• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL | Arsenal vs Liverpool | 14th of August at 16:00 (GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

You're saying this about a man who let Sanchez play last year with a niggling injury. A man who put Theo on the pitch without a proper warm up, and the man who let an injured Cazorla continue to play for a further 50 minutes. :lol:
He also managed Özil very well last season, giving him trainings off and some cupgames too. Agree with you though, there is no logic to it.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I'm all for critising Wenger with facts, that's all. As soon as you say Wenger is very good to finish in the top four every season, better than most of the clubs in the Prem but hasn't got what it takes to actually win the league, then the rational debate begins about why not. This emotional claptrap about him being absolutely f***ing useless is just wasted text on screens.

How can his defence be that sh*t if they had the most clean sheets of any team in the league last season. It doesn't make sense. And how can 2nd be a laughing stock. What the f*** are you saying about those below half-way.

His criticism is not proportional to his achievements.
Think this is a fair observation when it comes to some of the criticism being much too black and white. We are not sh*t by any stretch, but for a team finishing second in the league last year, it feels like we are far, far away from challenging for the title. Just as we were far away last season(10 points).

There is so much frustration around with the way things have been over the last say 2-3 seasons. We are always players short. We hang on to old players and failed projects much too long. We are soft when it counts.

The reactions here on the forum is just a reflection of all that frustration and not about what happened 12 years ago.

OG J0E

Lots of cringe stuff being posted in here by the usual Wenger apologists.

Guy is a club legend with unbelievably achievements in the past but it's ****ing alarming when game after game we can't set up right tactically. Even when we play two DMs Wenger ****s it up by having them positioned too far up the pitch meaning they can't collect the ball off the back four and we don't have enough bodies back to defend against counters.

OG J0E

That twenty-minute period yesterday when they scored three was preventable even with the personnel we had, as long as we set the ****ing team up properly.

We've had loads of games go that way even with Mertesacker and Koscielny playing so the problem was clearly tactics over injuries.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
...because I don't think it comes down just to how many clean sheets we are getting but also in game management and being able to see out decisive moments in games and seasons.

I remember watching an interview with Mourinho a couple of years ago where he was saying that he knew the year previous that his team didn't have the mental ingredients to deliver when it really mattered, that at the real defining moments of the season, in big games and moments that they didn't have the character to be able to deliver.

The biggest recent example I can think of is last season against Liverpool away. We'd defended poorly in that game but had scored three good goals and got our noses in front. Everyone knew that game was huge marker in terms of the season as a whole, it would have cemented our position at the top of the league and had we have come away with three points from Anfield it would have been massive for not only our confidence but a body blow for everyone else.

We should have been defending that lead with our lives, those last few minutes were championship minutes, you could just feel it. What did we do? We let in a relatively cheap goal, Joe Allen getting there first to a second ball dropping in the area.

I can understand and accept that we don't have the budget of United, City or Chelsea so in that case we have to make it up in other areas which means we have to have more desire, more hunger, more tactical awareness, the sometimes intangible qualities that will set you aside from the others. I just don't see any of that from current day Arsenal. I just see quotes from Gazidis and Wenger that just stink of a defeatist attitude.
Fair enough. OK do you have the stats for the last few seasons of how many games we lose or draw from winning positions, as opposed to lose or draw from opposition winning positions?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Think this is a fair observation when it comes to some of the criticism being much too black and white. We are not sh*t by any stretch, but for a team finishing second in the league last year, it feels like we are far, far away from challenging for the title. Just as we were far away last season(10 points).

There is so much frustration around with the way things have been over the last say 2-3 seasons. We are always players short. We hang on to old players and failed projects much too long. We are soft when it counts.

The reactions here on the forum is just a reflection of all that frustration and not about what happened 12 years ago.
Agreed.

stajlarN

thought we looked good in the first half, then we died typical arsenal style in the second. Walcott was actually pretty good in the first half, but then he reminded me why I dont like him at all, I thought he stayed in the locker room after half time, then I saw him trip over the ball in the end. Our team looked really weak yesterday, we seriously need some signings :(

Highbury Rock City

I fully agree! It's not the end of the world, we all know Arsenal'll bounce back and finnish in the top four etc... But god damn it, it's still frustrating.

carlito'sway

Established Member
thought we looked good in the first half, then we died typical arsenal style in the second. Walcott was actually pretty good in the first half, but then he reminded me why I dont like him at all, I thought he stayed in the locker room after half time, then I saw him trip over the ball in the end. Our team looked really weak yesterday, we seriously need some signings :(

We looked good for may be a good 20 min, when our players were showing some energy and were chasing the ball around. We were not very fluent though.
But as soon as the energy dropped and Pool settled down and started imposing their pressing, one could sense that we could be in trouble.

Bashii

The lineup is based on match fitness and I'm sure Arsène knows a lot more about the going ons in the training ground than a poster on Arsenal Mania.

That line up is 100% the product of years of mismanagement. failure to manage the transfer market correctly. failure to plug holes in the squad. fallure to fill the team with depth.

let's not even go into tactics (or the lack of).

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Fair enough. OK do you have the stats for the last few seasons of how many games we lose or draw from winning positions, as opposed to lose or draw from opposition winning positions?

I don't have stats to hand but could take some time later if I get the chance to go through the last recent seasons and give good examples where I really think we've managed the games particularly badly or just plain not shown up at all. There's been a lot of examples. Like I said I've no interest in coming on here and arguing with you for the sake of it - it's just this what I've felt about the club for a very long time now; like we have gradually drifted away from the core values that once made us great. We used to become stronger in adversity, now we don't seem to have the character to pull us through tough situations like yesterday.

I almost guarantee we'll have a little purple patch of form with a few wins strung together then we will collapse as soon as the pressure racks up a little and the cold winter months set in, I guarantee we will see players dropping like flies and others will be overplayed to exhaustion, it started to happen already before we even kicked a ball in earnest. I hope I'm wrong and we keep a fit squad that stay switched on and turn in some brilliant performances and make a real assault for the title, from what we saw yesterday I just can't see it.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Annoyed certain key players didn't play just sat in the stands watching. They should make themselves available extended break or not.

Alexis has played International tournaments the last three summers, runs more than anyone else & had a serious sprain that confined him to a bed for his couple of weeks off. Was in no doubt he would play first game.. Just the guy he is.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
We are having issues which are very worrying for years and repeat themselves time and time again.

ChampagneFootball

We have zero tactical nous. Any other team with an attack like ours would have finished Liverpool in the last ten minutes of the first half by putting relentless pressure on a booked and very shaky Moreno. It bares repeating.

Our complete lack of tactical quality is astounding and costs us points time and time again.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Henry: "It looks like players don't want to come to play for Arsenal football club"

Henry really say this ?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Henry: "It looks like players don't want to come to play for Arsenal football club"

Henry really say this ?
Yip, I read that too. Not surprised either. He is either enticing Wenger into the market in a kind of "Can you still attract the best players" way or he is saying straight up that players do not see us as a club with enough ambition.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
Yeah he said it on Sky after the match. Regarding Lacazette, he also said something along the lines of, "from what I can tell, it seems he didn't want to come. I don't know what the problem is but they seem to find it hard to sign players."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom