• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Bayern Munich vs. Arsenal | Wed 4th Nov 19.45

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty99

I forgot this and I think most of you did too.. but there is nothing such as goal difference in the champions league groups, so it doesn't matter how many goals Bayern score against us or Olympicos.

the rules are if 2 teams finish on the same points then it is based on head to head with that team. No goal difference.

What if the head to heads are the same result?

Lemon Shark

Appears only when we draw/lose
What if the head to heads are the same result?

so if we beat Olympicos 3-2 away and we finish on same points then I'm not sure what would happen, I guess it most go to goal difference, I don't know. But Jeff Stelling said that there is no goal difference rule in the champions league groups, its only on head to head.

TheSage

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles.../Regulations/02/23/57/51/2235751_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Article 17 Equality of points – group stage 17.01

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question; POINTS FIRST

b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question; GOAL DIFFERENCE SECOND, BUT ONLY THE TEAMS CONCERNED (SO IGNORE BM/DZ GAMES)

c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question; GOALS SCORED, BUT ONLY THE TEAMS CONCERNED (SO IGNORE BM/DZ GAMES)

d. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;

e. if, after having applied criteria a) to d), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to d) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) to l) apply;

f. superior goal difference in all group matches;

g. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;

h. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;

i. higher number of wins in all group matches;

j. higher number of away wins in all group matches;

k. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);

l. higher club coefficient (see Annex D).

So versus Olympiacos if we win our last two fixtures we can match the points a) we would need to score 2 more goals than them under b) or win by a single goal with a scoreline 4-3 or higher c) point d) doesn't apply, gets a bit silly after that lol .... got it ??????

Last edited:

blaze_of_glory

Lmao that's such an overgeneralization of what I said. I meant that we were unlucky with injuries while Bayern suffered none, Bayern fans keep saying injuries meant nothing but they'd be singing a different song if tables were turned.
Haha, I know, I wasn't trying to be a **** or anything. I was more trying to make light of all the factors that we had going against us in this one. Anyone who says injuries aren't a major factor is lying to themselves. We were missing 5 players from the team that beat them two weeks ago, that's half the starting lineup!

blaze_of_glory

Oh man, didn't see this before the game. In case we needed any more context

Bayern's last 7 CL home games before this one:
1-0 v Man City
2-0 v Roma
3-0 v CSKA
7-0 v Shakhtar
6-1 v Porto
3-2 v Barcelona
5-0 v Zagreb

scytheavatar

Established Member
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, he's somehow even more **** than Debushit himself

No he is not, Chambers at least works hard and can occasionally play well. His issue is all down to lack of experience and confidence, while Debuchy simply has lost his legs post his numerous injuries.

BobP

Memri Fan
Didn't watch the match but have had a look at the highlights.

We were pretty **** defensively but I mean Bayern are no scrubs when attacking.

We didn't take our chances when attacking which would have made the score line look a bit more respectable.

flabani

Lmao that's such an overgeneralization of what I said. I meant that we were unlucky with injuries while Bayern suffered none, Bayern fans keep saying injuries meant nothing but they'd be singing a different song if tables were turned.

It's not true that Bayern does not have injured players. Ribery is out. Robben was out. Mario Gotze picked up an injury during euro qualifiers. It was a big loss to Bayern because he is great playmaker and his cooperation with Lewandowski is stellar (maybe because they played together for a long time in Dortmund so they understand each other on pitch). Three days after Gotze injury they've faced Arsenal away and they were still doing well. The ball possesion, chances created were on Bayern side during the first match also but both Lewandowski and Muller (two best Bayern finishers) weren't clinical as they always are in Bundesliga and Robben was hurt so another offensive player couldn't replace them. Today they regained their form, were more clinical.
If we are using the excuse that Arsenal lost because of injuries, we might as well say that Bayern lost the first match because of injuries (I mean: compared to the first match, they had time to practice more team schematics without relying on Gotze individual abilities and Robben was available as substitute in case they've struggled).
But to be fair: even with some problems Bayern put a fight in London. The result wasn't known until the last seconds (literally - Arsenal scored second goal after Alaba stupidly lost ball, cheaply creating chance for Arsenal. Until then Bayern still had a chance to equalise).
Contrary to the first match, the result of today's match was known at a halftime.

VancouverCanuck

I think most people here are not suggesting we would have won if we didn't have so many injuries.

There is obviously a gap in class between the two teams right now. And Bayern is probably the most in-form team in Europe right now.

But I think we can make a strong argument that we would have been at least more competitive on the pitch if we didn't have as many injuries.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
They did when we won.

Jazz

So can everyone agree now that we NEED to LOSE the remaining games. Absolutely cannot be in the Europa league.

Mastadon

Established Member
What's wrong with letting our 2nd string play in the Europa league? Just treat it as the european version of the league cup our youngsters and fringe players need game time.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Agree great place for guys like Jeff , Iwobi and Debuchy , Chambers to get game time . Wele is coming back too .

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Lads & lasses-don't fret over this game. It was a dead rubber. The only thing that was important was that we took 3 pts from Bayern over the 2 legs. We played them tonight with a hand tied behind our back. Yes they were good but a team that's extremely vulnerable on the break got a huge let off because we had ZERO pace up front.

A couple things.

1. Campbell is a Goner-no pace and will not make it despite ANYTHING Wenger says.

2. Debuchy is a Goner also-he's a busted flush

3. This team is still good enough to dismantle Sp*rs.

4. Sanchez needs a rest badly!

5. Özil is on fire..........

6. If Wenger serious about the CL, then he got a wake up call tonight. Sort out the injuries or flesh out the squad. The team is at it's bare minimum right now.

Wenger has a choice right now. Is he goinmg to stop ****ing around or get serious about winning major titles. We will not win titles with 9 senior players in the sick bay-unless your squad is sufficiently deep which we aren't.

Wenger needs to wake the **** up and clear all the deadwood NOW. We have a very strong 1st team but what's behind that is not top class.

Last edited:

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
We'll make the knock out stages. What happened tonight may dent confidence but hopefully not. We just need to beat Zagreb & then Olympiacos by 2 clear goals, Simple.

Tonight's match was a dead rubber-just sorry we got tanked.

Jasinho

We'll make the knock out stages. What happened tonight may dent confidence but hopefully not. We just need to beat Zagreb & then Olympiacos by 2 clear goals, Simple.

Tonight's match was a dead rubber-just sorry we got tanked.

Also need to hope Olympiacos doesn't get anything from their Bayern game, though I'm with you in thinking we'll make it through the group stage by the skin of our teeth. Bayern should be cruising through both their remaining games and we should be beating Zagreb and Olympiacos convincingly as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom