have been called for greatness even when they were young

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

R.I.P @Trilly, man got outted in this thread. Happens to the best of us though.
Messi at 19 was definitely a better player, forget the numbers. I admitted that Ronaldo was a bit more of a slow burner but it simply takes a good memory to remember what Messi was doing at that age, the team he was playing for and the quality of opponents he was playing against. I remember the clasico hatrick and that goal against Getafe. a

As for you @Batman you’re probably the most biased source when it comes to Messi and I could have guessed you would bring up your darling international football before I even read your reply.

There’s a lot more videos like this so you can talk about your stats and international football all you want but I’m yet to see Mbappe do what Messi did at 19. A lot of you specifically those who don’t rate Messi love to blur the lines between a decorated footballer and a a good one.

@OnlyOne forums in a sorry state when people like you are the big fish now, makes me sick m8. :p

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
His stats and his impact on the game. A 19 year old Mbappe had a greater influence on a world cup match than a maybe barely past his prime Messi across from him. CR7 definitely was a show pony. We're talking about what they were as players at 19. Mbappe is a legitimate Player of the Year candidate and was the most dangerous player in the tournament for the World Cup winner at 19 years old. There is no amount of gymnastics one can do to claim Messi was better at that age. It can't be done. We all know what Messi became and it's presumptuous to assume Mbappe will do the same but he's better now than Messi was then, full stop. And Dembele has had a couple of good games to start a season. He was injured and did absolutely nothing last year. He's shown nowhere near as much as Mbappe is and rightly barely made it off the bench for France because Mbappe is at least a level above him.

Not necessarily, we have just seen more of him.
He has played alot more games and scored more goals than Messi but then so had Wayne Rooney at that age.
It's incredibly simplistic to say that makes him better.

The main reason he has alot more games is because he started at a much smaller club where it was far easier to break into the team, Monaco couldn't afford to bed him in gradually.
Barcelona had Ronaldinho, Etoo etc and could afford to wait longer for Messi, highly unlikely Mbappe would have been in that team much sooner.

There is also the physical aspect, the likes of Rooney and Mbappe had the physique of a man by 18, at the same age Messi had the body of a ten year old girl.
There is more than just ability which determines when to put in a young player.

The number of goals by the same age comparison is practically irrelevant, firstly as I explained Messi wasn't playing regularly by then and secondly Mbappe was always either a striker or a wide forward where as when Messi came through as more of a midfielder, supplying the likes of Etoo and Ronaldinho.
He was a kid in a team of superstars you don't just come in and start taking charge, it's very different to playing in a young team who develop together with no pressure, you don't have that freedom.

If Messi had come through at Monaco and Mbappe was trying to break into that Barcelona team the numbers would be very different.
I'm not putting too much on winning the worst World Cup in living memory either.
The other semi-finalists were an England team with Lingard, Henderson and Ashley Young in it, Croatia and someone managed by Roberto Martinez.

Infact I would say Rooney and Mbappe is a better comparison , people forget how good Wayne Rooney was at 17/18 because of how he turned out, he was phenomenal.

Champions League

Euros

Last edited:

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

He has played alot more games and scored more goals than Messi but then so had Wayne Rooney at that age.

The main reason he has alot more games is because he started at a much smaller club where it was far easier to break into the team, Monaco couldn't afford to bed him in gradually.
Barcelona had Ronaldinho, Etoo etc and could afford to wait longer for Messi, highly unlikely Mbappe would have been in that team much sooner.

There is also the physical aspect, the likes of Rooney and Mbappe had the physique of a man by 18, at the same age Messi had the body of a ten year old girl.

The number of goals by the same age comparison is practically irrelevant, firstly as I explained Messi wasn't playing regularly by then and secondly Mbappe was always either a striker or a wide forward where as when Messi came through as more of a midfielder, supplying the likes of Etoo and Ronaldinho.
He was a kid in a team of superstars you don't just come in and start taking charge, it's very different to playing in a young team who develop together with no pressure, you don't have that freedom.

If Messi had come through at Monaco and Mbappe was trying to break into that Barcelona team the numbers would be very different.
I'm not putting too much on winning the worst World Cup in living memory either.
The other semi-finalists were an England team with Lingard, Henderson and Ashley Young in it, Croatia and someone managed by Roberto Martinez.

Infact I would say Rooney and Mbappe is a better comparison , people forget how good Wayne Rooney was at 17/18 because of how he turned out, he was phenomenal.

Champions League

Euros

Solid post, I like the comparison. It's a shame Rooney never lived up to the level we thought he would, he had power, pace and aggression that made him unstoppable from a young age but he lost that quite quickly and worked more on his technical game but he never really suited that type of style. Still had a great career though.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Messi at 19 was definitely a better player, forget the numbers. I admitted that Ronaldo was a bit more of a slow burner but it simply takes a good memory to remember what Messi was doing at that age, the team he was playing for and the quality of opponents he was playing against. I remember the clasico hatrick and that goal against Getafe. a

There’s a lot more videos like this so you can talk about your stats and international football all you want but I’m yet to see Mbappe do what Messi did at 19..

yep spot on..

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
Solid post, I like the comparison. It's a shame Rooney never lived up to the level we thought he would, he had power, pace and aggression that made him unstoppable from a young age but he lost that quite quickly and worked more on his technical game but he never really suited that type of style. Still had a great career though.

Yep it's a strange one, Man United's all time record goalscorer, England's all time record goalscorer and you still feel a bit shortchanged, like he should have been better.
It sort of gets lost how good he was, his technique was very good already but as you say he seemed to sacrifice/lose the power, pace and aggression which made him special, he ran with the ball at lot less and became less selfish.
It seemed to be after the injury in Euro 2004 where he was absolutely devastating, he was still brilliant (obviously) but just not quite the same somehow.

I always think of a story I remember hearing about him when Walter Smith had just taken over as manager.
Smith was in his office, which backs onto Everton's training/academy pitches, catching up on some paperwork.
He was keeping an eye on an academy game going on at the same time, some kid picked up the ball in own half, beat about five players before smashing the ball in the top corner.
Smith stopped what he was doing and went to find the coach of the team "what age group is this ?" he asked
"U18's" the bloke replied,
"you're telling me the kid that scored that goal just now is 18 ?" said Smith
"No" said the coach
"He's 15"

Last edited:

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

As for you @Batman you’re probably the most biased source when it comes to Messi and I could have guessed you would bring up your darling international football before I even read your reply.

There’s a lot more videos like this so you can talk about your stats and international football all you want but I’m yet to see Mbappe do what Messi did at 19. A lot of you specifically those who don’t rate Messi love to blur the lines between a decorated footballer and a a good one.

@OnlyOne forums in a sorry state when people like you are the big fish now, makes me sick m8. :p
The TL: DR version of this is forget the numbers because they make it clear how wrong you are. Last I checked international football isn't some separate sport so to ignore it like it doesn't count because it hurts your argument is quite pathetic but that doesn't really surprise me. For the record though Mbappe has also done more in the CL, the pinnacle of club football than Messi had at that age. So again, it comes down to whether you want to be objective and actually look at the information and who has made more of an impact on the game at age 19 or you want to dig your heels in and ignore facts and then pretend I'm the one with a bias. You've clearly chosen the latter which is fine, I wouldn't really expect anything else.

Last edited:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Champions League

Euros

Yeah Rooney was an absolute joke of a teenager. Easy to say that he should have done more but you look at his career and the guy is a genuine hall of fame player as it is.

He could/should have been up there with Messi and Ronaldo...

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

The TL: DR version of this is forget the numbers because they make it clear how wrong you are. Last I checked international football isn't some separate sport so to ignore it like it doesn't count because it hurts your argument is quite pathetic but that doesn't really surprise me. For the record though Mbappe has also done more in the CL, the pinnacle of club football than Messi had at that age. So again, it comes down to whether you want to be objective and actually look at the information and who has made more of an impact on the game at age 19 or you want to dig your heels in and ignore facts and then pretend I'm the one with a bias. You've clearly chosen the latter which is fine, I wouldn't really expect anything else.
Ok from the guy who goes around making it clear how much of a fraud Messi is in pretty much every post to do with him. Compared to me who’s a genuine fan of both.

You can’t be taken seriously on any post to do with the Argentinian so what’s the point? Football isn’t played on a spreadsheet either btw.

Love how you’re boiling down impact to goals scored, only when it can be used against Messi of course.

Last edited:

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Yep it's a strange one, Man United's all time record goalscorer, England's all time record goalscorer and you still feel a bit shortchanged, like he should have been better.
It sort of gets lost how good he was, his technique was very good already but as you say he seemed to sacrifice/lose the power, pace and aggression which made him special, he ran with the ball at lot less and became less selfish.
It seemed to be after the injury in Euro 2004 where he was absolutely devastating, he was still brilliant (obviously) but just not quite the same somehow.

I always think of a story I remember hearing about him when Walter Smith had just taken over as manager.
Smith was in his office, which backs onto Everton's training/academy pitches, catching up on some paperwork.
He was keeping an eye on an academy game going on at the same time, some kid picked up the ball in own half, beat about five players before smashing the ball in the top corner.
Smith stopped what he was doing and went to find the coach of the team "what age group is this ?" he asked
"U18's" the bloke replied,
"you're telling me the kid that scored that goal just now is 18 ?" said Smith
"No" said the coach
"He's 15"
I remember watching that Euro 2004 tournament thinking Rooney's going to be the best in the world. He was so good then. Also thought England were going to win that tournament (really should have). How wrong can one man be. :eek:ops:

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
jae5x.jpg

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Wenger has almost signed him a few years ago.

We would have lost him on a free btw or for £20M max since we are so bad at dealing with contracts.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Delle Ali. I've never ever seen him play one good game so far though I've only seen him big games and for England at tournaments.

Mbappe is stunning on the ball. Reminds me of RVP but with the added electric speed. That's near impossible to stop.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Delle Ali. I've never ever seen him play one good game so far though I've only seen him big games and for England at tournaments.

Mbappe is stunning on the ball. Reminds me of RVP but with the added electric speed. That's near impossible to stop.
Din think he is similiar to RVP att all tbh

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

His light and easy first touch, ball control and skill on it. Doesn't seem like he is putting much effort into it.

Also his striking is quite clean and precise like RvP's, gets it out of his feet really well.

I mean they're obviously different in a lot of ways but certainly very similar on the ball.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom