• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEL SF 1st Leg: Arsenal v Atletico Madrid | April 26, 2018 20:05 BST | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

When we were 1-0 up, would anyone here had taken off someone like Wilshere and stuck on Nketiah?

It would have been a risk but at the time I was thinking we had the extra man advantage. If we're loading crosses into the box, why not give him a chance? After all this was the competition Rashford made a name for himself.

These are the type of risks I hope our new manager takes. For example, Zidane done it the other night even though they were winning away from home.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

After sleeping on it I’m not even disappointed in the performance. I’m just deflated. If anyone mentions Simeone as a manager candidate they can jog on. He plays anti-football. I don’t care if he is a serial winner that classless performance does not deserve the badge.

They played 80 mins with 10 men ffs. Still managed a draw. Simeone's teams do press high, unlike Mourinho sides. Being organised defensively doesn't mean you are anti-football - it means you are smart and almost certainly in the Europa League final.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
When we were 1-0 up, would anyone here had taken off someone like Wilshere and stuck on Nketiah?

It would have been a risk but at the time I was thinking we had the extra man advantage. If we're loading crosses into the box, why not give him a chance? After all this was the competition Rashford made a name for himself.

These are the type of risks I hope our new manager takes. For example, Zidane done it the other night even though they were winning away from home.

I posted it on this thread at half time. Nketiah is the type of player that has the natural instinct to be in the right place at the right time, that's partly why he scores so many goals. Wenger could have even made a double sub of Nketiah & Iwobi for Wilshere & Ramsey, that would have given our attack an injection at 1-0 to score another. I guess at the end of the day we drew because our defence do what they often do and messed up. Shame, we had AM on the ropes and should have scored more.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Wenger bottled it in that regard too. Sometimes when you've been somewhere so long you lose clarity when it comes decision making. This was definitely the case. Wenger not making any sub's showed that he wasn't sure what exactly to do.

I've noticed Arsène Wenger has been cautious in other games too. I remember there has been some games in the past where we have invited pressure from the opposition when we have a narrow lead by putting on a defender instead of throwing another attacker on to hit them on the break.

However, this was a different game. We had Atletico on the ropes and if made it 2-0, I'm sure their confidence would have been shot.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
Great game to watch. A true test of an attacking team versus a defensive one. Amazing football on view.

All set up nicely for the game in Madrid. All we have do is win a football match or draw it by scoring 2 goals or more. I wonder, why we expected the tie to be over in one match?

Even liverpool are ****ting their pants, despite scoring 5 goals. Ties are never over at this level in one leg. We had some good luck and some bad. We had some good play and some bad. Next leg, we will blow them away, and not give them any excuse to say that the ref robbed them.

All those taking this as a time to moan and complain, please remember, just like this match supposedly symbolised Arsène Wenger, your moaning in the middle of the tie symbolises your support.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
It's interesting to compare Arsenal to Atletico as clubs. Historically the two are about comparable, Arsenal have won more major trophies but they've done better in Europe. Both clubs are basically the 3rd most successful clubs in their countries, similar sized stadiums too. On the other hand Arsenal is a much richer and more stable club, our revenue is about twice that of Atletico I think? They were a bit of a financial basket case not too long ago. Arsenal also has a much bigger global fanbase I assume.

So you'd expect Arsenal to easily be able to compete with or outperform Atletico. However what we see on the pitch is so very different. Yesterday we saw a real bonafide Champions League team in Atletico. They're a much better team than us, let's be real. They've achieved that through recruitment and coaching. They're very well coached and they consistently recruit incredibly well (like seriously I have no idea how they keep bringing in such good strikers and goalkeepers).

It shows that we're in this position because we have been incredibly inefficient. We have wasted our resources and made very little of the quality we do have. It's dispiriting, but also encouraging in the sense that if this club can find a way, like other clubs have, to maximise their resources with good recruitment and good coaching, then the natural size of our club means that it will return to performing at the elite level in Europe. We're performing well below our capacity, we simply need to perform to our capacity, and hopefully above it.

The incomings of Mislintat and Sanllehi positively suggest we'll become more efficient in recruitment, it just remains to see who the new coach will be. That coach has to be able to galvanise the squad and get every last drop out of it. If those two things happen then in 2 or 3 seasons we may well be a Champions League team again.

GriezusChrist

Atletico happen to be my La Liga team. I originally took a likening to them as soon as Simeone had taken over, betting on Atletico Madrid home fixtures and both teams to score no is a great way to bolster an accumulator! Its very rare that I will even miss a game.

We should of been happy at 1-0 and just set out to counter throughout the 2nd half. Atleti are not good at breaking teams down, if you have watched them play mid table teams in La Liga you will know that they really struggle to get that opening goal when the opposition are sitting deep and letting them have possession. They are not coached to be a possession based side.

Going into the 2nd leg with a 1-0 advantage could of been huge but now this is a huge uphill task, I do believe we will score in Madrid and going 1-0 down is not the end of the world. The boys gave everything last night, I actually wish we had gone to 3 at the back as soon as they went down to 10 men with monreal being the lcb to provide a progressive overload on that side.

I feel so sorry for the boss right now because this was so unlucky, the fact Kosc messed up and it bounced straight back to Griezmann after his shot and Mustafi falling over you just couldn't write it.

Remember Atleti are doing this for El Nino (Torres) just as we are Wenger. We can do this COYG

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
I rather win than look good and lose
They played 80 mins with 10 men ffs. Still managed a draw. Simeone's teams do press high, unlike Mourinho sides. Being organised defensively doesn't mean you are anti-football - it means you are smart and almost certainly in the Europa League final.

In my mind there is a right way to win and given the opportunity which the club has I have no idea why anyone would want him as manager.

Also the way he reacted on the sideline was disgusting. The fact that you are comparing to Mourinho shows the bracket of manager we are talking about.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Great game to watch. A true test of an attacking team versus a defensive one. Amazing football on view.

All set up nicely for the game in Madrid. All we have do is win a football match or draw it by scoring 2 goals or more. I wonder, why we expected the tie to be over in one match?

Even liverpool are ****ting their pants, despite scoring 5 goals. Ties are never over at this level in one leg. We had some good luck and some bad. We had some good play and some bad. Next leg, we will blow them away, and not give them any excuse to say that the ref robbed them.

All those taking this as a time to moan and complain, please remember, just like this match supposedly symbolised Arséne Wenger, your moaning in the middle of the tie symbolises your support.

Obviously we can still win the 2nd leg and go to the final. The reason many are pissed is because once again we failed to win due to our own errors. We all knew before the game that the players had to focus for the whole game if we hoped to win, we didnt and got pegged back. It's frustrating so people have a moan, fair enough. Your final paragraph suggests that those who moan or complain are somehow less supportive, that's rubbish!

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Was it 2013 that we lost the first leg 3-1 to Bayern? No one gave us a chance in the second but we ended up winning 2-0 and going out only to away goals.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
Obviously we can still win the 2nd leg and go to the final. The reason many are pissed is because once again we failed to win due to our own errors. We all knew before the game that the players had to focus for the whole game if we hoped to win, we didnt and got pegged back. It's frustrating so people have a moan, fair enough. Your final paragraph suggests that those who moan or complain are somehow less supportive, that's rubbish!

how can you support and cheer while simultaneously moaning and complaining midway through the tie? just doesnt compute.

GriezusChrist

In my mind there is a right way to win and given the opportunity which the club has I have no idea why anyone would want him as manager.

Also the way he reacted on the sideline was disgusting. The fact that you are comparing to Mourinho shows the bracket of manager we are talking about.

Simeone has been at Atleti for 7 years, in that time they have won 1 x Europa League and La Liga and also moved stadiums. They have continued to be competitive this year and also the fans are united behind the team as one.

I do not think he is anything like Jose Mourinho as there is no cheque book, it is not all about him. He does not blame his players for everything and throw them under the boss after failing to park it. Ok he gets to passionate but the truth is his sending off motivated that Atleti team, and they new exactly what to do and how to play without him on the touchline.

Do you think the Arsenal fans would take to him?

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
All those taking this as a time to moan and complain, please remember, just like this match supposedly symbolised Arséne Wenger, your moaning in the middle of the tie symbolises your support.

Poetry in motion. Well said, Arsené-light.

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I thought our finishing was dreadful.
We has many more chances then what A.Madrid did.
We gift wrapped the goal for them.
The only good thing yesterday was the journey home after the game. :)

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
Simeone has been at Atleti for 7 years, in that time they have won 1 x Europa League and La Liga and also moved stadiums. They have continued to be competitive this year and also the fans are united behind the team as one.

I do not think he is anything like Jose Mourinho as there is no cheque book, it is not all about him. He does not blame his players for everything and throw them under the boss after failing to park it. Ok he gets to passionate but the truth is his sending off motivated that Atleti team, and they new exactly what to do and how to play without him on the touchline.

Do you think the Arsenal fans would take to him?

I’m not taking anything away from his achievements or success. However, I don’t agree with the style of football he plays and I don’t think the win at all costs at the sacrifice of style is the type of football I’d like to see given the choice.

I think the fan base would probably take to his passion and the defensive stability, results based style he would bring in.

I also think PL football is just culturally different to the Spanish and South American style so not sure it would translate 100%.

Who knows maybe he will proove me wrong - he is a capable and talented tactician in his own right.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Top post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom