• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Arsenal vs Huddersfield | Saturday | 15:00 GMT

Prediction

• Arsenal win

Votes: 36 87.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Huddersfield win

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Terrible match thread

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
poor Torreira, someone forgot to tell/translate him this was a fixed match, shouldn’t have scored

isop

@Mo Britain I actually do think performances have been poor, I've been very dissapointed when watching the team for most of the season, but I'm trying not to be too harsh and give Emery a shot and some transfer windows to shape the team. I agree Chelsea and Sp**s have been inconsistent, which has made it easier for us to be more competitive for the top 4.

@ptrcopp sorry thats what I meant, 'punching above our weight' in terms of performances, where the results have made us look better than we've been playing. The squad can obviously be improved but is enough to compete for the top 4, AW mismanaged it the last 2 seasons, and I thought Emery would need a transition season to implement his methods for a proper run next season. Looks like we're doing better than most thought we would.

Regarding chances general play can still be bad despite chance creation, we were usually able to create chances even under Wenger while being poor with our build up play, we are a top 6 team with a better squad than most in the league, making us favourites for most matches.

@Big Poppa
Imo something is not right though about our general build up play, it looks laboured most times, tempo too slow, not enough dribbling or movement off the ball, occasionally stuff comes off but its hard to explain, regardless of formation, tactics, personnel, it's been like that since the start of the season. When our tails are up at certain moments/periods in some games and combinations are working, we play fast paced attacking football and that can look great, but that is not the norm from what I've seen.

I agree we need some smart transfer business like we did in the summer with the spine of the team. The likes of mkhi, Özil, ramsey, iwobi are either duds or too inconsistent. We need to ship out at least 2 of the first 3 and sign 1 or 2 quality attackers, flexible guys who can play wide or centrally - seen the rumours about miguel almiron, cengiz under and nicolas pepe but they would cost a fair bit.

Last edited:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I’d rather none of our players dived and that the referees punish it correctly, and the FA do if it’s missed. But also the media are equal in their coverage.
So would I but unfortunately the refs seem to be getting more wrong. In yesterday's match, Laca's disallowed goal should have stood. It's not even a difficult decision. I don't blame our players for trying to win a decision at this stage.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Our players were encouraged to carry on diving by the fact the referee did not penalise the Huddersfield dives. Unfortunately he wasn't lenient with us. Laca's goal should have stood. A travesty if we'd dropped two points because of that mistake.

I didn't see our line-up as defensive. It was essentially 3-5-2.

Preacher

Always Crying
@Mo Britain I actually do think performances have been poor, I've been very dissapointed when watching the team for most of the season, but I'm trying not to be too harsh and give Emery a shot and some transfer windows to shape the team. I agree Chelsea and Sp**s have been inconsistent, which has made it easier for us to be more competitive for the top 4.
Pile of nonsense. Some people are watching different games or they're living in the La la land with strange expectations.

Dt6SFhkXcAAvTYU.jpg

Points won after their opening 15 games.
Emery - 31 points
Guardiola - 30 points
Mourinho- 27 points
Klopp - 23 points
Pochettino- 21 points

In what world are Sp**s inconsistent ? They're having the best start of the season in their history.

Emery's luck, that battle for top 4 is more competitive than ever this season and he almost certainly will need to break points record in order to reach at least 4th place.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

@ptrcopp sorry thats what I meant, 'punching above our weight' in terms of performances, where the results have made us look better than we've been playing. The squad can obviously be improved but is enough to compete for the top 4, AW mismanaged it the last 2 seasons, and I thought Emery would need a transition season to implement his methods for a proper run next season. Looks like we're doing better than most thought we would.

Regarding chances general play can still be bad despite chance creation, we were usually able to create chances even under Wenger while being poor with our build up play, we are a top 6 team with a better squad than most in the league, making us favourites for most matches.

@Big Poppa
Imo something is not right though about our general build up play, it looks laboured most times, tempo too slow, not enough dribbling or movement off the ball, occasionally stuff comes off but its hard to explain, regardless of formation, tactics, personnel, it's been like that since the start of the season. When our tails are up at certain moments/periods in some games and combinations are working, we play fast paced attacking football and that can look great, but that is not the norm from what I've seen.

I agree we need some smart transfer business like we did in the summer with the spine of the team. The likes of mkhi, Özil, ramsey, iwobi are either duds or too inconsistent. We need to ship out at least 2 of the first 3 and sign 1 or 2 quality attackers, flexible guys who can play wide or centrally - seen the rumours about miguel almiron, cengiz under and nicolas pepe but they would cost a fair bit.
Performances can’t be poor if you’re unbeaten in 21 games in the managers first season.

Not too sure of the stats without looking them up but I’m guessing that’s probably one of the best new manager stats for the first half of the season since the prem began.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Pile of nonsense. Some people are watching different games or they're living in the La la land with strange expectations.

Dt6SFhkXcAAvTYU.jpg

Emery - 31 points
Guardiola - 30 points
Mourinho- 27 points
Klopp - 23 points
Pochettino- 21 points

In what world are Sp**s inconsistent ? They're having the best start of the season in their history.

Emery's luck, that battle for top 4 is more competitive than ever this season and he almost certainly will need to break points record in order to reach at least 4th place.
Sp**s are not consistent enough to challenge for the title. They are doing as well as we are, no better, which means we can take them because we have a larger squad and the ability ( should Kronke authorise it) of spending more in January than they can. At the moment two teams are fighting for the title and three are fighting for 3rd and 4th.

It was more difficult last season when there was a "Big Six", the eclipse of Manu means we only have to

Preacher

Always Crying
Sp**s are not consistent enough to challenge for the title. They are doing as well as we are, no better, which means we can take them because we have a larger squad and the ability ( should Kronke authorise it) of spending more in January than they can. At the moment two teams are fighting for the title and three are fighting for 3rd and 4th.

It was more difficult last season when there was a "Big Six", the eclipse of Manu means we only have to
Nobody is talking about Sp**s as title challengers. OP said that Sp**s supposed inconsistency helps us in the fight for top 4. This is invalid point, because they're having the best season start ever. I can't see how it helps us.

I measure difficulty by points threshold, which will be needed in order to finish in top 4. Until now ~75 pts was always enough, but this season I think we'll need at least 80, maybe even more. Toughest year by far.

ptrcopp

So would I but unfortunately the refs seem to be getting more wrong. In yesterday's match, Laca's disallowed goal should have stood. It's not even a difficult decision. I don't blame our players for trying to win a decision at this stage.

I think there is an argument to make that the Laca one was rightly given as offside.

But I agree referees are getting a lot wrong. Though it generally is the same refs. Look at Newcastle - Wolves game, that’s two weeks in a row Dean has made poor decisions. When Perez was elbowed, even if he didn’t see it, he should have stopped the game. It’s getting embarrassing to watch really.

But I still blame our players for their actions, especially the Guen one.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Nobody is talking about Sp**s as title challengers. OP said that Sp**s supposed inconsistency helps us in the fight for top 4. This is invalid point, because they're having the best season start ever. I can't see how it helps us.

I measure difficulty by points threshold, which will be needed in order to finish in top 4. Until now ~75 pts was always enough, but this season I think we'll need at least 80, maybe even more. Toughest year by far.
So you think we are more inconsistent than Sp**s?

Tomb Bombadil

5 defenders, 3 DM's at home against the mighty Huddersfield.. wtf was that..
Kolasinac is much better offensively and real threat, wouldn't count him a a defender in that position. Bellerin is also good in the offensiv.

But yeah quite defensiv line-up. Also a bit due to the pile of games and injuries.

Last edited:

isop

Dt6SFhkXcAAvTYU.jpg

Emery - 31 points
Guardiola - 30 points
Mourinho- 27 points
Klopp - 23 points
Pochettino- 21 points

If you'd read my posts you would see that i'm talking about performances not results. Poor performances will eventually catch up with you. If you think we're playing really well then you're right we're probably watching different games.

It's a bit of both with Sp**s. They are in the mix but they could still be doing better, I honestly thought they could be title challengers along with liverpool, both them and chelsea are competitive but not running away and still catchable, at the moment.

@Preacher, @Makingtrax and others

As I said I'm cutting Emery some slack in his first season and transfer window, I admire the unbeaten run, the new found resilience, the spirititedness and other things, but most of the time we labour to get results and make hard work of matches, and with our still suspect defensive organization and problematic build up play, I'm wondering when these things will change. Some of things were also a problem under Wenger, no matter what nice runs we went on, and below par performances eventually catch up with the team. Let's revisit it later in the season though.

Last edited:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

The goal was absolutely worldclass. The pass from Guendouzi, the control from Auba, where he put the ball in the most dangerous area without looking and the acrobatic finish from Torreira. It was a sequence of 7 seconds but filled with brilliant action.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think there is an argument to make that the Laca one was rightly given as offside.

But I agree referees are getting a lot wrong. Though it generally is the same refs. Look at Newcastle - Wolves game, that’s two weeks in a row Dean has made poor decisions. When Perez was elbowed, even if he didn’t see it, he should have stopped the game. It’s getting embarrassing to watch really.

But I still blame our players for their actions, especially the Guen one.
Do you remember that match involving Liverpool where the player sliced his kick snd the ball went towards his own goal? The refs still don't know the rules lol. Agree about Guendouzi. He obviously went to the Walcott school of diving.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
With s**** performance and late goal. We are not Manchester f***** United, we are attacking team and should have started with attacking lineup and should have easily won this.

My expectations are not that a new manager comes into a club that had gone chronically stagnant, waves a magic wand and instantly were playing winning champagne football every game. I think it’s going to take a *lot* of time and hard work.

An attacking line up of “superior” players does not guarantee you 3 points in the premier league. How many times in the last few seasons have you seen us overcommit going forwards at home to so called “lesser” opposition and condcede on the break with their first attack.

Not for one moment suggesting it was a great performance, but I’m pleased with the bigger picture. Have patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom