• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Arsenal v Leicester City | 11/08/17 19:45 BST | Sky Sports

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,954
  • Views 185,260

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Welcome to the forum, mate.

Shakespeare and his staff definitely did a great job in their preparation for the game. He clearly had analysed our set piece tendencies as we often leave ourselves vulnerable at the back post and you guys took full advantage of that. We also struggle with runs from deeper positions and Vardy did this on your third. I can't help but feel both of these corners were intentional and targeted at us specifically.

Moreover, your lads did a fantastic job at nullifying Xhaka when we were probing in and around your box by always ensuring that there were a circle of players around him in close proximity. We struggled to move the ball into the centre and were forced down the lines which often resulted in easy clearances for your defence from aimless Arsenal crosses.

I feel you lacked work rate in the centre area when Matty James went off and this opened up Xhaka to ping balls from deep, which actually resulted in our 3rd goal off the corner.

Your team played well and you've a lot to be proud of. Hope you take points off the other big clubs because you're well capable of it on your day. All the best.
What set piece tendencies? What are you watching?

Our set pieces defending is the best in the league. Last year we only conceded six goals, the fewest of all the teams. Teams like Leicester, Hull, Southampton and Crystal Palace were conceding three times that. Even Liverpool conceded twice ours.

The year before we were second best. Bould does a superb job of setting up our team using the zonal system. The only reason they got a sniff last night was because we had some makeshift guys in there.

Also they did not have a night of easy clearances. We had 27 attempts on goal of which 10 were on target. In fact it was our finishing that let us down. It should have at least 5 goals with those stats.

If we'd had our centre backs in place it would have been a drubbing. Holding would have been calmer and not giving the ball away and Kos would have handled Vardy.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It looked like Welbeck didn't expect the pass from Kola. Genuinely caught him off guard. I can laugh now but if he ****ed it up i dunno what i'd have done.

Anyway here it is:

You got the Lacazette and Giroud goals with the French commentary mate?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Not sure if you're serious or not but stats really? As an Arsenal fan, I thought you'd know better by now.Yeah we could've scored more goals, I said that here myself, but we were being cut open at will inside the first 30 minutes, at home. After all these years we were still caught out by a near post run from a corner. Same fvcking problems over and over.
They only had 3 attempts on target and scored all three. That is incredibly unusual and very lucky for a team to get 100% like thst and it was probably down to our makeshift defence. We had three times that number on target and 16 near misses. Despite their luck, we won that game by sheer will and fight.

We are very rarely caught out by near post goals from corners. Where are getting this stuff from? We have the best set piece record in the Premier league.

Your seeing things in your mind that aren't real :lol:

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

What set piece tendencies? What are you watching?

Our set pieces defending is the best in the league. Last year we only conceded six goals, the fewest of all the teams. Teams like Leicester, Hull, Southampton and Crystal Palace were conceding three times that. Even Liverpool conceded twice ours.

The year before we were second best. Bould does a superb job of setting up our team using the zonal system. The only reason they got a sniff last night was because we had some makeshift guys in there.

Also they did not have a night of easy clearances. We had 27 attempts on goal of which 10 were on target. In fact it was our finishing that let us down. It should have at least 5 goals with those stats.

If we'd had our centre backs in place it would have been a drubbing. Holding would have been calmer and not giving the ball away and Kos would have handled Vardy.

Glad someone remembered Trax . Work to do for sure but a makeshift back 3 is vulnerable to set pieces .

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

For whatever reason, we completely disregard aerial proficiency when composing a squad or starting XI. 90% of premier league teams will play direct, counter attacking football looking for knock-downs, flick one and advantages from dead ball situations. 50/50s are decisive in creating clear cut openings.

We haven't ever looked to proactively address this imbalance, but instead to just fortify our own attacking game when already in possession in the hope it will eventually be enough. We'll scrape wins and go on runs here and there but the reason our underlyung confidence is so fragile is because psychologically we fear conceding goals.

Wenger's belief in attacking and defence being a trade off as opposed to defence forming the bedrock of a consistent, effective attack is the what lies behind our reputation for mid season collapses and disastrous away form against top sides. It's imperative we seek to improve this area rather than simply wait for players to return who themselves are prone to bouts of rash defending and lack appropriate leadership skills.

Let's hope in the remain 3 weeks of the window and on the training pitch we get this sorted.
Klopp. Wenger and Pep all believe that pocession and attack is the best philosophy. They make for entertaining games and exciting football. They are best three teams in the league to watch and long may it continue.

Mourinho and rest of the bus parkers can keep the **** away from Arsenal.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We were vulnerable with two LB's at CB and someone still relatively inexperienced? No ****ing ****. :lol:

Once Koscielny is back and to a lesser extent maybe Mertesacker and Mustafi the 3 at the back will begin to look solid again.

Lacaz1fan

Morning after...
1. The defense is not as bad as it is being made out. Next week, we will have a back three of BFG, Mustafi and Monreal. That should do.
Holding got many things wrong and that spread quickly to the team.
2. Going forward, we transition very quickly from defence to attack. When Alexis comes in for Welbz, then we will be devastating.
3. Özil was disappointing yesterday. He could surely do better.
4. Kolasinac will be in the team of the season if the pundits can somehow swallow their arsenal hate.
5. Wenger's tactics won us the game. He at least deserves credit for that.

Tir Na Nog

I'd much prefer games like these and wins like last night to boring 1-0 victories, it's the same thing but at least you get your moneys worth.

We dug in deep and got the 3 points which was the most important thing because we were in a difficult situation and got ourselves out of it.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

We were vulnerable with two LB's at CB and someone still relatively inexperienced? No ****ing ****. :lol:

Once Koscielny is back and to a lesser extent maybe Mertesacker and Mustafi the 3 at the back will begin to look solid again.
Great game last night mate. Sliced them apart 27 times. Bodes very well for the future. Alexis wasn't even playing. :lol: Laca, Laca,Laca.

BobP

Memri Fan
I'd much prefer games like these and wins like last night to boring 1-0 victories, it's the same thing but at least you get your moneys worth.

We dug in deep and got the 3 points which was the most important thing because we were in a difficult situation and got ourselves out of it.

Really? I've never really seen a team, at least in England, blast its way to the title whilst having a leaky defence.

On the other hand, I've seen teams win the league with a tight defence and by snatching a goal here and there.

Tir Na Nog

Really? I've never really seen a team, at least in England, blast its way to the title whilst having a leaky defence.

On the other hand, I've seen teams win the league with a tight defence and by snatching a goal here and there.

City in 2014 is the example I can think of off the top of my head. Anyways once we get some actual CB's back we'll tighten up a bit. I doubt we're winning the title though, not that I ever expected to.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Morning after...
1. The defense is not as bad as it is being made out. Next week, we will have a back three of BFG, Mustafi and Monreal. That should do.
Holding got many things wrong and that spread quickly to the team.
2. Going forward, we transition very quickly from defence to attack. When Alexis comes in for Welbz, then we will be devastating.
3. Özil was disappointing yesterday. He could surely do better.
4. Kolasinac will be in the team of the season if the pundits can somehow swallow their arsenal hate.
5. Wenger's tactics won us the game. He at least deserves credit for that.
Good opening post mate. Nice and positive.

Wenger took an incredibly brave gamble switching Ox, taking off a CB and posters were calling it a shambles. But it took the game by the scruff of the neck and produced a win.

Arsène knows best.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Such a wonderful feeling to wake up and remember arsenal won yesterday and you will have to watch the rivals and laugh at them if they lose

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
They only had 3 attempts on target and scored all three. That is incredibly unusual and very lucky for a team to get 100% like thst and it was probably down to our makeshift defence. We had three times that number on target and 16 near misses. Despite their luck, we won that game by sheer will and fight.

We are very rarely caught out by near post goals from corners. Where are getting this stuff from? We have the best set piece record in the Premier league.

Your seeing things in your mind that aren't real :lol:
I think you're too hung up on stats. Shots on target isn't the be all and end all of judging a team's performance. For example that incident when Cech rushed out of his line to tackle vardy, that won't show up on the stats but that could easily have led to a goal. And going by your logic despite having 27 attempts we only had 6 of them on target and scored 4. So how is that a lot better than Leicester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom