• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations from Emery's first season, 2018/19

What are your expectations of the new manager's first season with us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I was interested to gauge the forums thoughts around what people are expecting from Emery this season.

Is it a question of giving him enough time to settle in his methods, especially in an environment where we arent likely to spend big?

Or is it as Wenger said, that this team is one or two additions away from challenging for the league.

What are your expectations for 2018/19, in terms of achievements, competition, player recruitment, playing style, defense/attack focus, etc?

Mods, if you feel this can be incorporated into the Welcome Emery thread, or others, please feel free.

Last edited:

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Good thread, no, don't merge it. Every half decent discussion gets lost in those mega threads.

I always expect to challenge for the title personally, and with the right transfers I think it's possible, although ****ty with Pep last season might have raised the bar a bit too high.

Bare minimum for me is good football, progression with players/youngsters, and CL through EL/top 4.

CanadianGooner1608

My expectations, regardless of PL rankings are as follow:

- Keep playing attacking, pressing football, the kind that made me fall in love with Arsenal.
- Make it so we concede significally less than 51 goal during the season
- Make us look like an organized unit with a plan (whether we win or lose)
- Develop some of our young ones. I'm particularly excited by what could be done with AMN, Nelson, Mavropanos, and maybe Nketiah in a first team setting.
- Get us back into Champion's League (by way of Europa or PL, I don't care), but I'd be willing to give him a year to get settled before getting impatient.
- Make us competitive in domestic cups, and look dangerous in PL. I want Utd, Sp**s, Chelsea, Pool, and City at least worried to play us.

Don't know if it's unrealistic, but that's what I'm hoping for.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
In the PL I'm expecting top 4. if we get 75+ points but fail to get top4, I wouldn't say it's a good season, but acceptable as we would have shown that we are heading in the right direction.. Winning the EL would make up for a poor Pl season.

In general I'm expecting good football, clear plan and structure in the way we want to play, continued improvement in player development and I'm hoping we'll do a better job in the transfer market getting the right quality players..

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Back to Top 4 should be main aim.With few good signings and with some improve players we can maybe achieve that.Ofc,our away form should be way better and we must hope that some of big sides have average season.Tip for Sp**s and Chelsea.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Expect a team that competes in every game, a team with a plan, structure etc. Players who now have clear roles and directions to execute.

I’ll accept in his first season for us to ‘push’ for top 4. Giving Emery some space because I think we’re behind our rivals, and they have equally as good managers plus more spending power, so it’s hard to see big jumps imo.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I'd like us to get top 4, if our away form hadn't been so awful we may have got top 4 this season, so next with a few additions and an organised defence is achievable. A good cup run would be nice, especially EL. If we dont get any of the above due to top 4 clubs being brilliant & spending crazy money then I'd settle for us moving in the right direction, meaning a lot less goals conceded and beating teams that should not be beating us. There was too much of that this season.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It all depends on what money Emery gets.

If he only gets £50-70m, maybe 5th. If he gets an early Xmas present from Kroenke to kick start the season then he may get into the top 4, but very unlikely.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Just read through other posts in this thread and believe people to be unrealistic calling for trophies and top 4 from the off.

Arsène got top 4 from season 1 but the competion wasn’t as stiff, and Kroenke hadn’t put a block on spending in those days.

Give the bloke a chance ffs. 5th would be a good start. Mourinho got 6th in his first season with double Emery’s spend.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Just read through other posts in this thread and believe people to be unrealistic calling for trophies and top 4 from the off.

Arséne got top 4 from season 1 but the competion wasn’t as stiff, and Kroenke hadn’t put a block on spending in those days.

Give the bloke a chance ffs. 5th would be a good start. Mourinho got 6th in his first season with double Emery’s spend.
I’m not saying fire him if we finish 6th again (which I think is still the best bet barring proper investment over the summer), but it’d definitely be below expectations.

Top Bottom