• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEL SF 1st Leg: Arsenal v Atletico Madrid | April 26, 2018 20:05 BST | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
One goal in 90 minutes at Madrid, it's still possible.
We'll get chances and we can risk much more, because extra time is still a realistic opportunity.

Sevilla won there, Chelsea won there. Arsenal will score there at least.

Of course we played against 10 man on thursday, but that only made a difference offensively for them. Because they had everyone in the box despite Griezmann anyway.

They will have more counters next game, it's will be a much more open game with less possession. Hopefully they will not be in the box 90 minutes again, so boring to watch.

Barca or Real haven't done better at home against them this season, only a free kick helped Barca. We did well, never seen a team had so many chances against them.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

What exactly should have happened? Drop deeper? We were 1-0 up against 10 men, a golden opportunity to increase the lead and Atletico were making defensive subs trying to limit the loss. We had at least 2-3 players at all time dealing with Griezmann, I don't see what more can/should've be done?

The failure on that goal had all to do with the players on the pitch, Monreal's laziness is on him, lack of organising is on Koscielny(I'm guessing he's supposed to be the leader), you never organise a backline from the sidelines, that duty has always been one of the cb's.. Koscielny's mistake after that is on him.

Now you can argue it's Wenger's fault for trusting these players with responsibilities they are not cut out for, but I can't agree this goal was a tactical mistake..

It's interesting that all the possession sides tend to be susceptible to balls over the top . It's not just an Arsenal thing . I reckon we will keep a clean sheet at Madrid not sure why .

BobP

Memri Fan
Wenger's right, Atletico going down to 10 men ruined the flow of the game.

Last 10 man team you'd want to come up against is Atletico.

Still, we created plenty of good chances which we weren't able to take.

VancouverCanuck

It's interesting to compare Arsenal to Atletico as clubs. Historically the two are about comparable, Arsenal have won more major trophies but they've done better in Europe. Both clubs are basically the 3rd most successful clubs in their countries, similar sized stadiums too. On the other hand Arsenal is a much richer and more stable club, our revenue is about twice that of Atletico I think? They were a bit of a financial basket case not too long ago. Arsenal also has a much bigger global fanbase I assume.

So you'd expect Arsenal to easily be able to compete with or outperform Atletico. However what we see on the pitch is so very different. Yesterday we saw a real bonafide Champions League team in Atletico. They're a much better team than us, let's be real. They've achieved that through recruitment and coaching. They're very well coached and they consistently recruit incredibly well (like seriously I have no idea how they keep bringing in such good strikers and goalkeepers).

It shows that we're in this position because we have been incredibly inefficient. We have wasted our resources and made very little of the quality we do have. It's dispiriting, but also encouraging in the sense that if this club can find a way, like other clubs have, to maximise their resources with good recruitment and good coaching, then the natural size of our club means that it will return to performing at the elite level in Europe. We're performing well below our capacity, we simply need to perform to our capacity, and hopefully above it.

The incomings of Mislintat and Sanllehi positively suggest we'll become more efficient in recruitment, it just remains to see who the new coach will be. That coach has to be able to galvanise the squad and get every last drop out of it. If those two things happen then in 2 or 3 seasons we may well be a Champions League team again.
For all the talks about squad cost and all, we have fared poorly in player development and recruitment in recent years. And totally mismanaged many dealings as well. Why the hell did Wenger decide on keeping Alexis last summer? City was going to $60 mil. We could have made good use of that money.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
For all the talks about squad cost and all, we have fared poorly in player development and recruitment in recent years. And totally mismanaged many dealings as well. Why the hell did Wenger decide on keeping Alexis last summer? City was going to $60 mil. We could have made good use of that money.

No we wouldnt have. The club was trying to blow 90m on Lemar. :lol:

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Watched most of the game and was happy with the chances created but we just couldn't put them away and Oblak showed why he is world class. As far as their defence - I am surprised we scored to be honest. Not surprised that we let a goal in which really stings, however, this tie isn't over yet - we just need to believe and keep pushing - I think having Mkhi back will really help our chances.
Is M
No we wouldnt have. The club was trying to blow 90m on Lemar. :lol:
Too true...thank god they said no.

Lol Monaco are trying to sell him this Summer...no club will pay more than 50 million.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
Is M

Too true...thank god they said no.

Lol Monaco are trying to sell him this Summer...no club will pay more than 50 million.
I would go with Mkhi instead of Jack, and Chambers instead of Koscielny and AMN instead of Monreal. Have Ramsey sit closer to Xhaka and help the defense. Let Özil, Mkhi, Welbz and Laca unlock them.

Its better to keep it solid for 60 minutes and then try and get a goal.

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
I would go with Mkhi instead of Jack, and Chambers instead of Koscielny and AMN instead of Monreal. Have Ramsey sit closer to Xhaka and help the defense. Let Özil, Mkhi, Welbz and Laca unlock them.

Its better to keep it solid for 60 minutes and then try and get a goal.

Dropping Monreal for Maitland-Nikes? Away from home in a European semi final? If he ****s up people are going to call for his head, would ruin his career

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
Dropping Monreal for Maitland-Nikes? Away from home in a European semi final? If he ****s up people are going to call for his head, would ruin his career
yeah. It would be nicer if Kolasinac had laid off the pies. However, we need 11 men in peak physical condition. Even if he makes a mistake, it cant be worse than what Monreal did. And anway, if he steps up, he will win the game for us. Got a lot of running in him. Or sub him in for Monreal at 60 min.

Also Ramsey and Xhaka will have to sit back deeper and help out.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Fair chance to go through, but history doesn’t bode well. Fouling a guy early when he’s clean through. Staying down at the right moment to waste time. Complaining to the ref about a foul so he books the guy next foul.

Its these “smart” little things that can make all difference in a game like this. I’ve not consistently seen it from us since we got to the CL final. Sure, we were ****e in the league that year but we were unbelievably street smart in the CL. (Eg:Reyes was injured just off the pitch and he rolled back ON to the pitch to waste time :) :) ). Almost like we had a different manager.

Maybe purist Wengerball footballing values can win through. In some crazy way needing a goal probably suits us. Let’s do this! COYG!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom