• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Finances

Iceman10

Established Member
Mystery solved:

Q) Where did the "£40m restricted transfer budget" come from?

A) "Arsenal Supporters Trust" (AST), where constant whinges every summer about restricted budgets, even if not accurate, gain attention, and suit their agenda. Lazy journalists such as John Cross then report their numbers as fact without noting the source.

https://untold-arsenal.com/archives/76339

[..]

They’ve probably picked up some new members, got a lot of publicity, and above all created a story themselves and persuaded the media to treat it as fact, so much that when the story was shown to be palpably untrue the Express still kept on supporting the AST figures. (Mind you they are always a bit slow at the Express).

It is in effect one of the most brilliant anti-Arsenal-management publicity stunts of recent years, and for that AST should be congratulated. They have bought themselves publicity that would have cost £millions in terms of advertising – and all by having one “economist” or “accountant” (depending on which report you read) give his version of what the Arsenal accounts mean. Then using the media to spin a story is clever – and to do it all the way through from the opening “Arsenal have £40m but are refusing to spend it” to “Arsenal have £40m and it is not enough” while getting people to believe it, is clever.

Although in truth the only people who have come out of this with credibility are Arsenal’s team of negotiators who have ignored them, and the one main supporters group that refused to be part of the hyperbole.

However we have all learned one thing. Next time AST tell us about some figures relating to Arsenal, and all the media go bonkers repeating these figures year after year, a certain amount of doubt might be in order.

(as explained above, we clearly have ability to spend well over £40m net this summer based on new commercial deals kicking in)

Last edited:

Fallout

from the outside looking in, there is only one thing an analyst can do: use the club's financial statements to calculate free cash flow that can be spent on transfers.

i did the numbers myself several pages back and also got to 45M for this summer. that value simply represents what we generated last season and assumes we spend it all on transfers (by the way, this has been the case for the prior two summers, though i havent gone back further than that).

how would i reconcile such a limited budget with the pepe rumors? there are several things the club can do to spend beyond the 45M. for example, they can draw down from the massive cash reserve, or they can spend money today in anticipation of receiving higher revenue from our new sponsorships. they can also sell players or limit other types of investment going forward.

the fact is, this is the first summer where gazidis is no longer at the club, and we have two new executives who would ostensibly like to make an impression to win over the fans. it wouldn't surprise me at all if they managed our finances more aggressively for a while -- there is flexibility to do that.

but, without any inside information re: management's plan, there is no way for an outside analyst to account for that kind of stuff.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

how would i reconcile such a limited budget with the pepe rumors? there are several things the club can do to spend beyond the 45M. for example, they can draw down from the massive cash reserve, or they can spend money today in anticipation of receiving higher revenue from our new sponsorships. they can also sell players or limit other types of investment going forward.

I think that's exactly what they're doing

Iceman10

Established Member
... maybe with some encouragement by Adidas, although I wouldn't take away from it being our new guys going less conservative, esp. as they are now using super-agents for key transfers (Pepe).

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Original source of the “40 million transfer budget” rumour has finally been revealed.....
606d03e9f5a803c5bf872924d5cf7ed4.jpeg

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Anyone knows the (approximate) wages Asano, Amaechi, Thompson and Nwakali were on? I reckon they are on about 20-25k? Based on Bielik's wages. Trying to make an excel overview.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Amazing what you can do on a £45m budget.....

38-F6-AB17-26-FB-4495-A50-A-602-B6-AE2-E733.jpg

Benge and the rest of the bellends are now trying to twist the figures to make it look like they were correct. Shameless.

Dutch D

Made a table of our transfer business.
Some of the wages are estimates.
Didn't bother with installments/amortisation.

Incoming Fee (£) Wages (£)
Martinelli 6 20
Tierney 25 75
Saliba 27 40
Ceballos 0 60
Pepe 72 140
Luiz 8 120
Total 138 455

Outgoing
Cech 0 100
Lichtsteiner 0 90
Ramsey 0 110
Welbeck 0 70
Ospina 4 40
Koscielny 4+1 90
Bennacer 4 0
Asano 1 30
Amaechi 2,5 15
Thompson 3 15
Bielik 9,5 20
Jenkinson 2 45
Nwakali 0 15
Iwobi 28+6 50

Total 58+7 690
Net 80 (73) -235

(edit: why doesn't the spacing work?)

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Made a table of our transfer business.
Some of the wages are estimates.
Didn't bother with installments/amortisation.

Incoming Fee (£) Wages (£)
Martinelli 6 20
Tierney 25 75
Saliba 27 40
Ceballos 0 60
Pepe 72 140
Luiz 8 120
Total 138 455

Outgoing
Cech 0 100
Lichtsteiner 0 90
Ramsey 0 110
Welbeck 0 70
Ospina 4 40
Koscielny 4+1 90
Bennacer 4 0
Asano 1 30
Amaechi 2,5 15
Thompson 3 15
Bielik 9,5 20
Jenkinson 2 45
Nwakali 0 15
Iwobi 28+6 50

Total 58+7 690
Net 80 (73) -235

(edit: why doesn't the spacing work?)

Great list which shows how well we have done. But I do think we paid a fee to Real to loan Ceballos.

Last edited:

Dutch D

What's the fee? Think I read something like £3m on this forum at some point, but haven't really seen it reported anywhere.

Also, looking at the BBC table our amount spent is closer to £160m, so there is a £20m gap with my calculations. What did I miss?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
What's the fee? Think I read something like £3m on this forum at some point, but haven't really seen it reported anywhere.

Also, looking at the BBC table our amount spent is closer to £160m, so there is a £20m gap with my calculations. What did I miss?
No we spent total 138m. But of course its installments so you looking on about 50M first payments in this summer budget

Dutch D

That’s the key right there...
Hopefully we'll add some more. Elneny is on £50k and Monreal and Kolasinac on £70k and £120k respectively. So looking at an £120k to £170k if we offload two of those. Mustafi can leave to, he's on £90k. Might potentially double those wages saved to ~£25m.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom