• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Arsenal v West Ham - 9/8/15, 13:30 - SS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

onetowatch

There is no crisis. Gutted by the loss, but it might have done us some good.

I am really looking forward to see how we play next week. A reminder that title winners bring intensity every game was probably required considering what we saw today. Not seeing what happens behind closed doors, none of us can really know if the problem was Wenger not motivating the players/squad or the players/squad taking our dominance for granted. My belief is that it was more the latter than the former. There was so much feel-good among players, coaches, fans that maybe it took way that edge that is the difference between preseason and the season.

Sanchez looked awful and he was still very dangerous. What I really liked was Wenger's willingness to bring on attackers so early in the game. His usual formula would have really ticked me off.

For those who believe all is lost, I think you will have a big surprise coming. In the end, every point is crucial, but IMHO we will only have a single rival this season. So after round one it is Chelseas 1 and Arsenal 0. On to round two.

The part in bold is the crux of it and has been since 2007. No reminders should be needed FFS, we have had 8 years of reminders, complacency, over confidence and lack of urgency. This isn't a new phenomenon.

We've all seen this film before.

onetowatch

We may well go on a strong run but it's only a matter of time before the complacency creeps back in. Probably soon after the confidence and feel good factor have been restored and the players and manager have bought back into the hype.

Until then, the selfies, funny vids on arsenal player will take a back seat and the the boys will have their serious face back on as they try to "prove the critics wrong".

They simply can't do it over a whole season. They lack the mentality. How much more evidence do we need?

WurzlSepp

Has No Chill
The part in bold is the crux of it and has been since 2007. No reminders should be needed FFS, we have had 8 years of reminders, complacency, over confidence and lack of urgency. This isn't a new phenomenon.

We've all seen this film before.

I agree with you here. But why is it like that?
Imo we lack some agressive players, leader(s).
Just think about Schweinsteiger in the world cup final - or was it CL?

onetowatch

I agree with you here. But why is it like that?
Imo we lack some agressive players, leader(s).
Just think about Schweinsteiger in the world cup final - or was it CL?

It's like that because Wenger has over a long period engrained a culture and mentality of complacency, excuses and lack of accountability at the club. The players always know they will get another chance no matter how badly they **** up.

There has been evidence that that is changing but it takes time to change the culture and mentality of a team.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Benzema will come out in an Arsenal jersey and score a hat trick on his surprise debut. Arsène Wenger is renamed the Special One, and Mourinho asks for Cech back.

Just a hunch.

I was wrong. All wrong.

Cech had a nightmare. Monaco flashbacks. Good addition to the team. A natural bottler. We are contagious!

Let's hope this humbles them and they come back stronger. @Dokaka , your boys were brilliant. That 16 year old is a damn talent. So awkward and humble too in his post match interview. Very happy when young talent come through.

Bring on next weekend.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
Hate to admit it but I think Danny Murphy's write up on the bbc was pretty accurate on our tactical failure today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33843425
He's absolutely spot on. But it's something we've been saying for ages now. It's a clear flaw in our tactics that any half-decent side can easily nullify. We literally play into the hands of so many managers. They know exactly how we're going to play.

I really hope Wenger finally realises this and makes the necessary changes for next week. Because if that wasn't a massive wake up call that our narrow-playmaker overload-style doesn't work effectively enough, i don't think he'll ever realise.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
I am totally of the belief that this loss will be good for us in the longterm. We got complacent. Better to nip it in the bud now, rather than get our heads stuck in the sand like a giant Ostrich.

EricCartman

F*ck me you guys, can't believe Cech made two howlers on his debut. Horrible stuff dude.

The way I see it, we need someone who can mark a man and is good defensively while also having good technique, passing skills and vision to play along Ramsey or Coq in a more defensive/supportive role, hanging around the mid circle during attacks and offering support from there if needed. Aka someone like Illaramendi. Next we need a true winger to pair up with Alexis or Ox, and they need to stay WIDE. Have Özil at the 10 be the playmaker who holds up the ball, and Ramsey/Coq as a box to box type of role behind.

Make everything go through Özil and let those wingers cut inside to get onto passes and through balls behind the defense, not to come looking for it. They need to stay on the touch line and make runs behind the defense from there. And a striker is needed too.

BaZZe

Always Blaming Refs

F*ck me you guys, can't believe Cech made two howlers on his debut. Horrible stuff dude.

The way I see it, we need someone who can mark a man and is good defensively while also having good technique, passing skills and vision to play along Ramsey or Coq in a more defensive/supportive role, hanging around the mid circle during attacks and offering support from there if needed. Aka someone like Illaramendi. Next we need a true winger to pair up with Alexis or Ox, and they need to stay WIDE. Have Özil at the 10 be the playmaker who holds up the ball, and Ramsey/Coq as a box to box type of role behind.

Make everything go through Özil and let those wingers cut inside to get onto passes and through balls behind the defense, not to come looking for it. They need to stay on the touch line and make runs behind the defense from there. And a striker is needed too.

We have 2 southpark characters at the forum now?

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

That's the thing with Ox - he spends a lot of time jogging around in central positions - I wish we could just play with classical wing play sometimes.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
You better respect my authoritah. Finally this forum has someone who's totally kewl.
He's seriously you guys.

But we all know who's the best South Park character around here..

anigif_enhanced-buzz-28977-1384965869-11.gif

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
That's the thing with Ox - he spends a lot of time jogging around in central positions - I wish we could just play with classical wing play sometimes.
it's like he is stuck in two minds all game. "I'm a wing. I'm a mid. I'm a wing. I'm a mid. I'm a wing. I'm a... Oh look my fullback is unprotected"

BobP

Memri Fan
After having gone to bed and given myself some time to think about it, I don't think we played badly in spite of a few mistakes in team selection.

Firstly I've been adamant that Ramsey shouldn't be starting deep middle, he's athletic, powerful and is thus more press friendly meaning he should be playing wide at this stage in his development. He is inconsistent on the ball and nowhere near as good or penetrative as Cazorla is on the ball. He needs to stop insisting that he should be playing through the middle and prove, which he hasn't done so up until now.

That relates largely to the lack of balance in the team. Ox is more of a midfielder therefore I would have probably started with both Walcott and Giroud with Ox, Özil, Cazorla and Coq. Wenger probably thought that Ox had enough penetration to mean not needing to play Walcott.

I'm still shell shocked by Cech, can't quite believe his performance, he had nothing to do for close to the entire game with the exception of the two goals.

The Hammers were playing a diamond meaning the middle was going to be congested whilst leaving us space on the wings, Bellerin would have thrived in such conditions but even putting that aside, when the player was free wide the ball carrier would refuse to play a quick pass into their feet even when they were in acres of space which is just inexplicable, when up against such a formation that is exactly where we are going to profit.

Also this talk about Oxford shutting Özil down is nonsense, Özil was neutralized by West Hams shape not one player marking him.

We had chances we should converted, we failed to, West Ham converted, they retreated, making it harder for us to penetrate, they score another goal, GG.

The diamond is an absolute ***** to play against, remember Dortmund having similar sorts of problems to us against Juventus. It's even a ***** formation to go against on FM, just overloads the middle defensively and offensively, overwhelming your centre backs.

TexasGoonR

My main problem with the team besides having a legitimate striking threat, is Ramsey. I feel like he feels he may be bigger than the team and he can do whatever he wants. he plays selfish and I saw part of it last year and he still is playing that way. When fit, I feel safer with Wilshere in the cm instead of him and for the love of god he's not a natural winger. Why does wenger keep putting him there. I saw the starting lineups this morning and was like crap we may lose with that lineup.

Watching coq miss pass after pass after pass today definitely made me feel like we would lose. Not sure what's going on there.

This team looked the total opposite of the one that played Chelsea. In Texas, 2 of my best friends are manu fans and I've been hearing about it all day.

We need a dm and a striker. Let theo and Sanchez play wings and send ox to the training ground. Watching him today, he played well but damn he has such a heavy touch, he kicks himself out of the play for the ball almost every time he touches it. I'm not going to act like the sky is falling because it's not, but they need to fix it.

Cech.... Yeah I don't know what to say here about his effort today.

I guess the good news we can get the loss out of the way so we can win the other 37!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom