• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal's Overrated and Underrated?

Aevi

Hale End FC
Simple, what players do you feel get too much praise, and what players deserve more?

I'll start:

Overrated: Welbeck. I don't think that many people overrate him tbf, but now that he's not our only alternative to static Giroud I'm realizing just how poor of a footballer he is. He's an unreliable finisher, and imo very poor in possession. Some people seem to think he's got great build-up play but I couldn't disagree more, I feel he's almost Coquelin-level.

Underrated: Ramsey. He's having a great season and I'm surprised to see people still so negative about him. Beyond his goals and assists he's been very involved in all aspects of our play and done his job brilliantly, I hope he's back firing soon. Even before this season I often felt he got unnecessary stick, even if he was frustrating.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Nice topic.

Overrated:
AFC: We are not title contenders. There is $ity then Utd, then Chelski. Then probably AFC and LFC at the same rung.

Ramsey:
midfield hopes in the hands of a crock. 3 good seasons in 9. Misses a truckload of chances.

Alexis-Özil: Did get us off the floor, but couldn't take us to another level. RvP had a bigger impact on our fortunes.

Underrated:

Wenger:
He knows he cannot win the league anymore.He's doing his job and meeting his targets.

Bellerin: He is a formidable threat, even if he doesn't score/assist so much. Makes a lot of crucial clearances.

Edit: It is about players! But ill leave Wenger in the list.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Overrated:

Ramsey: Spends an unforgivable amount of time out of position up top for someone who can't realiable score. He's in his prime now and has completely stagnated for years at this point. He's living off a ridiculous purple patch. I could name 10 midfielders off the top of my head that would both be attainable and capable of doing his job at an equal or better level. I genuinely believe he's the catalyst for so many of your problems. Doesn't mean he's a bad player -- he'd likely be one of our top players -- but he's simply not good enough to feature in a team hoping to push for big trophies.

Cech: I was down on him when you signed him and he hasn't done anything to improve my opinion of him. Completely miscast as the last bastion of defense in a high-pressing system, rooted to his line 95% of the time and simply just a poor man's Van Der Sar at this point. He's simply decent. It still baffles me that you sold a better keeper to keep Cech in goal. One of Wenger's biggest blunders transfer wise, honestly.

Underrated:

Özil:
Has become the scapegoat for many of your struggles, especially defensively. Still one of the best playmakers in football, but he needs proper coaching to be effective. It's difficult to blame someone reliant on providing the final ball to shine for not doing the business when he's been surrounded with a mix of ass, chaos and lethargy. If he walks to Manchester on a free this summer, you'll see him return to his Real Madrid status as an undeniable world class player, guaranteed.

Xhaka: You ever played Football Manager? Xhaka is the type of player that has 18 passing,, 18 aggression, 16 vision, and 11 in literally everything else. You bought a player who excels at one specific thing, and expected him to suddenly turn into a great holding midfielder. A player who has always relied on a disciplined energetic partner in midfield to be effective, and you partnered him with Frank Lampard's disowned mentally challenged nephew. Xhaka is not a bad player, but he's been put into a situation where he simply cannot win, and it's not his fault. It'd be like tasking a Honduran prostitute with not getting sexually assaulted and then sending him on a blind date with @GDeep™ . Some players just have their limits.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Only took two posts for Ramsey to be called both overrated and underrated, impressive stuff.

I'll go ahead and say people are way too harsh on some of our younger players. These days it seems like you're either a wonderkid or utter garbage, with nothing in between.

Players like Bellerin, Iwobi and even Mustafi have plenty of time left to iron out the kinks, I'd hate for us to get rid of them now. Are they costing us points? Could we do better? Probably, but with us already facing a rebuild next summer, you'd think young players with plenty of room for improvement are far from our biggest problem right now.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Only took two posts for Ramsey to be called both overrated and underrated, impressive stuff.

I'll go ahead and say people are way too harsh on some of our younger players. These days it seems like you're either a wonderkid or utter garbage, with nothing in between.

Players like Bellerin, Iwobi and even Mustafi have plenty of time left to iron out the kinks, I'd hate for us to get rid of them now. Are they costing us points? Could we do better? Probably, but with us already facing a rebuild next summer, you'd think young players with plenty of room for improvement are far from our biggest problem right now.

I'd probably put Bellerin in the underrated section tbh. Still one of the best young FBs in the world with plenty of room to grow. I was surprised to see how many people have turned on him.

In fairness, this thread could be seen in two different contexts: Over- or underrated on here/by Arsenal fans, or by the media and football fans in general.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Koscielny is very overrated. We always go on like he's the best CB in the league but he's way too accident prone and erratic, played his best football next to Per other than that he's always good for a **** up or 2 every match.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Overrated:

Nacho Monreal, horrible positioning, bad one-on-one defender, weak in the air.

Underrated:

Granit Xhaka, horribly out of form and low in confidence right now but that’s how he started in the Bundesliga too until he became a leader, a captain and best player in his position in the league. He will do the same here.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
I'd probably put Bellerin in the underrated section tbh. Still one of the best young FBs in the world with plenty of room to grow. I was surprised to see how many people have turned on him.

Agreed. I can't believe people are so willing to write off a young defender who has a history of performing on the biggest stage and who not long ago was coveted by some of the biggest clubs in the world. It's not like the market is overflowing with quality fullbacks either. Hell, even the two Manchester clubs have mostly played midfielders at fullback this season.

Bellerin has issues with fatigue and confidence, but then he's still young and hasn't had a proper break in 18 months. Don't think three at the back suits him either, even though on paper it should.

marting

Overrated
Wenger - Living on his success from the early days, He cant even maintain a team that play good football anymore.

Bellerin - If your a wing back that cant cross, Cant assist, cant hit the by line or even take a man on.....then your a pretty rubbish wing back and AT THE MOMENT he is exactly that. i would honestly say AMN had a better game yesterday and looked more dangerous.

Underrrated
Wenger - He can at times when our back our up against a wall be tactically very smart like the games against Chelsea or City a few years back....Unfortunatly he only sees the need to do this when we are in the worse of positions.

Transfer activity - Its underrated how bad we are at this. Going into a season without a natural winger in the squad is just awful, Who even was our last actual winger? No Alexis, Iwobi, Welbeck Theo or the Ox are not wingers.

Contracts - Same as above, We are all sitting here in disbelieve above Özil and Alexis...Im pretty sure that in the summer of 2019 people like Ramsey are out of contract...why isnt this being sorted now?

Giroud - His great at what he does, Linking play, heading, holding up the ball. His always going to be "static" his never going to transform into this lacca, Aguero, suarez type player. just look at it very basically - We are playing a target man and no one who wants/can cross!

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Simple, what players do you feel get too much praise, and what players deserve more?

I'll start:

Overrated: Welbeck. I don't think that many people overrate him tbf, but now that he's not our only alternative to static Giroud I'm realizing just how poor of a footballer he is. He's an unreliable finisher, and imo very poor in possession. Some people seem to think he's got great build-up play but I couldn't disagree more, I feel he's almost Coquelin-level.

Underrated: Ramsey. He's having a great season and I'm surprised to see people still so negative about him. Beyond his goals and assists he's been very involved in all aspects of our play and done his job brilliantly, I hope he's back firing soon. Even before this season I often felt he got unnecessary stick, even if he was frustrating.
You mean by AM posters? Oh, this is easy. 3 seasons on here has given me the perfect insight.

After failing to score against West Ham last night, Giroud, Welbeck and Sanchez will be absolute garbage today.

And making at least one mistake each, Kos and Monreal who have been amongst our most reliable players for several seasons will be useless cripples. :lol:

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Said it in the summer, Monreal and Cech are garbage, and Kos is in decline.

Always right.

I have respect for all 3 but none should be starting at the club next season. You'd love them in your squad still but starting every week is just mad.

But in the context of this thread I'm not sure they are overrated. They've all had their share of criticism.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

I agree with you here. We're not City, we simply can't buy a new player every time a current one isn't performing. That being said, it's worrying when our young players don't seem to be kicking on.

Surely the only thing more frustrating than having bad players is having good ones who aren't being coached properly.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Surely the only thing more frustrating than having bad players is having good ones who aren't being coached properly.
Jeez, who are you blaming, Gatting, Ampadu, Bumstead, Lincoln or Copley . . . or are they all sh*t? :lol:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Jeez, who are you blaming, Gatting, Ampadu, Bumstead, Lincoln or Copley . . . or are they all sh*t? :lol:

You've misunderstood me there. I'm not blaming our youth coaches, obviously. I'm saying we have young players in the senior squad who aren't being coached properly. Hence the blame would be on the senior coaches, and specifically the manager.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

You've misunderstood me there. I'm not blaming our youth coaches, obviously. I'm saying we have young players in the senior squad who aren't being coached properly. Hence the blame would be on the senior coaches, and specifically the manager.
:lol: Just joshing with you bro.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom