• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | North London Derby (Home) | Saturday, 10th of February at 12:30 (GMT) | BT Sport

What result do you predict?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I watch it and I just don't see an easy chance there, if he dinks the keeper I'm applauding the finish. If he goes through the keeper's legs I'm again applauding his creativity. If he goes outside of the foot and curls it towards the far post that's even more impressive than the previous two combined.

I just don't see how he scores this without receiving praise for a top class finish. That's why I don't think it was a 'high percentage' chance.
you just need this sometimes:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think some people are missing the point. I genuinely believe the major issue yesterday was tactical.

We went there with a formation Wenger doesn't understand and a team who did not know their jobs. It is also a system that requires specific players for certain roles.

The 4 3 3 needs to dominate the opposition. You either play it like Chelsea did with Makelele, Essien, Lampard and Drogba in a physical game. Or you can play it like Barcelona used to with technical players everywhere or like City with a two wingers and creators in midfield.

The key aspect is you dominate the midfield and Wenger's selection mad no sense. We took our two playmakers and asked them to mark the opposition full backs and stay in their position. Is it therefore a surprise they didn't stop the cross? We then had no ball winner in midfield, no mobility and no creative midfielders . It was basically Wilshere vs the Sp**s midfield. If our game plan was going to be to defend then there was no point playing Özil and MhikI. Playing them there in the hope they can make something happen on a counter is ridiculous. They are more likely to fall asleep defensively than create from a a deep wide position with no midfield options bar Wilshere.

We don't have the players to play a 4 3'3. We are geared towards a 4231.

---------------------------Auba
Iwobi-------------------Özil--------------Mhiki
----------------Wilshere----AMN

That's how I believe we should be lining up for the rest of the season.

You match Sp**s up and let the game be decided on the front 3 that can create the most space.match Dembele with AMN leaving Jack to handle Dier in a mismatch.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
It would have been so so sweet commit daylight robbery and grab that draw at the end. Every sitter they missed I’m sure I wasnt the only one thinking we might nick something.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Atmophere was a bit sterile for Derby. Been creeping in to football slowly. The only tiny throwback was Wilshere / Lamela

Maybe they call it progress, I don’t like it. I don’t think any players care anymore, they are just paid too much.

You don’t have to go back that far when you could actually chew the bile in the atmosphere in a NLD. Fighting in a tunnel before the game like Vieira & Keane is now a curiosity that future generations of fans will ponder and scratch their heads at.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
God. I can't bring myself to look at the back pages or twitter after this match.

I need Wenger to go for my sanity.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

I think some people are missing the point. I genuinely believe the major issue yesterday was tactical.

We went there with a formation Wenger doesn't understand and a team who did not know their jobs. It is also a system that requires specific players for certain roles.

The 4 3 3 needs to dominate the opposition. You either play it like Chelsea did with Makelele, Essien, Lampard and Drogba in a physical game. Or you can play it like Barcelona used to with technical players everywhere or like City with a two wingers and creators in midfield.

The key aspect is you dominate the midfield and Wenger's selection mad no sense. We took our two playmakers and asked them to mark the opposition full backs and stay in their position. Is it therefore a surprise they didn't stop the cross? We then had no ball winner in midfield, no mobility and no creative midfielders . It was basically Wilshere vs the Sp**s midfield. If our game plan was going to be to defend then there was no point playing Özil and MhikI. Playing them there in the hope they can make something happen on a counter is ridiculous. They are more likely to fall asleep defensively than create from a a deep wide position with no midfield options bar Wilshere.

You match Sp**s up and let the game be decided on the front 3 that can create the most space.match Dembele with AMN leaving Jack to handle Dier in a mismatch.

Good post but can I say Özil and Miki had about 2 absolutely superb chances each to play killer counter-attack balls in the first half and screwed it up. The pundits would be calling it Wengers tactical masterclass if those lead to goals. That’s football.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Good post but can I say Özil and Miki had about 2 absolutely superb chances each to play killer counter-attack balls in the first half and screwed it up. The pundits would be calling it Wengers tactical masterclass if those lead to goals.

That's the problem though. Even if they made the right pass there is still a likelihood that we could miss them.

It's Wenger's flaw that he ignores the defensive side of the game to the extent that when he reflects he looks at chances we should have taken in order to change the game. 2 chances isn't enough for us to score and win a game. We created nothing and even in games where we somehow manage to take a chance and go 1 goal up we can still throw it away.

We need to focus on two things. Playing our best players in a way we have freedom which requires us to commit men forward. We then need to think about what happens if we lose the ball? We recover. But how do you recover with a midfield of Xhaka, Wilshere and elneny. You don't. You need an AMN in there.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

That's the problem though. Even if they made the right pass there is still a likelihood that we could miss them.

It's Wenger's flaw that he ignores the defensive side of the game to the extent that when he reflects he looks at chances we should have taken in order to change the game. 2 chances isn't enough for us to score and win a game. We created nothing and even in games where we somehow manage to take a chance and go 1 goal up we can still throw it away.

We need to focus on two things. Playing our best players in a way we have freedom which requires us to commit men forward. We then need to think about what happens if we lose the ball? We recover. But how do you recover with a midfield of Xhaka, Wilshere and elneny. You don't. You need an AMN in there.

Mate. The only people who don’t seem to know Wenger is done is the AFC board. Even squad cost desciples will begrudgingly accept his time is up if you push em.

Tom349

You're missing the entire point of the way we set up yesterday. We set up to limit Sp**s opportunities while having to capitalise on our own. In the first half we managed to successfully do one of those two things and had it not been for a poor decision from the linesman and wastefulness from Özil and Myki then we most likely would have successfully done both. If we manage to score the first goal yesterday then the game plays out completely differently. We force Sp**s to commit men forward and in turn the likes of Özil, Myki and PEA get more counter attacking opportunities but as it turned out we conceded first and Sp**s were the ones who were able to capitalise on us committing men forward.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are

The 433 formations of Guardiola and Mourinho you mention all had proper wingers to stretch the pitch and threaten in behind, Duff and Robben, Sane and Sterling, Pedro, Malouda etc
As you say we don't have any natural wide players, if we were going to use 433 we may as well have kept hold of Walcott as he was the closest thing we had and it would have suited him far better than 4231 did.

Having said that I don't think 4231 would have made the slightest bit of difference yesterday, we still would have been bullied and we still would have created very little.
Agree on the midfield as well, with the exception of a fit and sharp Wilshere none of them particularly offer anything, they're not good when pressured, they're not big, they're not strong , there're not fast covering ground and they don't like defending.

With what we have I would go between the two formations with a sort of 4321, something like this:

e0JIee8.png

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Agree on the midfield as well, with the exception of a fit and sharp Wilshere none of them particularly offer anything, they're not good when pressured, they're not big, they're not strong , there're not fast covering ground and they don't like defending.
This is our problem in a nutshell. And has been for a few years.

The best teams have well oiled solid midfields that are injury free. Defence and attack rely on them in order to function properly. You think of Kante and Drinkwater for Leicester and Kantic and Matic for Chelsea.

Our best midfield players by a mile are Wilshere, Ramsey and Cazorla . . look at their injury records ffs.

At the moment Xhaka is a waste of space. Elneny is a sticking plaster job.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
That's the formation we played yesterday, idiot. And it worked a ****ing treat, didn't it!

Assuming that is levelled at me it actually isn't the formation we played, Özil and Mkhitaryan clearly played very wide and not tucked in.

GdumU19.png

Also the midfield is different apart from Wilshere, not sure why the need for name-calling either, my post wasn't even intended for you (I have no idea who you are) it was a reply to someone else's post.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
After seeing that game yesterday and given our limited finances, I'd leave the defence alone next year and buy two top quality midfielders to play along side Jack/ Ramsey (whoever is fit).

Put AMN out on loan to a lower EPL club to get battle hardened. Sell Elneny and let Xhaka fight for a place. Release Cazorla.

Make a world of difference to this side.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
After seeing that game yesterday and given our limited finances, I'd leave the defence alone next year and buy two top quality midfielders to play along side Jack/ Ramsey (whoever is fit).

Put AMN out on loan to a lower EPL club to get battle hardened. Sell Elneny and let Xhaka fight for a place. Release Cazorla.

Make a world of difference to this side.

That's the issue with Wenger and his staff right now.
They've just spent £55M on a very good striker whereas we were badly in need for midfielders.

We're wasting our ressources by not adressing the main issue for the last few seasons: our midfield.

IMO we need to release either Ramsey or Wilshere because they're too injury prone and we can't rely on them.
As much as I rate Ramsey it has been a running gag for the last few years. When he comes back from injury he needs a few weeks to build his confidence and sharpness back. Then he plays 2 or 3 great games and gets injured again.

I know it's not a popular opinion here but we can't build a team around these 2 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom