• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul Sanllehi has left Arsenal

dbig

The same thing is happening in most clubs. Think MU has 7-8 players on the last year of their contracts. Loads of top players elsewhere are also running down their contracts.

It is a phenomenon, so let's see if we can actually do anything about it. The only thing I can think of is forcing a sale if they don't sign. Recoup a bit rather than letting them leave on a free.

However, it makes all the sense for a footballer not to extend until the end. If they go on a free, they get tonnes of add-ons like loyalty fees and signing on bonuses that would have otherwise gone into their transfer fees.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
I like the Utd way of keeping a one year extension as an option for the club if they wish to exercise it. Even Tottenham have some kind of arrangement with Alderweireld when they can extend his contract and a buyout clause gets activated if they extend. Both sides are protected. Players leaving on a free will not continue, clubs will find a way to deal with it.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I like the Utd way of keeping a one year extension as an option for the club if they wish to exercise it. Even Tottenham have some kind of arrangement with Alderweireld when they can extend his contract and a buyout clause gets activated if they extend. Both sides are protected. Players leaving on a free will not continue, clubs will find a way to deal with it.

I think it's pretty easy to deal with. Name an Arsenal player that had a clause in their contract. There are so many ways to protect your assets. Sign young players on long term deals, sensible release clauses, extension options.

The key is to set a policy of renegotiation when 2 years remain. For example Auba is 29 with a deal till 2021. He would be 32 at the end of that deal where you would lose him for free. Before the start of next season you sit down with him when he is 30 and extend his contract by one year with a low release clause for when he turns 32. That way he can leave for a reasonable price if he has been moved down the pecking order.

You can't use that strategy with a young player. For example the situation that Man United are in with Martial are in isn't a good one. He is 23 in December with a deal that runs out this year. They have an option to extend. So they could extend it in the hope that they could resign him. However he is so young at 24 that he could literally wait another year as he is so good that they would be forced to play him and he could still leave on a free at 24. If he comes out at the end of the season and says you can extend me but I'm still not signing, they would be forced to sell him at a reasonable price with only 1 year left.

We should be all over that situation. Lacazette is 27, Auba 29, Martial 22. Unsettle the player, make him want to move and refuse to extend and you could potentially buy him and play him as a wide player with a view to him being centre forward in 2 years.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Like he said its hardly inventing the wheel. Players normally sign on a 5 year deal and after 3 years you should know what you are doing.

I also like the fact they are putting more footballers on the executive committe with big Per recently joining the fold.

The club is changing on and off the field and i for one feel its for the best. The feel good factor is back.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
The main issue is the riculous wages clubs give to their player.

When you have fringe players on 100k/week+ contract you can't sell them at a decent price because the smaller clubs can't afford to have a huge wagebill.

And in the same time the biggest clubs don't offer new deals to their fringe players.

Even though Alexis and Özil were different cases.

say yes

forum master baiter
Revolutionary stuff here

His quote is bang on tbf:

“In general, I do believe that a player’s contract should never go to the last year, as a policy,” said Sanllehi in a wide-ranging interview with the Sunday Telegraph. “But I don’t think I am inventing the wheel. Anybody could agree on that. Normally, the contracts of the players are for five years. You need to have a clear idea of what you want to do with that player when he is in the third year, at the latest.”

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
We need to be very, very efficient in the design of the first team. We need to be very efficient in the way we play and the way we generate the income to put more fuel into the machine.

This is my favorite part of the interview. Emery is working hard to re-establish an identity on the pitch. With some astute recruitment in a couple more windows, we'll have a team that can operate at peak efficiency, playing to their strengths, kinda like how Liverpool have done in recent years. Hopefully we'll have a lot more success on the pitch than they have.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Like he said its hardly inventing the wheel. Players normally sign on a 5 year deal and after 3 years you should know what you are doing.

I also like the fact they are putting more footballers on the executive committe with big Per recently joining the fold.

The club is changing on and off the field and i for one feel its for the best. The feel good factor is back.

Yep, Per joining the discussions and having a say is good news. I pity those who snubbed his game recently! :)

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
The same thing is happening in most clubs. Think MU has 7-8 players on the last year of their contracts. Loads of top players elsewhere are also running down their contracts.

It is a phenomenon, so let's see if we can actually do anything about it. The only thing I can think of is forcing a sale if they don't sign. Recoup a bit rather than letting them leave on a free.

However, it makes all the sense for a footballer not to extend until the end. If they go on a free, they get tonnes of add-ons like loyalty fees and signing on bonuses that would have otherwise gone into their transfer fees.

Yeah spot on. Sounds good on paper, but we'll see how realistic that will be in the coming years.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

It is a phenomenon

Has been foretold by a couple of people, I think even including Wenger. It's down to the transfer sums. 50 to almost 100m for a very good first team player but who is no marquee signing is something most clubs just won't do anymore, especially if they need or want to do multiple transfers in a window. An above 100m Coutinho, Neymar, pogba marquee signing is far more likely than a 50 or 60m Martial transfer right now. Especially if those players are at big clubs already. If they need to take a step down concerning clubs, 70m will eat all of the budget of a second tier club. If clubs have the cash they will far more likely splash it on a big, big one. That in turn will dry up resources for other transfers. If no big signing is possible, they will rather turn to players that cost less than 40 or 50m and get more than one. That's why a lot of players in that good to very good but not worldclass/marquee signing bracket have started to run down contracts, 'cause otherwise their chances of leaving or getting higher paychecks would sink.

Right now, first tier clubs will rather get one massive signing or a couple of smaller ones, while second tier clubs with multiple squad issues can't spend all their budget on one player. That's why a lot of highly rated but not top crop players aim to run down their contracts for more leverage in contract negotiations or to keep the possibility of a move alive.

Top Bottom