• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Next Captain?

Which best describes your opinion of Xhaka?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He’s crap been saying t for ages

Loads of people do mental backflips to justify him but he’s rubbish.

Need to get rid in the summer

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

He's fine, despite a poor game yesterday. Been moved around a lot and been the only constant in ever-changing systems and line-ups.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

He's fine, despite a poor game yesterday. Been moved around a lot and been the only constant in ever-changing systems and line-ups.

Fine isn’t good enough. He is not what we need at all in my opinion. Hes not suited to us/this league but I think we could actually get decent money for him so we should sell and replace with a different style of CM to partner Torreira

Nicenho

Been **** and always will be. Occasional decent performances won't change that. The faster we get rid the better. One day the Xhaka fanboys will have to accept it.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
He’s crap been saying t for ages

Loads of people do mental backflips to justify him but he’s rubbish.

Need to get rid in the summer

We should sell him before the rest of the football world cottons on to this fact.

Like how we should have done with Chambers, Sanchez and Walcott. We always keep players too long causing them to lose all their value. With some savvy negotiating we should be able to get 40- 45 M for him

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
I don't like him as much as some fans on here do but he's not ****. We need to improve on him for sure, but this is not football manager and we have much more issues elsewhere.

Meanwhile, if he can keep the brainfarts to a minimum he can stay for a while.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He's been decent this season. Can't say he's been crap personally - however he always has these kind of errors in his game and gives the ball away a lot for someone who's as good at passing as he is. Although I don't think the latter is all his fault - better movement will serve his passing game better.

I still think he can be improved upon. Torreira and Guendouzi are promising but we haven't see the best of them yet - both of them have slightly dipped in form after decent periods of form. All 3 are flawed in some way. It can work but we'll see.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

Xhaka is terminally flawed. He’s had enough time, he continues with serious errors that cost games. Even if he didn’t do that he still would need binning.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Xhaka is terminally flawed. He’s had enough time, he continues with serious errors that cost games. Even if he didn’t do that he still would need binning.
We would need to replace his progressive passing in the team. He's not Cazorla in terms of key passes but he's the only one who does it. Guendouzi has the ability but he takes too many touches and slows the game down. Torreira has the ability but plays it safer because he's the defensive one. Xhaka reliably passes forward into dangerous positions more than our other midfielders. It's the ONE thing he does consistently well, and the main reason why he stays in the team.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I did. I suppose I was wrong. But why does he make Xhaka the first player on the team sheet if he doesn't rate him?
Because we literally have nobody else who can transition in midfield. Had Wenger stayed,we'd probably have kept Cazorla which would still be insufficient. I thought Özil could play this role but Emery doesn't pick him so we're stuffed.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

Whoever is saying that Xhaka had anything to do with the West Ham goal is trying to divert the attention from the real issue. He at least tried to clear the ball with an aerial header, the best at it in arsenal team.

There is no control in arsenal midfield without Xhaka, and playing with such a fragile, inexperienced player like in Guendouzi I think makes him confused. At one point it looked like he was watching at his partner, asking "wtf is he doing?"

Last edited:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
It's an interesting graph tbh. As Xhaka doesn't seem very press proof,Guendouzi could be the one to receive it from the back three and pass to Xhaka further up field. One of Laca/Auba should come deeper wide right to provide an option on the opposite side to Iwobi. Good movement by at least one FB provides another option. The issue is that too many players have too many limitations as does Xhaka himself.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Whoever is saying that Xhaka had anything to do with the West Ham goal is trying to divert the attention from the real issue. He at least tried to clear the ball with an aerial header, the best at it in arsenal team.

There is no control in arsenal midfield without Xhaka, and playing with such a fragile, inexperienced player like in Guendouzi I think makes him confused. At one point it looked like he was watching at his partner, asking "wtf is he doing?"

As the senior player and a "captain", Xhaka has every right and even an obligation to guide the younger player in terms of game management. I saw Cesc do it as a young player and wish some current players would do this now.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

Tell that to Emery, not me. Xhaka played with every midfielder at Arsenal before, and all of them looked almost as world class next to him, including Elneny and the young player, Niles against Manchester United. So did Torreira.

Bobby the no1 gooner

Ya'll need Jesus
This guy is an average performer and a goldilocks player. Everything needs to be just right for him to thrive. We have had too many players like that in our lean years as a club. I want to see more players in the type of Alexis Sanchez. A performer on a consistent basis and a winner putting in performances no matter who he plays with and with talent. Özil, Iwobi, Ramsey and others in addition typify this type of player and it just makes for inflexibility when injuries and suspension occur. Terriera is a player I like but there is not enough around him.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
People in this thread are being too harsh to Xhaka. I think he's one of the best playmakers in the league he's just terrible defensively.

He's a yin-yang player, one of the best in the attacking side of CM but woeful in the defensive side.

Jae

People in this thread are being too harsh to Xhaka. I think he's one of the best playmakers in the league he's just terrible defensively.

He's a yin-yang player, one of the best in the attacking side of CM but woeful in the defensive side.

I agree with what you're saying to a degree mate, but in my opinion to play centre midfield for Arsenal (or any other top team for that matter) - you need to be good at (pretty much) everything, being terrible at anything just isn't an option.

We aren't in a position where we can afford to be carrying players, everyone needs to be able to stand on their own two feet and fend for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom