• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sven's Transfer Targets: Summer 2018

If we were to spend big money on one player, what position would you prefer that to be for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
All sounds very exciting but can't see us moving for a striker unless we sell Lacazette which I don't think is likely or warranted.

And we cannot buy more CBs without shedding at least two players I would think. We have: Koscielny, Mustafi, Chambers, Mavropanos, Sokratis and Holding. Way too many already.

Agree on both. Just think the "big" strikers moving are probably what sets the market into motion this summer with a lot of possible outcomes. E.g. if Tuchel decides he wants Mbappé through the middle, Cavani moves, but PSG won't be in for a striker but a winger. Or if PSG sign Lewa, Cavani is on the move and PSG are probably set - or nothing happens. Griezmann staying has already closed the doors for strikers to Atletico, which apparently was an option for Aguero, but Higuain is in the shopping window, Chelsea don't have a top striker right now, etc etc.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Agree on both. Just think the "big" strikers moving are probably what sets the market into motion this summer with a lot of possible outcomes. E.g. if Tuchel decides he wants Mbappé through the middle, Cavani moves, but PSG won't be in for a striker but a winger. Or if PSG sign Lewa, Cavani is on the move and PSG are probably set - or nothing happens. Griezmann staying has already closed the doors for strikers to Atletico, which apparently was an option for Aguero, but Higuain is in the shopping window, Chelsea don't have a top striker right now, etc etc.
I wouldn't say no to Aguero but, again, can't see us having three major strikers whilst we play with one up front. Even selling Welbeck would make no difference to this really.

Toby

I wouldn't say no to Aguero but, again, can't see us having three major strikers whilst we play with one up front. Even selling Welbeck would make no difference to this really.

Yeah, no, wasn't meant to say we were in for a striker. We're set with Auba and Laca, but depending on where the strikers move it sets other moves in motions and frees up certain players that might be interesting to Arsenal.

But no matter what, if it's not a Mavropanos style signing, I expect the rest of the business of Arsenal to be done after sales and after the WC. Think we'll see a very heated transfer market towards the end of the window.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Yeah, no, wasn't meant to say we were in for a striker. We're set with Auba and Laca, but depending on where the strikers move it sets other moves in motions and frees up certain players that might be interesting to Arsenal.

But no matter what, if it's not a Mavropanos style signing, I expect the rest of the business of Arsenal to be done after sales and after the WC. Think we'll see a very heated transfer market towards the end of the window.
I understand. Let's hope we emerge stronger from the transfer window. Looking forward to the new season already!

Toby

I understand. Let's hope we emerge stronger from the transfer window. Looking forward to the new season already!

I'm fairly certain we'll do. Think Torreira, Sokratis and a RB backup in Lichtsteiner already take the squad a long way along a new manager.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Hopefully some sales will kickstart a new round of spending.

Thought we would bring in more young prospects like Torreira... More of a long term view but links been dead for a while.

dabest

Hey guys!

I haven’t posted a lot but I’m a lifelong 3rd generation gooner living in Switzerland and have been following the forum since Anthony G and biggus were running ****! I was reading it when Yousif was in the lobby (you’re English is much better by the way man ;))

After tonight’s Switzerland vs Brazil I just have to make this post on the “wishlist”

Manuel AKANJI

Had a masterclass for us vs Brazil. He played for Basel, who are the Swiss elite, before moving to Dortmund this year, but the dude is still only 22!!

I’m happy to discuss attributes and such but he’s one of our stars, and I believe/hope that the reason that we’re stalling on so many defensive transfers (buying and selling) is that we’re really in for him.

I know that I’m biased but I’ve seen him play a few times and I really like him because he has good dustribition, is as fast as hell, moves along the line perfectly in a back three, can bomb down a wing, has a goal in him and is Swiss.

Edit: I thought that he moved to Dortmund sooner and that he might have been brought in by Svenn but he only moved in January

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Hopefully some sales will kickstart a new round of spending.

Thought we would bring in more young prospects like Torreira... More of a long term view but links been dead for a while.
To be fair, I'm not expecting too many young prospects outside of Torreira, not even after Adli rejecting us. We have a bunch of our own we can give an opportunity to, so I don't think it's as big a priority as people are saying.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
To be fair, I'm not expecting too many young prospects outside of Torreira, not even after Adli rejecting us. We have a bunch of our own we can give an opportunity to, so I don't think it's as big a priority as people are saying.
I like the group coming through but realistically we will be very fortunate if more than 1 or 2 truly make it as a first eleven player. There is a complete dearth of proven talent under 25 outside of Hector.

I hope we buy any 21-25 talent Sven, Emery & Raul have on their radars.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Hey guys!

I haven’t posted a lot but I’m a lifelong 3rd generation gooner living in Switzerland and have been following the forum since Anthony G and biggus were running ****! I was reading it when Yousif was in the lobby (you’re English is much better by the way man ;))

After tonight’s Switzerland vs Brazil I just have to make this post on the “wishlist”

Manuel AKANJI

Had a masterclass for us vs Brazil. He played for Basel, who are the Swiss elite, before moving to Dortmund this year, but the dude is still only 22!!

I’m happy to discuss attributes and such but he’s one of our stars, and I believe/hope that the reason that we’re stalling on so many defensive transfers (buying and selling) is that we’re really in for him.

I know that I’m biased but I’ve seen him play a few times and I really like him because he has good dustribition, is as fast as hell, moves along the line perfectly in a back three, can bomb down a wing, has a goal in him and is Swiss.

Edit: I thought that he moved to Dortmund sooner and that he might have been brought in by Svenn but he only moved in January
Almost ten years with a single post haha!
I was also very impressed by him today but it'll be a few years or an absolute massive fee to see him move.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Hey guys!

Manuel AKANJI

did well, Akanji. I am glad to hear his distribution is good, cause I think today it was poor. still, I liked the look of him

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Hey guys!

Manuel AKANJI

He plays for Dortmund?

Sven right now:
tenor.gif

Jack_The_Lad

Hey guys!

Manuel AKANJI

I do like Akanji a lot, he's had a steep career the last three years. Came from the Swiss 2nd division to Basel and adapted very quickly and became a regular fixture until he tore his ACL. I was quite impressed how he managed to come back after that earning a big move to Dortmund not too long after.
The guy's got a lot of potential I reckon, however I do think another move right now wouldn't be beneficial for his career. He's playing at Dortmund AFAIK and with Sokratis coming our way he's surely bound to be a bigger presence for them as well.

As he surely won't be attainable, let's see how he kicks on and keep an eye on him.

Wryer

Lichtsteiner -- Done and announced
Sokratis -- Done, but won't be announced until July to help Dortmund with bookkeeping
Torreira -- Basically done, but it's tricky getting things finalized during the World Cup
Leno -- Close, according to multiple sources, and should be finished and announced next week

I like how we are fixing the central spine issue first and foremost.

Close these deals, add another young defender (Soyuncu?) and we are good to go.

Add another opportunistic signing in an exciting winger would be a real icing. I really do think Dembele could somehow be available depending on how things are moving in the window for Barca.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
I fell in love with Lozano yesterday.
We were linked to him to replace sanchez a few months ago.

If only we could manage to sell Welbeck and Iwobi if needed to buy him, it would be such a great piece of business.

He'd bring some pace to our wings and some penetration which we desperatly need.
He shouldn't be that expensive. No more than £30/35M. We can't afford to let him join another european club.

Kingslayer

Forza Milan
I fell in love with Lozano yesterday.
We were linked to him to replace sanchez a few months ago.

If only we could manage to sell Welbeck and Iwobi if needed to buy him, it would be such a great piece of business.

He'd bring some pace to our wings and some penetration which we desperatly need.
He shouldn't be that expensive. No more than £30/35M. We can't afford to let him join another european club.

Alright, since you insisted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom