• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL R16 2nd Leg | Arsenal (1) v Bayern (5) | March 7 19:45 GMT | BT Sport

What will be the result of this match?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
So how bad was the defeat?

• The 10-2 aggregate defeat is the worst suffered by an English side in the Champions League.
  • It was Arsenal's biggest home loss since November 1998 (5-0 against Chelsea in the League Cup).
  • Only one Champions League tie has seen a greater margin of victory for a team - Bayern Munich v Sporting Lisbon (12-1, 2009).
  • Only Barcelona (27 against Celtic) have scored more Champions League goals against a single opponent than Bayern have against Arsenal (26).
http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/38970...ayern&&ns_fee=0#post_58bfa966e4b0ec68546e34aa

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
No article yet from our club about appointing a referee being questioned in his country about match fixing

karl

I really don't mind the actual score on the night. Better to lose 5-1 than peter out to a 2-1 loss without giving it a go. It is completely understandable how they lost heart when Lewandowski pushed Koscielny and jumped to the ground theatrically. Another clear call for a video ref in the stand if I ever saw one.

The bigger problem for me is why they cannot play like the first half for the rest of the season. The team only ever really get stick in when crisis hits and generally lack professionalism for me.

Enfield

Established Member
Can we all please get a grip. We were up 1-0 when the penalty came, and lets not pretend that we wouldn't have been calling for a penalty if the shoe was on the other foot.

It was a penalty. End of.

We then decided to not bother any more and allowed a world class outfit come at us at will, thats down to the players and no one else. They are grown men on the pitch, they are responsible for their own attitude. No one else, just them and their pride and conscience to guide them

Then Wenger brings on Coquelin, the fact that he was even on the bench means that Wenger has no implicated himself in last nights mess. He also protected his players last night like he is some superior moral being. Maybe he needs to start subtly calling them out, if they won't accept it themselves that they are devoid of any intestinal constitution then the rest of us need to start that conversation.

If, as I hope, we get a new manager in the summer his first job will probably be to replace Sanchez. How is any new manager supposed to get a world class attacker to the club when the best he can hope for is 55 mins of support once every 3 weeks.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
We went s**t after the referee ruined the game we outplayed Bayern Munich before the red.
What absolute rubbish! We were competing, I'll give you that. But they were always in the match. After 50 minutes we only had 1 goal. The crumble was bound to happen as the pressure mounted. Even if the Ref had been on our side we'd still have lost.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
HIs subs last night made no sense. No sense whatsoever. I just can't understand it, why couldn't we defend and maintain the score since the tie was lost? Why couldn't we at least maintain dignity?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
What absolute rubbish! We were competing, I'll give you that. But they were always in the match. After 50 minutes we only had 1 goal. The crumble was bound to happen as the pressure mounted. Even if the Ref had been on our side we'd still have lost.
No we would not we were in mood we were pressing them high force them to make mistakes I was even surprised how well we was playing it's just shame the red card happen it was so enjoyable game.

Preacher

Always Crying
Arjen Robben has called on his Bayern Munich team-mates to improve - despite their 5-1 thrashing of Arsenal at the Emirates on Tuesday night.

The Dutchman was on the scoresheet as Carlo Ancelotti's men repeated the beating they handed to the Gunners three weeks ago in Munich to progress to the quarter-finals of the Champions League with a 10-2 aggregate win.

'The first half was not good,' he told BT Sport. 'We spoke about it before the game. We knew what was going to happen - they were going to push

'But we were sleeping. For second balls we were not there. In the quarter-finals we have to improve

We looked good for ~50min, but everyone could see, that Bayern didn't get out of first gear, they didn't need to. We need to look at overall context before judging our first half performance objectively.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
No we would not we were in mood we were pressing them high force them to make mistakes I was even surprised how well we was playing it's just shame the red card happen it was so enjoyable game.
You're absolutely delusional if you think we even stood a chance after the 1st leg. Come man. Wake up! We were good but we were nowhere near good enough to go through.

ferrarif50hunt

Established Member
- Walcott's stonewall penalty not given at 1-0.
- Vidal's knee high, studs up challenge on Alexis that should have seen red but went unpunished.
- Lewandowski was offside in the run up to their penalty.
- Penalty decision was super soft as Lewandowski pushed off of Koscielny, contact certainly wasn't enough to make him fall down.
- The new double jeopardy rule obviously doesn't apply to us, the ref gave a yellow and for some reason that extra official told him to give a red.
- Another of Bayern's goals were offside.

Even that moment where Lewandowski was about 5 yards offside and chasing the ball and Ospina starts coming out to intercept, RL realises he's offside and leaves the ball for Robben... how can that not be considered interfering with play? He's literally made the goalkeeper come 20 yards from his goal to tackle him, if that's not interfering then I don't know what is. Nothing came of it in the end but still.

We put in a great performance in the first half, fantastic stuff. But what can you do when all of the above goes against you? I just cannot see how anyone can blame Wenger for the manner of the defeat on the night. The players saw all of that going against them, knew there was no chance and just gave up. They have to take the blame for that, not just Wenger.

Yes, blame him for losing the first leg 5-1, but everyone knew we weren't winning 4-0 last night. It was all about just winning on the night to restore some pride and confidence, and we were well on our way to doing that until UEFA decided otherwise.

Shafiq

As a Liverpool fan, yes I also knew its like "almost" impossible for Arsenal to win 4-0 last night. But I really really hope its only the penalty, not a red card. Seemed like a match-fixing thing, involved lots of money this inbred reffing.
Can you imagine the second 45 minutes you all were playing with full 11 men, thats enjoyable, confidence display, and fair-playing match.
10 men against the f**kin multi-level talented Bayern, dude its like there is a lightning strike of evil pitchfork from hell, on my Willie.

sammy89

For those blaming the ref, I remember when Inter were given a red card for that infamous Busquets dive and wink:

After that, Inter were only one goal away from elimination, and 10 men down to one of the best club sides of all time. But Mourinho managed to get them to shut up the shop. That's the sort of mentality and tactical maturity we need at the club. There's no excuse for throwing away the game after a bad decision, especially those last 3 goals are unforgivable for me

R

=reed=

Can't believe somebody thinks we were knocked out of the CL because of the ref :lol:
Bayern needed only one goal to put us to bed ffs.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Saying the ref ruined yesterday's match doesn't mean people think he's the reason for going out of the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom