• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Manchester United vs Arsenal- 19th November. 12:30 SS1

What will the result be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
No heart, no passion, no effort.

Losing 50-50 challenges and making silly mistakes due to the lackadaisical attitude especially in the 2nd half. Outside of Sanchez, Coq, Mustafi and Kos non of the starters really bothered (looking at you Theo, Özil etc). El Neny tries but just doesn't have the quality to start in a game of this scale. Theo was flat on offense and defense (he even admitted it in the post-game).

Felt Wenger got it all wrong this game (outside the AOC for Jenks obviously). Set it up too negatively and it permeated to the players. Coq and El Neny should never start together. Ramsey on the left was a bit safer but we really missed Iwobi linking up with Sanchez and Özil. Even more-so without Cazorla or Xhaka in the midfield. Nobody showed any movement ahead of the ball. Thought he needed to make the changes earlier, could have prevented the goal.

The only positive today was the moment of quality from AOC and Giroud that saved us and prolonged the lease on the title contention.

Last edited:

Sykes

Nacho needs upgrading for sure. Problem is there's not many legit options about.

You have:

Chilwell - too raw.
Bertrand - not good enough.
R. Rodriguez - can't defend.
Hector - won't come cheap.
Alaba - marquee but more of a CM these days.
Wendell - too soon after A. Santos?
Sidibe - better on the right.
De Sciglio - overrated.
Ghoulam - average.
Willems - unproven.

Of that lot Jonas Hector probably makes the most sense.
Guerreiro would've been great.

billyf

I believe our main issue is that there are many players that want the ball on feet and don't make runs in behind. We need to address that before everything or else the same will happen again.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Missed the game, just watched highlights. First thing I noticed was the ugly lineup, hope Ramsey wide left isn't the plan going forward but I wouldn't be surprised. Looked like we were lucky to get the draw but it's a good point all the same.

TriniGunner

No heart, no passion, no effort.

Losing 50-50 challenges and making silly mistakes due to the lackadaisical attitude especially in the 2nd half. Outside of Sanchez, Coq, Mustafi and Kos non of the starters really bothered (looking at you Theo, Özil etc). El Neny tries but just doesn't have the quality to start in a game of this scale. Theo was flat on offense and defense (he even admitted it in the post-game).

Felt Wenger got it all wrong this game (outside the AOC for Jenks obviously). Set it up too negatively and it permeated to the players. Coq and El Neny should never start together. Ramsey on the left was a bit safer but we really missed Iwobi linking up with Sanchez and Özil. Even more-so without Cazorla or Xhaka in the midfield. Nobody showed any movement ahead of the ball. Thought he needed to make the changes earlier, could have prevented the goal.

The only positive today was the moment of quality from AOC and Giroud that saved us and prolonged the lease on the title contention.

Wenger played for a draw and it showed from about the 10th minute. Jenkinson wasn't getting forward as much as Bellerin would have and it was clear as day that Mourinho told Martial to attack Jenkinson as much as he can. Without the pace of our fullbacks we're nullified so Sanchez was always coming deep (giggity) into midfield to collect the ball. When he did that Walcott tried making runs between the Utd defenders while Özil continued to drift above him. Utd won all those duels, they won the 2nd balls we looked devoid of ideas. We hardly interchanged on the flanks like we did all season, we hardly pressed. Our game was by design and the goal Utd scored, Monreal was caught out of position for the nth time. We were lucky to not lose but the overall attacking performance of the team is something I hope to not see ever again.

Without Bellerin and Cazorla we're void of ideas.

TriniGunner

I believe our main issue is that there are many players that want the ball on feet and don't make runs in behind. We need to address that before everything or else the same will happen again.

Without or wingbacks (especially Bellerin) we cannot make runs behind.

TriniGunner

Just thinking what Cazorla and Bellerin would have added to the game. Cazorla helping us control, allowing Özil to push up high. Bellerin far better defensively than Jenko and offering so much going forward too. What a shame. :(

They are our two most important players at the moment. I've always wondered why we haven't spent money on backup player for Cazorla.

OSBK

Established Member
Negative from us, we made average players look class.

Jenkinson looks so rusty and so far off bellerin standard.

Monreal had a shocker but he was not all to blame, we had 2 dm's playing who should be helping out.

Midfield didnt click and we just looked clueless.

The shut Özil off and kicked sanchez all over.

Lucky to get a point and a point I will take, but we have to get the tactics right and perform better.

That could have easily been a battering

N

NotAUserName

They are our two most important players at the moment. I've always wondered why we haven't spent money on backup player for Cazorla.
You can make a case for Cazorla but Bellerin?

This is a knee-jerk reaction if I've ever seen one.

skip spence

My ratings

Cech 7 Kept cool and made a few good saves. Pointless long kicks at times

Monreal 5 Had a mare against Valencia and offered little going forwards
Koscielny 7 Battled well, best defender on the pitch
Mustafi 6 Worse with the ball than usual
Jenkinson 6 Did well considering...

Coquelin 6 Combative but not involved in our passing
Elnenny 5 Looked frightened and lacked any kind of agency

Ramsey 4 Kept losing the ball and misplacing passes, often in dangerous positions
Özil 5 Had moments but far too few.
Walcott 5 Had little help but failed to make any kind of impression

Sanchez 6 Tried until the end but had little help dropping deep out of frustration. Decent first half, dropped off badly in the second.

MoM Giroud for the goal

say yes

forum master baiter
Cech - 7
Jenkinson - 2
Koscielny - 7
Mustafi - 6
Monreal - 2
Coquelin - 4
El-Neny - 3
Ramsey - 3
Özil - 4
Walcott - 4
Sanchez - 5

Oh_Snap

Cech - 7
Jenkinson - 2
Koscielny - 7
Mustafi - 6
Monreal - 2
Coquelin - 4
El-Neny - 3
Ramsey - 3
Özil - 4
Walcott - 4
Sanchez - 5

Give Jenks some rest, he shut down Martial pretty well imho and had very few errors. Didn't offer much offensivly but that'd be like slating a fish for his inability to walk.

BobP

Memri Fan
What's interesting is that Wenger didn't really seem to care.

Almost as if he was content with the draw.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Just watched the game again, so here is my take on this match:

1. Our defense actually played very well, particularly Kozstafi. Jenks didn't do too badly considering & Nacho wasn't on toast as a few had said but still was at fault for the goal imo - he let Herrera run off him too easily. A shiny new LB wouldn't go amiss next season though.

2. Whilst I thought that Arsène got his team selection wrong, the double pivot of Le Coq & Elneny did a decent job in terms of the defensive side of things & that was their main priority.

UTD. never really threatened our goal that much even during that 20 min spell after the break - credit to the back 6 who really kept them at arms length.

However:

3. WTF does Ramsey bring to this team apart from another body? Wenger bottled it by putting him wide left - he was useless & hopefully we won't see him out there again. He was slightly better in the middle but that doesn't say much. He did track back more than maybe Iwobi would have but offered ZERO threat going forward.

4. Wenger chose the wrong front 4 - Theo & Rambo are not the most technically gifted players and they were the real reason we had little in attack. Theo's improved this season but he's still not the type of elite wide man we need - he's so limited when he's on the ball that it's a joke, furthermore, Jenks ain't no Messi on the ball and as a result there was ZERO threat from the RHS, normally our stronger attacking side.

5. Özil & Sanchez did what they could do and whilst not having great games offered the only real glimpses of any quality in our front 4 until Giroud & the Ox nicked the point at the death. Sanchez did drop too deep in the 1st half for my liking but he just wants to be involved.

6. Good to see two much maligned players in the Ox & Ollie G combine to score the goal. PSG aside that was the biggest goal we've scored this season imo - the narrative had we lost would have been unthinkable & unbearable.

7. Xhaka must wonder WTF he has to do to get into the team.

8. If you'd given Wenger a point before the game he would have bitten your hand off for it and run back to London.

9. Whilst it was an insipid attacking effort, defensively we were very good I thought - trouble is, if you offer nothing going forward then your opponent become emboldened in their own attacking play.

10. We need better attacking players, players who are good enough to be brave in a technical sense when coming to hostile grounds like OT. Real quality to compliment Alexis & Özil.

In summation, whilst the performance didn't inspire, credit should definitely be given to the team for coming back at the death and this will give them a LOTS of confidence going forward.

Last edited:

TriniGunner

You can make a case for Cazorla but Bellerin?

This is a knee-jerk reaction if I've ever seen one.

Come on dude. If you're debating that then you have absolutely no idea how we play. Bellerin is used during most of our attacks. He's used to drag players out of position and he's used to run at full backs who themselves have been caught out. We use him like that cause of his pace and his ability to recover. Our right and left sided attacking play are different simply because of him. Without him Wenger chooses to play safe. We have problems creating space on the right and we usually go narrow from the time we're into the final third simply because our right side is our best attacking side. Bellerin is a huge part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom