• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal v Barcelona - 23/02/16, 19:45

Status
Not open for further replies.

VancouverCanuck

At the moment, we a couple of levels below Barca and Bayern. We will seriously upgrade on every position but Cech, Özil and maybe Kos and Monreal in the order to complete. Not going to happen

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
The Times are saying Wenger will field a weakened team at the Nou Camp, with Özil, Monreal and Koscielny among the players rested.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
The Times are saying Wenger will field a weakened team at the Nou Camp, with Özil, Monreal and Koscielny among the players rested.

Seems like they still don't know Wenger after all these years.

On the back of his mind, Wenger will have the near triumph at Bayern with a much worse squad, so he will certainly go All In.

indy23

I know fans are supposed to dream but Barcelonas squad is much further along than where Arsenal are at right now. Just need to be patient. That barca d looks suspect maybe we can steal a goal quick at the nou camp otherwise we gotta try and win the league and than wenger will most likely make his striker/attacker addition like i said previously Giroud ia 30 next year, thats usually when Wenger looks for a replacement at that position.

Hope we go and grab someone from Germany NT or even south America.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Wenger might rest players as we're in a title race but I doubt it.

Doesn't seem right at 2 down as the next goal is vital, it's not like we're 4/5 goals behind.

Yes we still stand no chance, but it's football, get the next goal and you're back in the tie.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Hm I'd say its absolutely a dead tie now with our goal scoring issues. Let Iwobi have a go at them I say :)

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Seems like they still don't know Wenger after all these years.

On the back of his mind, Wenger will have the near triumph at Bayern with a much worse squad, so he will certainly go All In.

I assume any decision regarding fielding a weakened team will depend on how well we're doing domestically at that point. There are four games scheduled in the league (two of which are Man Utd and Sp**s) and two more in the FA Cup before we play Barcelona again. If we're in a position where we can realistically go for the domestic double I 'm certain Wenger will rest two or three key players in Spain.

indy23

Wenger might rest players as we're in a title race but I doubt it.

Doesn't seem right at 2 down as the next goal is vital, it's not like we're 4/5 goals behind.

Yes we still stand no chance, but it's football, get the next goal and you're back in the tie.

Agreed, i don't like the idea of just rolling over and dying especially against a team that has had our number for the better part of a decade. I would rather have that 2nd leg close but no cigar game we have had against the likes of bayern and milan away. That usual "valiant" effort leads arsenal into a good run of games to finish the year.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

That is all well and good but we have 7 games in 20 days, the state of the squad might force our hand.

General

Established Member
Just watched the second half again up until the point we conceded. Two things really hurt us in this game;
1. Lack of creative outlet in midfield. There was quite simply no go to guy and it badly hurt our distribution. Ramsey may have run a lot but half of the time was spent chasing shadows. The cutting edge to his passing was few and far between and he was very one dimensional. This forced some of the creative workload onto Coquelin who neither covered himself in glory with some long stray balls. There was very little communication between the two and there were a few occasions when Coquelin had time but quickly offloaded into no man's land because no one shouted time.
2. Second was the obvious lack of pace upfront which meant Barca built from the back with relative ease and pushed up at will. Alvez went on a walkabout in midfield at his own choosing, and we never had the pace to get behind. Sanchez kept cutting inside and also played some abysmal lose balls. He went from the sublime to the ridiculous and didn't really trouble Alvez. There was one particular lose ball behind Theo which deserved a slap.

I think those who said we were confortable until the goal need to watch the second half again. Barca lured us into a false sense of security by slowing the game down to walking pace and every time they upped the tempo we got caught out and we're all at sea. It was quite clear we were not used to playing this way and looked far from a well drilled outfit even if we had a decent go at times. We were were too busy marking empty spaces. Suddenly out of nowhere, Neymar had a one on one with Cech which he should've scored, Suarez had a free header and bizarrely knocked the ball back. He also played another ball across goal which Newmar would've tapped in had he not stopped. Overall we looked anaemic and laboured in possession and only Bellerin, Monreal, Kos and occasionally Özil played with any sort of urgency when we had the ball. Seems to me the more time off you give this team the more laboured we look.

You really have to question Wenger's man management of this game, from Ox being allowed to carry on after the second half which nearly cost us a goal to the long overdue introduction on Welbeck and the little justification for bringing on Flamini. He's still clinging onto his 70min substitutions when we should've brought on Welbeck much earlier. I was actually disappointed with our approach as I felt we were so much better than what we showed and lacked the fearlessness we had in 2011 when we beat a much better Barca despite conceding early.

AVENTUS

they got rid of him for neymar right or was it for suarez?

no offense to alexis but their front 3 looks much better than it was when he was playing alongside messi.
Not to sure. But if you look at Barcelona in the early 00's they were nobodies all was purely about Real Madrid in Spain and Europe but they had a excellent team emerging in La Masia the president had big plans for the mid 00's they wanted an anchor man somebody to take the team to the next level I watched a program about Barcelona and the president said there were 2 options

Ronaldinho or Thierry Henry

One club refused to sell regardless of price but PSG happily sold Ronaldiniho around him they built a team Eto, Deco, then starting introducing The Messi's from the Academy

This is a kicktv special and the story of Barcelona and how the president see the club to the heights we see today. No oil money, No sugar daddies, no takeovers.

Just pure hard work and excellent youth scouting in the early 00's Barcelona wasn't even getting out of the groups staged in the champions league sometimes wasn't even finishing top 4 in Spain. Great success story regardless how much we dislike them you have to respect them. Brilliant team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom