• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Young Stars of Football: The Next Generation

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Lukaku makes up for his (exaggerated) lacking technique with his unreal physique. It means he can create chances from situation were other strikers simply cannot. His signature "flick and turn" first touch is a good example. You simply can't get past him and he's quick enough to blow by you before you can react.

I don't get why people say he's overrated. Top scorer in the league, very consistent in recent years, but it's not like people are calling him world class? People just generally agree that he's a very good PL striker.

He's also playing for Everton. You rarely see top scorers from clubs outside of the CL contender. Makes it more impressive. Big difference between getting service from Hazard/Özil/Mata/Pogba/Sanchez etc. and Barkley.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I have a lot of difficulty comparing Dolberg to any striker, even after watching every minute of every game he plays. He's special. As to Suarez, he wasn't that good at playing with his back to goal in his time at Ajax. That's why he played on the wing that much. He could receive the ball with his back to goal and create a chance for himself very well, but what Dolberg does so well, bringing other players into play with his holdup play, his one touch and move style, its not what Suarez used to do at Ajax.
I notice he's quite tall?

Is his hold up play good because he's strong or does he have excellent technique?

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Not just saying this because Man City are on match of the day but Leroy Sane is so so good.

Pep doesn't even play him on the right, his shooting is one of his biggest weapons and it's not even being utilised at the moment. Bright future I'm sure.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I notice he's quite tall?

Is his hold up play good because he's strong or does he have excellent technique?
Idk if he's considered tall, he's about as tall as Welbeck I think. His hold up play is good because of his technique and decisionmaking. Maybe I didn't explain what I meant well enough.

The way that Dolberg brings his team into play is built on how he deals with playing with his back to goal, with defenders coming from behind him. What makes him so good is that he has a variety of plays that he often makes, which makes him difficult to defend. He has the first touch to control the ball, turn and/or move sideways. He has the technique to skip controlling the ball and play a one touch pass to a midfielder and move away, creating space. He can turn on the spot, burning a defender that's too close to him.
Anyway, against Lyon he showed that he still has lots of room to grow. He scored in both games, but he had some trouble with the physicality of the Lyon defenders. When the ball was on the floor he was ok, but in the air he had trouble, which is ok, he's still 19, he'll get stronger.

Dolberg is the best striker I've seen at Ajax since Zlatan played there (counting Suarez as a winger at the time). Milik was amazing last season, he has a left foot like Podolski, lethal. Its why Napoli paid 40M euro for him. However I'd pick Dolberg over him every day of the week. Historically, Ajax probably has the highest requirements on strikers in the world, considering the legends that came from there. Not one single supporter, trainer, pundit or expert has criticism on Dolberg. Nobody. Because the kid really can do it all, he's as complete as you can be. His future looks bright, if he can do this on higher levels.

Last edited:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

At the end of last season I was ****ting all over Vincent Janssen. Talking about the level of the Eredivisie, about Vinnie not having anything that makes him special. He's proving me right at Sp**s now. Dolberg showed it against Lyon, twice. Eredivisie football is not the right level to assess most players. But Dolberg isn't like most players. :)

Karlos14478

Looking forward to seeing the likes of Walcott Gibbs jenkinson chambers in the future these young talents look the real deal

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

This is probably the last summer can realistically sign him, even that would be difficult.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Looking forward to seeing the likes of Walcott Gibbs jenkinson chambers in the future these young talents look the real deal
Your attempt at a joke lost quite a lot of substance by grouping two players over the age of 26 with two players under the age of 26...

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I don't get why people say he's overrated. Top scorer in the league, very consistent in recent years, but it's not like people are calling him world class? People just generally agree that he's a very good PL striker.
Wish this was still the case. Sadly, now the lad is at United, he'll be called World Class by all the United fans and most pundits.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Think it's fair to say Lukaku is world class. He has stepped up in a brilliant way. I still think he would struggle at a club like us because we wouldn't play to his strengths and a classier player like Morata would have been more suited to how we play.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Think it's fair to say Lukaku is world class. He has stepped up in a brilliant way. I still think he would struggle at a club like us because we wouldn't play to his strengths and a classier player like Morata would have been more suited to how we play.
Are we one of the only top clubs that does this.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
A sad indictment of the beautiful game today when such a talented youngster like Mbappe thinks it's OK to dive in the penalty area without being touched at all

Top Bottom