• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Arsenal v Liverpool- 24/08/15, 20:00. [SS1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriniGunner

That line up is miles away from winning you the league though. Agree that it's probably Wenger's favourite but its certainly not a team I'd back to win the title.

It's a balanced team. I could see what he's going for their with both pace and cover for the fullbacks.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
Think the only change we'll make will be Walcott for Giroud.
No way Giroud gets dropped for this. Walcott or Ox on the right is the only change I can see, but we'll probably see the same lineup if everyone is fit.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
@RandyMarsh
Ramsey out wide gets a lot of stick but it's worth remembering that many of our best/most fluid attacking performances last season came with him in that role:
- 4-0 Villa in the final
- 4-1 Liverpool
- 4-1 WBA (Wilshere out wide rather than Ramsey)
- 3-1 Hull
- 5-0 Villa

Results are actually pretty astonishing when you take the time to look through them. Pretty much all our biggest victories over the last 6 months have come with a CM on the RW. Maybe Wenger does know what he's doing?
3 out of those 5 were with a pacey guy up front though. Which makes up for the lack of speed we have on our right side when Ramsey or Wilshere play there.

I just really don't like it when our front 3 only has one pacey outlet. It makes us too easy to defend against imo.

I'm not completely against Ramsey playing out wide but I think you have to have either Welbeck, Theo or Alexis up top when you do. It makes our attack a lot more balanced.

Also worth noting our win percentage when playing with 2 direct wingers last season was 20% higher than when we didn't play them. Speed, speed and more speed. That's what we want to see ;)

Last edited:

RandyMarsh

Established Member
@RandyMarsh
Ramsey out wide gets a lot of stick but it's worth remembering that many of our best/most fluid attacking performances last season came with him in that role:
- 4-0 Villa in the final
- 4-1 Liverpool
- 3-1 Hull
- 5-0 Villa

Results are actually pretty astonishing when you take the time to look through them. Pretty much all our biggest victories over the last 6 months have come with a CM on the RW. Maybe Wenger does know what he's doing?
Sorry my mistake. 2 out of the 5. Forgot Giroud was playing up top for the Villa game. Still stand by my view though :)

juice man

Can't make his mind up
Don't act like Wenger's perfect ffs. He's made a LOT of mistakes over the years.
Must have missed where I wrote any of that. Feel free to point me in the right direction. Wasn't particularly directed at you either BTW.

Prediction: 3-1 to the Arsenal. Giroud with a brace and Rambo to bag one as well. Coutinho will do nothing, but somehow Özil will catch all the criticism in a game he won.

Maxim

Also worth noting our win percentage when playing with 2 direct wingers last season was 20% higher than when we didn't play them. Speed, speed and more speed. That's what we want to see ;)

Can I ask where you got this stat?

As much as speed is great, you have to have some forward players who are comfortable on the ball as well as having that speed. a front 3 of Alexis - Welbz/Theo - Oxlade-Chamberlain would have a nightmare keeping the ball.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
Can I ask where you got this stat?

As much as speed is great, you have to have some forward players who are comfortable on the ball as well as having that speed. a front 3 of Alexis - Welbz/Theo - Oxlade-Chamberlain would have a nightmare keeping the ball.
Check the tactics & formations thread. I did the research myself.

Yeah I'll probably agree with you re not being able to keep hold of the ball so much, but I don't think theres a massive difference between Ramsey's ball retention and Ox's. Obviously there's a big difference between Giroud and Theo's though.

I don't think we can completely write off that front 3 untill we actually see it in action. Although I'd probably say our best front 3 includes Giroud at ST. Though Theo is definitely more suited to some games.

Last edited:

Jaywood Mac

Think well put in our best performance so far this season. Still edgy over Cech, and our defence and finishing but think it'll come together well for this match. Surely Rodgers will have learned something from previous emirates games and sit deep and counter though sitting deep and organised is never something he does or excels at.
Expect s closer game than last season but ill go 2-0/2-1 Arsenal. Cant wait to put the Scousers back in their box, getting a bit too noisy already.

Gervais

Established Member
Giroud
Alexis ----- Özil ----- Chambo
Ramsey - Coquelin
Nacho - Kos - Mert - Bellerin
Cech​

Bould14

Not sold that LFC midfield of Henderson and Milner will be able to handle us on the counter. The trick is going to be dealing with Benteke long balls it's added another dimension to their game.

I firmly believe that this game calls for a pacey winger. AW may have to drop Ramsey or Santi.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
@RandyMarsh
- 4-0 Villa in the final
- 4-1 Liverpool
- 3-1 Hull
- 5-0 Villa

We thrashed the likes of Hull, Villa, and WBA even Diaby and Gervinho out wide. Liverpool conceded 28 goals in 19 away games last season. It doesn't change the fact that Ramsey is not a better player than Theo or Ox on the right wing, nor that we are easier to defend against when playing with a lack of width.

Liverpool will use 5 midfielders who are centrally inclined - Lallana, Can, Coutinho, Henderson and Milner. That means the middle of the pitch will be very congested. They will probably have a 19 year old kid at left back - Joe Gomez. Anyone with a bit of sense would stick Theo or Ox on him, sit back and eat his popcorn in enjoyment.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Will be a different match this time though I feel , they have the out/long ball over the press to the big man Benteke.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Probably the same lineup as Palace game. Cant see Giroud being dropped. But, Ox would be nice, even though I really dont see Wenger changing anything

BobP

Memri Fan
We've averaged like 21 shots with 7-8 of those being on target, only 1 goal scored in 2 games with those statistics (Sanchez goal was counted as an own goal)

We absolutely need to be more prolific, absolutely pathetic.

We had chance after chance against Palace and we didn't capitalize, the league is such that if you don't capitalize on the chances you get during a dominant phase you will get done when the opposition do inevitably wrestle back control of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom