• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Everton vs Arsenal | April 7, 2019 | 14:05 BST | Sky Sports

Result

• Everton win

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Arsenal win

Votes: 32 68.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

progman07

Established Member
We need a more physically dominant centre forward who can run in behind and link up play. We need more technical midfielders who have pace and power. We need more pace at centre back with better passing. We need more speed at full back.

This summer we could potentially get a lb, cb, rb, cm and a winger, but they have to be of the right physical profile.
Arsenal-mania has finally found the solution that will bring us better football. Buy a whole new squad - full of players with pace, strength, technique and probably mental strength as well. Sounds like we just need a few Thierry Henrys and Patrick Vieiras, I don't know why the Club hasn't thought about that before.

progman07

Established Member
This. But people don't bang on enough about our utter dearth of technical quality.

It's the most important thing at the top level. And yes, we do need a new, genuinely elite striker.
When players like Mustafi, Xhaka, Guendouzi and Kolasinac regularly make our first 11, we should focus elsewhere than strikers.

Aguero, Kane and Salah have maybe 1-2 goals more than Aubameyang in the league, FFS, and these players cost you 100+ million in today's market.

When we have solved the defense, the midfield and the winger positions, added depth to the squad, and have an additional 100 million to improve on our strikers, we can discuss it. But when we added a new midfield and proper wingers, our striker will score even more goals and nobody will think about replacing them.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We will eventually need a new striker but that isn't the priority. It's more about the profile of player we buy. They need to be fast strong and technical. We make average players look good because we lack physical attributes in key areas of the pitch. Calvert Lewin can't finish, pass or dribble. However vs us he v looks like Drogba because our defence can't handle him. Monreal vs Richarlison was like Monreal vs Sarr. All you need is pace vs Monreal.

We need more mobile players who can attack and defend. That discourages the opposition. Players won't run in behind if they know they can't win a foot race. Players won't try and clatter you if you hold them off and turn to run at them.

look at the impact Iwobi made just from holding players off and running with it.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Everyone picks on their favourite punchbag but the reality is this was a terrible team performance. None of the players performed to their level whatever their individual qualities might be.

It was the old lack of leadership. No-one picked the game by the scruff of the neck and got stuck in. All the praise which is being expended on Everton is totally over the top. You would hate it if most of those players played at the Arsenal. All they did was stop us playing. it's much easier to do than play, especially when you have a compliant referee being a Friend to you. Bolton, Stoke did that for years. Everton didn't even need to be dirty, we were so pussilanimous.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Everyone picks on their favourite punchbag but the reality is this was a terrible team performance. None of the players performed to their level whatever their individual qualities might be.

It was the old lack of leadership. No-one picked the game by the scruff of the neck and got stuck in. All the praise which is being expended on Everton is totally over the top. You would hate it if most of those players played at the Arsenal. All they did was stop us playing. it's much easier to do than play, especially when you have a compliant referee being a Friend to you. Bolton, Stoke did that for years. Everton didn't even need to be dirty, we were so pussilanimous.
Agreed. We had not one person on the field who wanted it as much as they did and it showed. Pathetic display actually.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It is a regular occurrence in away games that the flaws in this current squad are highlighted. We have offensive players who are incapable of receiving the ball with a man up their arse under physical pressure. We have defenders who take an age to decide what to do, who lack the ability to drive with the ball or pass through the lines and we have midfielders who have no pace or dynamism meaning we can't compete in midfield.

At home we have the ball and teams don't press us as consistently so we are able to play our game. However away from home we see what this team needs in the long term.

We need a more physically dominant centre forward who can run in behind and link up play. We need more technical midfielders who have pace and power. We need more pace at centre back with better passing. We need more speed at full back.

This summer we could potentially get a lb, cb, rb, cm and a winger, but they have to be of the right physical profile. Forget people like Barella and Fornals. They lack pace, Nkunku makes more sense. Forget centre backs like Deligt, Konate makes more sense. Id seriously look at Joelinton or Marcus Thuram for a Welbeck replacement.

Most accurate summary I've seen in here. I would just add that they need to have Torreira's mentality of hunting the ball from people in possession. As a minimum requirement.

We don't do enough to take care of both sides of the game.

Everyone talks about tactics and systems as if the opposition will just let us pass the ball around them and the referee will make consistently fair decisions in ambiguous situations but it doesn't work like that.

Hexagon9

In a similar vein, what I find so disappointing is the lack of urgency and desire in the final 10 minutes or so. Any other side would be throwing the kitchen sink at the opposition goal when 1-0 down but we looked like we just didn’t care.

A truly dreadful performance.

Dregen57

They looked fatigue statistics tells were the team that runs the most distance , I fear we can have real problems in the run in hope not

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
When players like Mustafi, Xhaka, Guendouzi and Kolasinac regularly make our first 11, we should focus elsewhere than strikers.

Aguero, Kane and Salah have maybe 1-2 goals more than Aubameyang in the league, FFS, and these players cost you 100+ million in today's market.

When we have solved the defense, the midfield and the winger positions, added depth to the squad, and have an additional 100 million to improve on our strikers, we can discuss it. But when we added a new midfield and proper wingers, our striker will score even more goals and nobody will think about replacing them.
Whether it's the strikers, midfielders or wing backs, we still need to pay a tonne of money to buy new ones. I don't care where on the pitch we focus on, the fact is we struggle getting the ball forward at tough away grounds because of a lack of pace and technique.

Gursha

People underestimate the effects of elneny in the first half...

Imagine being an everton player, you got orders to press, Arsenal are bad away etc etc...

Then you come out and you just think about closing down elneny, and the ball instantly goes backwards... to the cb's then he hides behind you and order them to pass to the flanks, you press even farther and leno kicks the ball away.

Everything is working! our press destroys them! the crowd is roaring everytime i chase the ball!

Those kind of feelings are really hard to achieve, but i truely believe that elneny was the main reason we gave them the belief they can, and their crowd behind them, hard to break down.

No surprise the first few minutes in the second half we looked dangerous, suddenly, we play with a midfield.... suddenly the press didnt work!

But as soon as we failed a few times the reassurance got back.

I purley think the inclusion of this nothing player that is el neny was the main reason for the loss.

People will say Özil and the front guys didnt do anything, but when Özil needs to go to the half line to carry the ball, with elneny hiding behind players, all everton had to do is mark laca and auba/mikhi...

El neny cannot stay here next season, he offers literally nothing.
At the start of the match when i saw the line up i said - with that midfield we wont depend on playing football, only on individual brilliance, and that doesnt come every day, and it didnt yesterday...

Matteo is too young to lead a midfield duo... and El neny... well i think you got the point.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

One of the worst performances of the season. We're like Jekyll and Hyde when it comes to home and away performances. Having your 4th and 5th best CM's trying to start attacks isn't going to help. Then it honestly seemed like Lacazette was the only one taking any responsibility, Rambo tried when he came on but not much came off.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Until we relearn how to control games and just shut the opposition down, then we will have games like today.

But that's not down to just some players not being good enough, and I sincerely don't believe this team needs a super massive overhaul, but also down to the manager.

At this point you can't argue away some positives of the season, as I did earlier, but at the same time I completely share your perception that this team isn't settled at all. It's like when I said the unbeaten run last autumn was plastering over tactical problems and it would come to haunt us - and it did. For all the better results and the openness of the fight for Top 4, this team isn't tactically settled at all and that's still down to the manager. You yourself mentioned tracking runners somewhere else, and e.g. that's still a big problem along e.g. when Arsenal players take over opposition players as to not get dragged out of position. The heavy reliance on wingbacks in a 5221/5212 while not fully implementing a system that gets the best out of them is quite worrying, too. If you want to see a working, offensive 5221/5212/532 go and have a look at Eintracht Frankfurt. Through involvement and lateral movement of their forwards as well as an aggressive and incisive midfield along a very structured and targeted team press they consistently create space for their wingbacks to run into and have a go at the opposition. They batter teams with their wingbacks running at the opposition. In contrast, Emery's wingback system still feels like makeshift piecemeal. In core probelmatic areas of the Wenger era like overall defensive behaviour and coherence, offensive movement, attacking patterns, the use of time and space as well as limiting these two factors for the opposition side - I think it was also you who said even when Arsenal is having a good day, it looks like the opposition could drive a bus through our midfield - I just don't see essential progress.

Much much better fitness, more grit in big games, a vastly superior goalkeeper to last season, two great strikers, more often than not an additional CB in a back three and finally often just the individually superior quality to smaller teams are what's given us more points this season than last. I also wouldn't completely exclude the implosion of Sp**s and Mourinho's shenanigans at United as factors that opened up the race for Top 4.

The team completely lacked fight, Echo what mutedearth said above really. Douzies early yellow stopped him from begin able to be combative, but the whole team was so passive is was embarresing. We didnt earn the right to play at any point, Elneny and Douzie couldnt find Özil or Mhiki (who was so bad, he had a good few games and his completely lost his way again). The team completely lacked fight and vision. Thank god Lucas is coming back, Lets hope Xhaka is right behind him.

Oh_Snap

been writing some messages with on of the DAZN-Commentator of the game regarding their goal and i why they don't say it was a wrong call. apparently the foot just has to be on the line and not behind it. sent me this pic

HUYdEHPl.jpg

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
People underestimate the effects of elneny in the first half...

Imagine being an everton player, you got orders to press, Arsenal are bad away etc etc...

Then you come out and you just think about closing down elneny, and the ball instantly goes backwards... to the cb's then he hides behind you and order them to pass to the flanks, you press even farther and leno kicks the ball away.

Everything is working! our press destroys them! the crowd is roaring everytime i chase the ball!

Those kind of feelings are really hard to achieve, but i truely believe that elneny was the main reason we gave them the belief they can, and their crowd behind them, hard to break down.

No surprise the first few minutes in the second half we looked dangerous, suddenly, we play with a midfield.... suddenly the press didnt work!

But as soon as we failed a few times the reassurance got back.

I purley think the inclusion of this nothing player that is el neny was the main reason for the loss.

People will say Özil and the front guys didnt do anything, but when Özil needs to go to the half line to carry the ball, with elneny hiding behind players, all everton had to do is mark laca and auba/mikhi...

El neny cannot stay here next season, he offers literally nothing.
At the start of the match when i saw the line up i said - with that midfield we wont depend on playing football, only on individual brilliance, and that doesnt come every day, and it didnt yesterday...

Matteo is too young to lead a midfield duo... and El neny... well i think you got the point.

mateo wasnt better

blaze_of_glory

Breaks down our four most prolific passing combinations vs Everton's

Ours were:
1. Mustafi to Sokratis (18)
2. Leno to Mustafi (16)
3. Sokratis to Mustafi (14)
4. Sokratis to Monreal (12)

CMs didn't get on the ball or get the ball to the attacking players nearly enough, hence our struggle. Could see Özil dropping back a lot to try to help with this but didn't manage to make any meaningful difference. Meanwhile some of Everton's most prolific passing combos involved the likes of Richarlison and Bernard in attacking areas.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Could see Özil dropping back a lot to try to help with this but didn't manage to make any meaningful difference.

That's because he is supposed to get the ball from central midfield. If he or any of the three attacking players drop into central midfield in the 3221/3212 it leaves the team awfully thin up top. There's suddenly just not enough options up front. And those two who remain upfield are then easily put under pressure by the numerical superiority of the opposition defence, especially when the wingsbacks are also taken out of the game. Everton pressed the central midfield which was short on progressional players anyway, forced the ball out wide and then hounded the wingbacks for the ball. That basically cut off Arsenal's offense and isolated Lacazette as the ball could neither get up field from central nor from wing positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom