• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Arsenal v Leicester City | 11/08/17 19:45 BST | Sky Sports

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,954
  • Views 185,509

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
an exciting thriller of game, but the positive will paper over alot of deficiencies especially from a defensive positional sense and lack of leadership and organisation.

koscielny makes a major difference to the defence

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
This place was disgusting when it was 3:2.
Player A is ****, Player B is ****, Player C...
Wenger out...
We need to buy x more players...
4 CBs out but we need to buy some...

Pathetic bunch of absolute human garbage.
It is unbearable what you have to read on here at times.
Football really is the sport for the lower/dumb class.

Of course not all behave like that, but i would say at least 75%...

Absolutely disgusting...

And comments like that are helpful, are they? Calling people garbage for saying things in the heat of the moment is completely stupid. I don't condone everything said here but it's only a forum, ffs.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
This place was disgusting when it was 3:2.
Player A is ****, Player B is ****, Player C...
Wenger out...
We need to buy x more players...
4 CBs out but we need to buy some...

Pathetic bunch of absolute human garbage.
It is unbearable what you have to read on here at times.
Football really is the sport for the lower/dumb class.

Of course not all behave like that, but i would say at least 75%...

Absolutely disgusting...
Your should get back to mowing your lawn, your neighbours's dog just took a dump on your peonies, and the cat just weed on your welcome mat.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

What set piece tendencies? What are you watching?

Our set pieces defending is the best in the league. Last year we only conceded six goals, the fewest of all the teams. Teams like Leicester, Hull, Southampton and Crystal Palace were conceding three times that. Even Liverpool conceded twice ours.

The year before we were second best. Bould does a superb job of setting up our team using the zonal system. The only reason they got a sniff last night was because we had some makeshift guys in there.

Also they did not have a night of easy clearances. We had 27 attempts on goal of which 10 were on target. In fact it was our finishing that let us down. It should have at least 5 goals with those stats.

If we'd had our centre backs in place it would have been a drubbing. Holding would have been calmer and not giving the ball away and Kos would have handled Vardy.

We normally focus our defensive stance on the front post and centre of the box because that is where the majority of opposition crosses go. That's good when it works but we are definitely vulnerable to deep floated balls and just because we haven't paid for it as much as we should doesn't mean it's not true.

And yes, they did flood the middle and force us down the wings which normally is how to beat us but thankfully our attack was dynamic. The only goal we got through the middle was the 2nd and it was a tad lucky after Morgan had heavily marked Lacazette. Maybe you're misunderstanding the difference between packing the centre when a team is defending and packing the centre in general.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We normally focus our defensive stance on the front post and centre of the box because that is where the majority of opposition crosses go. That's good when it works but we are definitely vulnerable to deep floated balls and just because we haven't paid for it as much as we should doesn't mean it's not true.

And yes, they did flood the middle and force us down the wings which normally is how to beat us but thankfully our attack was dynamic. The only goal we got through the middle was the 2nd and it was a tad lucky after Morgan had heavily marked Lacazette. Maybe you're misunderstanding the difference between packing the centre when a team is defending and packing the centre in general.
Bould does a really good job of our zonal defending.

Every imaginary square in the box is covered by a defender. That's how it works. Our best CBs usually take the squares where corners most often arrive. There's no statistical evidence that it's any worse than man marking, even though Carragher and Neville always lampoon it. And if we only concentrated on the centre of the box and the near post we'd be ****ed.

But it does entail everybody knowing exactly what they're doing. Endless drills. Which is what makes me laugh when people say our defence is badly coached. Is it ****. We conceded the fewest goals from set pieces last year and in recent years we've been near the top of that stat. Last night was a problem because of the big change in personnel. Not blaming Bould for that.

Vis a vis attack, it doesn't matter if they force us wide, the wing backs can either cross or recycle it behind again. Eventually the forwards get in behind and we make an incisive pass, or play Wengerball to get through. Last night our attack was superb. We cut them open numerous times and they struggled badly. 27 shots on goal tells its own story. All that without Sanchez. Many positives. :lol:

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
What a game...
Will rewatch it 2 more times before Stoke..

I'll start with negatives. 2 out of 3 goals should have been stopped easily by Cech. Jens better goes at him this week on training ground. I believe we're gonna see better Pete this season than last, but that was a poor start. He better shows his beat as soon as next game.
3 out of 3 goals would probably be dealth with much better if we had at least one of our Cb's playing yesterday (Per, Lolo, Mustafi, Gabriel).
One of those 3 was also a bad pass by Xhaka. All that is more fixable then if we conceeded by being overplayed...
So, even though that shouldn't happen like that, I can live with it.

Reason why I can live with it is because our offense was great. At times it really did look like our best football from those Roaicky/Hleb years:)

Özil was bad, needs to concentrate more. Holding also, but its easier to forgive him.
Elneny is getting stick again but he did well. I really liked him once again, and unlike most of the posters, I am aware of his qualities. I dont expect Giroud to oversprint defendera, or Özil to outjump his markers. I dokt expect Elneny to make wonder passes out of nowhere or be a constant threat when we nees a goal. He did his job nicely, and its great to see him going up. Once we needed to really go for a goal, it was obvious to take him out. I'll give him even more praise just for that full sprint to get out when being substituted.
Xhaka ended with 2 crucial assists and some sick passes. His right foot is a thing of beuaty also. But yeah, he did struggle for some parts of the game. That mistake for their 2nd played into his head obviously. Way to come back later on.

Lacaczette did very well again. Wont even talk about his first goal, but his movements, defending, his touch and ideas, crosses and constant danger really impressed. He'll only get more comfortable, and there's plenty to look forward to. Crucial for our play to have such a striker.
Big praise for Welbeck. He did fantastic.
Movement, holding the ball, some insane passing and one two pass football. Well deserved that goal wich wasnt as easy as it looked but he did great. Deserved That Dennis style assist but Hectot couldnt score. Stay healthy Danny boy!

Cant wait to see Oxlade and Kolasinac on wingbacks. such power, pace, aggression and constant danger coming from them. Amazing to watch.
Am glad Bellerin was moved left so soon in the season, making us know he (Boss) will do it again. hs is not a 'hig the line' fullback, but playing in this system it seams like when on the righ, he'll always be on the byline. Moving him to left at times could unleash more of him, as he has really nice touch and technique, I can see him score few goals from the left.

Stat healthy Aaron, your 'purple patch' is knocking on the door... and for the end, little bit of love for the legend, Olivier.

So happy he is staying, so happy he made the right decission, to stay and become one of the fan favorites for a long time, cause he will only get more and more appreciated. He deserves it, and no doubt he will become something like a legend here.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
As I mentioned, the lane to Holding was cut by Okazaki.

Furthermore, something I was taught growing up and playing football is that you play the way you face, especially in potentially compromising situations, that is the back-half. Xhaka did just that. IMO, you can't really fault him because there was literally nowhere he could have gone in the 1 or 2 seconds he had the ball, besides just booting it long and hard which in hindsight looks like a good option.

I agree with your other 2 points.

If anything it was a really dumb pass from elneny who put xhaka in a difficult position. Just goes to show how useless he was for us.

But still, xhaka was targeted from get go as Shakespeare new quite well that he's central to our game. I lost count of how many times he messed up a simple pass, trying one touch passes where such a risk wasn't justified.and his over Reliance on his left is still obvious, although he made several passes with his right, plus has learned to use his outside left.

That on top of the several times he lost aerial battles, including the one to okazaki who is a had shorter than him.

Xhaka is great on his day, but he has obvious limitations which can be exploited unless he's paired with a complementary cm. Although Ramsey helped save the game, I'm but sure if he's one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom