Arsenal vs West Ham United - 23/01/13 KO: 19:45

leo_ense (Lobby Member) on January 21st, 2013, 12:27 pm

Will miss this one due to work, just please win. Also it's odd it's not being televised considering its a late midweek game.

______________Szczesny____________
_Jenkinson_Koscielny_Vermaelen_Gibbs_
_____________Diaby_Wilshere_________
_______________Cazorla_____________
__Chamberlain__Walcott__Podolski_____

Bench: Mannone, Ramsey, Mertesacker, Sagna, Giroud, Arshavin, Coquelin.

There's no chance we will see my 11, will probably be the same team as yesterday.

tap-in (Forum Member) on January 21st, 2013, 12:46 pm

We badly need to start winning games. Every now and then I post our final pts for the season based on games so far. People always say its a stupid stat. I remember posting one back in Oct, our final pts were 57. Well not much has changed, its now 59 pts, and that has been rounded up.

We should win this game but we could so easily draw or lose, we are that unpredictable at present.

Drop Sagna for Jenks, bring in Poldi if he is fit. Coq should continue as he is improving with game time. Also pleased with Gibbs recently. Sadly Giroud has to be dropped.

yousif_arsenal (Forum Member) on January 21st, 2013, 12:48 pm

Why not Leo_ense i think we will see your line up next game because Podolski and Aoc will back from illness.

we must win this game no need to drop more points.

SA Gunner (Forum Member) on January 21st, 2013, 12:50 pm

Start of a run where we need to gather points again, for both momentum and confidence.

I suspect Wenger wont be doing much in this window to lift us, so a good performance here is key to get players believing again.

leo_ense (Lobby Member) on January 21st, 2013, 2:18 pm

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... t-west-ham

Arsène has come out and said we can't afford to lose any more matches this season, if the players come out with the same half assed commitment I will be livid. We need to win our next 2 games (West Ham, Liverpool both home games) in order to put 6 points between Liverpool who are on our tail. Rest some vital players during the Brighton game, if our second string can't put in a shift against Brighton than we have huge problems.

jones (Forum Member) on January 21st, 2013, 2:18 pm

Why is this not televised? It's the only game mid-week FFS.

leo_ense (Lobby Member) on January 21st, 2013, 4:04 pm

Tickets for this game and the LIVERPOOL game are still available on general sale! Hopefully Wenger and the cronies on the board start getting the message.

Airknight (Forum Member) on January 21st, 2013, 5:44 pm

We need Giroud to help defend against the monster that is Carlton Cole so i think he starts.

The rest looks fine, on paper. No Jenkinson, leave him for cup games.

ferrarif50hunt (Forum Member) on January 21st, 2013, 7:40 pm

MaestroCesc (Forum Member) on January 21st, 2013, 7:41 pm

-----Szczesny---------
Jenko---Merte---Vermaelen---Gibbs
--------Frimpong---------
-----Wilshere---Cazorla
--Walcott---Giroud----AOC

Thats if Coquelin is injured.

Bossa (Forum Member) on January 21st, 2013, 9:59 pm

Podolski Walcott Chamberlain
Wilshere Ramsey Cazorla
Gibbs Vermaelen Koscielny Jenkinson
Szczesny

Why havent we signed anyone yet????

DiamondGooner (Forum Member) on January 21st, 2013, 10:15 pm

I would swap Jenkinson for Sagna, complacency is creeping in and Jenkinson was doing well while Sagna was injured.

Also Walcott up front scoring and Podolski back in the side, Giroud should be benched and only come on as a sub IF needed.

ArsenalDNA (Forum Member) on January 21st, 2013, 10:21 pm

Szczesny
Jenkinson Koscielny Vermaelen Gibbs
Diaby Ramsey
Walcott Wilshere Cazorla
Podolski

If Podolski isn't back push Walcott up front and play AOC wide.

If Podolski and Chamberlain aren't back, push Walcott up front and play with 10.

trunks206 (Forum Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 9:32 am

:lol: and to think there was some outside of Arsenal criticizing the postponement of the game because we could have brought in some January signings by the time of the rescheduled match and they could end up deciding the game....:lol:

Hey wait a minute maybe thats why we havent signed anyone yet....hmmmmm....

Penn_ (Forum Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 11:14 am

We surely can't expect Diaby to play in this can we, his a useless DM anyway rather have Frimpong, Ramsey or one of the CBs there.

musicmonkey (Forum Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 11:42 am

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/01/coquel ... -west-ham/

Coquelin's out apparently, Podolski back in with no news on Chamberlain yet.

Glovegun (Trusted Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 11:48 am

I hope he goes with Frimpong but I think he'll go with Ramsey.

leo_ense (Lobby Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 11:55 am

Frimpong wasn't cutting it at Charlton and hasn't found his feet yet after injury. He shouldn't start a match this important.

Mastadon (Forum Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 11:59 am

Diame should be able to fit in nicely for us the DM position. Oh wait he's still playing for the other team. If he has a good game against us and god forbid he scores a goal I forsee civil unrest in this forum.

DiamondGooner (Forum Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 2:26 pm

Mastadon wrote:Diame should be able to fit in nicely for us the DM position. Oh wait he's still playing for the other team. If he has a good game against us and god forbid he scores a goal I forsee civil unrest in this forum.

Wenger's been singing his praises in the press, great instead of just buying him at £3.5 mil why not talk him up so others bid for him as well and drive up the price?

evoh_1 (Lobby Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 3:43 pm

Diame, we've really fallen far from the sodding tree now when people are beggin to bring someone of his standards in.

Mastadon (Forum Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 4:39 pm

I actually rate Diame highly and think he would get into our first 11. A powerful defensive midfielder, adapted to the EPL, great work rate, excellent on the ball whats not to like? And with his release clause of $fuvk all he's also very attainable. Rather than sign another potential flop from the French league why don't we go for a proven PL player? It worked well with Arteta and Benayoun.

Dokaka (Forum Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 4:51 pm

Mastadon wrote:I actually rate Diame highly and think he would get into our first 11. A powerful defensive midfielder, adapted to the EPL, great work rate, excellent on the ball whats not to like? And with his release clause of $fuvk all he's also very attainable. Rather than sign another potential flop from the French league why don't we go for a proven PL player? It worked well with Arteta and Benayoun.

Diamé isn't exactly playing as a defensive midfielder for us though. He's playing the B2B role, doing all the running for our otherwise static midfield.

Floating (Trusted Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 5:01 pm

Dokaka wrote:
Mastadon wrote:I actually rate Diame highly and think he would get into our first 11. A powerful defensive midfielder, adapted to the EPL, great work rate, excellent on the ball whats not to like? And with his release clause of $fuvk all he's also very attainable. Rather than sign another potential flop from the French league why don't we go for a proven PL player? It worked well with Arteta and Benayoun.

Diamé isn't exactly playing as a defensive midfielder for us though. He's playing the B2B role, doing all the running for our otherwise static midfield.

Agreed - Diame and Diaby are often mistaken for being defensive midfielders because of their size and power, but they both play more box-to-box roles for their clubs.

Mastadon (Forum Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 5:30 pm

I dont think anybody could mistake Diaby as a DM he's nowhere near good enough defensively. Wenger made Arteta into our DM he could easily do the same with Diame who would be a better fit for the role or if he plays him B2B he has the engine and skill to make it work so he covers 2 positions for us. He would probably end up in the role Song used to play can't say I would mind seeing him there. I rate Diame I've seen enough of him to believe he could be a class player for us.

Dokaka (Forum Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 5:43 pm

Mastadon wrote:I dont think anybody could mistake Diaby as a DM he's nowhere near good enough defensively. Wenger made Arteta into our DM he could easily do the same with Diame who would be a better fit for the role or if he plays him B2B he has the engine and skill to make it work so he covers 2 positions for us. He would probably end up in the role Song used to play can't say I would mind seeing him there. I rate Diame I've seen enough of him to believe he could be a class player for us.

You haven't seen enough of Diamé if you believe he could be a class DM. He's about as good defensively as Diaby is, probably has a bit more workrate about him though.

Diamé defend by relentlessly closing down players all over the pitch. He doesn't protect the back 4, he simply tries to prevent the ball from ever coming near the defence. His positioning is often horrendous but he makes up for it in his work rate and his physical attributes.

Trust me, Diamé would be a horrible DM for Arsenal. He'd fill in for Diaby and pretty much nothing else. He's good at that specific role, very good in fact. But don't mistake him as being the next Makelele.

There's a reason Noble is our deepest midfielder and not Diamé.

Mastadon (Forum Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 5:51 pm

I'll take your word for it but don't you think he would get into the Arsenal first team? Alongside either Arteta or Diaby sharing the defensive duties. A high energy + work rate midfielder who will close down opponents sounds like what we need.

Dokaka (Forum Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 6:22 pm

In my world he would, but I doubt Wenger sees it that way. He'd be a detriment to your passing game, although considering Ramsey has played quite a lot he probably would fit in decently. He's probably as secure on the ball as Ramsey, with a bit more power and drive in his dribbling up the pitch. Can't pick a pass like Ramsey though.

Starting both Diaby and Diamé would certainly be interesting. I'd argue they're too similar in style though to work well together. It'd force one of them into a more defensive role anyway.

AFC-Phil (Elite Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 6:54 pm

Dokaka wrote:
You haven't seen enough of Diamé if you believe he could be a class DM. He's about as good defensively as Diaby is, probably has a bit more workrate about him though.

Diamé defend by relentlessly closing down players all over the pitch. He doesn't protect the back 4, he simply tries to prevent the ball from ever coming near the defence. His positioning is often horrendous but he makes up for it in his work rate and his physical attributes.

Trust me, Diamé would be a horrible DM for Arsenal.

Pretty much agree with this. He's horrendous tactically for our level and as I said 3 weeks ago, the wankfest over him is ridiculous. No brain and all physical attributes.

evoh_1 (Lobby Member) on January 22nd, 2013, 7:04 pm

I'm seeing this lineup from our injurys / need to rotate.

______________Szczesny____________
_Sagna_Mertesacker_Vermaelen_Gibbs
_________Ramsey_Wilshere__________
_____________Cazorla______________
__Walcott______Giroud_Podolski/Ox_
Next

Options

tracker