• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Man Utd vs Arsenal - 28th February, 14:05, SS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I look at it getting rid of Ramsey and Walcott in addition to Flamini, Arteta and Rosicky's wages is almost enough to buy Goetze and Xhaka or Krychowiak. We'd maybe have to spend another 20 million or so to make up the difference. We would then have easily 50-80 million that we could spend on a top class striker and a respectable CB. Then you just fill out the squad with smart buys ala Payet and promising youngsters like Iwobi.

We could spend easily set up like this next year without going completely mental in the transfer market:

Sanchez Morata or Sturridge
Özil
Goetze or Isco Cazorla
Xhaka or Krychowiak
Monreal Koscielny Javi Martinez Bellerin​

Bench: Giroud, Welbeck, Sczcesny, Gibbs, Wilshere(Ox), Coq(Elneny)Gabriel/Mertesacker
That team isn't going to lose the ball very often and they can kill you on the counter and defend. Should be competitive on all fronts at the very least and we've got the money to make it happen.

Aren't Ramsey and Walcott counted as "home grown"? Plus they're British. That's why they are still here.

ipgs

Amy Lawrence in today's Guardian writes:
Arsenal looked anything but a team going for the title – unless that title is for the world choking championship.

It sums up my emotion.

We used to make goalkeepers of opponent teams look like Buffon and now we reach a new height of making a teenager with no league experience look like Cruyff.

Recall that GDeep says somewhere on the forum: when teams are down, don't worry, Arsenal are coming to your ground.

edit: similar procedure, delete the accent symbol of Arsène in the link and use small letter "a" not "A" in Arsène will make the link work

Last edited:

General

Established Member
I understand the criticism for Wenger. He left us short in the summer and that's why we're in the position we're in. I get that. But I'm not going to blame him for today's game. He did what everyone wanted. He put Gabriel in defence. He put Walcott up front. He dropped Giroud. And Özil had all the runners in the world.

Unfortunately it's these changes that proved to be our undoing. Wenger was right to switch things up, but ultimately the changes everyone wanted weren't as effective as we thought they'd be.

As you've quite rightly pointed out, changes were made yet the end result was the same. We scored two goals and usually that should earn a so called title chasing team a draw away from home. Gifting teams a few goals lead and making it an uphill battle is normal for us (see 3-0 half time deficit at Stoke as a perfect example). The pattern of the game was all too familiar and the common denominator is Wenger.

I look at this game and I see shades of Mourinho's Chelsea in the weeks leading to his sacking. He tried everything from dropping players to changing formation but the playing philosophy remained the same and he just couldn't dig himself out of a hole. Hiddink then comes in with a fresh pair of eyes and the results have improved drastically with the same personnel. Any major club in our position would've sacked Wenger a long time ago when you consider the failure pattern. However unlike Mourinho, Wenger has time and unwavering support to turn things and we don't drop down the table as drastically as other big teams do. We then start again and the whole cycle inevitably repeats itself.

The changes people want to see ultimately requires a change in manager. This could be disastrous for us until we get better visibility at boardroom level and know who gains eventual control of the club out of Kroenke and Usmanov.

Last edited:

General

Established Member
Amy Lawrence in today's Guardian writes:
Arsenal looked anything but a team going for the title – unless that title is for the world choking championship.

It sums up my emotion.

We used to make goalkeepers of opponent teams look like Buffon and now we reach a new height of making a teenager with no league experience look like Cruyff.

Recall that GDeep says somewhere on the forum: when teams are down, don't worry, Arsenal are coming to your ground.

edit: similar procedure, delete the accent symbol of Arsène in the link and use small letter "a" not "A" in Arsène will make the link work

I know calling it chocking as far as Arsenal is concerned is fashionable but realistically is it really? This is what we serve every season and the circumstances are just different.

Wenger's approach and experience guarantee as a minimum level of competitiveness every season and we become title contenders by default when the usual protagonists fall away. 2/3rd place has always been our ceiling this season and I was never convinced otherwise. I find it funny when Liverpool, Chelsea and United fans say this is our best opportunity to win the league. I ask them what about your team? You've spent at awful lot of money to get to where you are but yet Arsenal with a regularly patched up midfield and an average striker should somehow be the favourites. Leicester and Sp**s have hit the high note Liverpool found under Brendan and whether they win it or not will revert back to form next season. I still think City will come through and take it.

Iceko

More than ever, Wenger has let us down this season. Us fans, the players, the club, himself. All of us. It started with his transfer tactics all the way up till now with his decision making. Walcott should not play the wing ever again. We all see it, how can he not? He must see it but he just keeps faith that Theo will turn it around. Hasn't happened for 10 years. Wenger ignoring Campbell and bringing on Iwobi was the last straw for me. He's absolutely clueless. Iwobi had probably the worst sub/cameo appearance I've ever seen. Campbell has way more skill and experience and could've kept the ball a lot better. What the hell is going on in Wenger's demented mind?! As we all said, if he doesn't win the league he should leave or be sacked. This is a disgrace.

I nearly turned it off at the Iwobi sub(I should have) but I kept watching only to see us getting bullied and played by United's players/youngsters. It actually got to the point where we were trying to knick the ball off a United player shielding it and Mesut freakin Özil had to come over and rob him of the ball. It was an absolutely dreadfull performance. Devoid of anywill to win, any fighting spirit and any intensity whatsoever.

Also, for the hopefuls: Don't kid yourselves, don't fool yourselves. This team is not winning the league. And we'll lose Mesut in the summer if we don't. Sp**s will have a field day with this team. Might not watch that because I've watched Wenger and some of our players **** about for too many games already this season.

/rant

Yesterday's performance was an absolute disgrace. Going down against an Utd's 2nd string without a fight. When we got stuff by Barca, at least we put up a fight.

We are bottling it season after season. From 07/08 when we had Cesc/Adebayor .... 10/11 with Na$ri/RVP/Arshavin..... 13/14 with Özil/Ramsey....when we got our our asses handed to us by the "big teams" and now this. We added Cech and Alexis since 13/14 and gone from being behind City and Liverpool to being behind Leicester and ****ing Sp**s. It's not about the quality of the players/squad any longer, it's the mentality.

There are no leaders in this team (perhaps Cech but that's about it) and our players just don't want it. There is one common denominator from 2006-present and that is Arsène Wenger.

Wenger has done an incredible job with us.. Getting Arsenal into the Champions League for 18 consecutive seasons is no easy feat, especially during 2005-07 when we moved to The Emirates. During the same period, we have seen Liverpool crumble out of the top 4 and Manchester United undergoing a transition after the retirement of SAF, Chelsea are also struggling. Wenger has done a phenomenal job and is without a shadow of a doubt the best manager we ever had. He has laid the groundwork for his successor to take over with a squad with a mix of youth and players in their prime. He deserves a statue, trams named after him and I will be forever grateful to him.

However, it's time for him to go. He has taken us as far as he can. The man can't inspire the players anymore, he doesn't bother fixing the obvious gaps we have in the squad, Kroenke doesn't care, he will be basking in the LA lights while sucking more $$$$ out of the fans. I hope Wenger does what's best for the club and steps down at the end of the season but that won't happen.

The season is over, it's the hope that kills.

raag

I actually don't recall ever seeing so many people on AM calling for Wenger's head. Maybe this is actually what will make his position untenable

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Even Arseblog is done with Wenger now. He has a lot of sway on the fan base.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Yes so many people are so angry about yesterday result and they right. It's just not good enough from our team.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
What make me more mad is we are having so many players off form when we challenge for title. Our whole centre backs are off form Ramsey Theo Alexis giroud too they all first team player. There no fight or leadership. Our manager has been off form long time ago too.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
What make me more mad is we are having so many players off form when we challenge for title. Our whole centre backs are off form Ramsey Theo Alexis giroud too they all first team player. There no fight or leadership. Our manager has been off form long time ago too.
Perhaps our manager is a square peg in a round hole just like half his team? ;)

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Was just looking at their line-up at it really hit me how bad there team was. Carrick at centre back, can you imagine the cluster that would be our defence if Coq/Elneny had to drop into defence.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
At least we know now.

Season over, anything higher than 4th is a bonus really.

Preparing myself to face Sp**s, Leicester and City supporters over the next few months.

Iceko

Was just looking at their line-up at it really hit me how bad there team was. Carrick at centre back, can you imagine the cluster that would be our defence if Coq/Elneny had to drop into defence.

Pathetic isn't it. How our players, particularly Sanchez, didn't target Carrick and Varela a lot more does my head in. They were both on yellows..

gunnercelt35

Still hurting like hell after that yesterday and very angry.

We needed our big players to stand up and justify their big wages. One of them needed to grab the game by the scruff of its neck and drag the team forward. That shouldn't have been needed though. We should have looked at that UTD team and thought this is our day and got in amongst it from the off.

What actually went on was a shocking performance. There was no fight. No heart. No passion. No desire. No urgency. We couldn't pass the ball. We didn't close them down fast enough and when we had the ball we were as slow as a week in the jail. At times we were infuriating with the square balls across the back or knocking it back to the keeper. At times you would have thought we were winning.

Arsène's time is up. Even if he wins the league. We need a change of direction and some fresh idea's.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Still hurting like hell after that yesterday and very angry.

We needed our big players to stand up and justify their big wages. One of them needed to grab the game by the scruff of its neck and drag the team forward. That shouldn't have been needed though. We should have looked at that UTD team and thought this is our day and got in amongst it from the off.

What actually went on was a shocking performance. There was no fight. No heart. No passion. No desire. No urgency. We couldn't pass the ball. We didn't close them down fast enough and when we had the ball we were as slow as a week in the jail. At times we were infuriating with the square balls across the back or knocking it back to the keeper. At times you would have thought we were winning.

Arsène's time is up. Even if he wins the league. We need a change of direction and some fresh idea's.

Exactly, do you know what United did to us when the roles were reversed and we played a weakened team against them? They hit us for 8 f**king goals.

We should have been coming away from that ground having given them the most ulmighty spanking. How we managed to lose that game is almost unbelievable.

Arseblog is very angry today, unlike him. One of the most level headed fans there is. A few times now this year he really has laid into the club. Theo in particular. I don't think I've ever seen him call for Wenger's head before though.

You do get the feeling that the fans just won't accept this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom