• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Barcelona vs Arsenal | August 4th | KO: 19:00 BST | Joan Gamper Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Nah, Douzi further forward would be disastrous. He'll eventually settle being the holding midfield player.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think a few fans have to leave AMN alone, yes he made a howler of a mistake, it was also on Leno a bit aswell I thought. AMN is a decent player & he had a fairly decent game otherwise, he's being played out of position aswell I feel, definitely more of a cm. He is only young & he will learn. He has his faults as does every player, no one is the perfect player, not even guys like Messi & Suarez are as much as they'd like to think they are probably.
He was having a really good game and had a decent preseason outside of getting hurt. Was such a cruel lapse of concentration (that Leno did not help IMO) but its something he has to cut down on a lot more. Especially if his future (unfortunately) is in a defensive position.

CJJ

Established Member
Where was Mustafi going just before the ball is played? He left all that space behind him for Suarez to run into. Where was he going?
I explained that. The RW barca player moved in the channel behind our midfield and between our LB and Mustafi.
Our LB can't follow because their RWB was so far ahead. Our midfield should stay within their zonal marking. The only option is for Mustafi to move up to ensure he can't turn if he receives the ball.
This leaves space as it should, but that is not Mustafi's fault. Rest is history. Its just a well executed goal. 9 out of 10 times that first timer fails.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Was it just me or did Mustafi turn his head, saw Suarez make the run, turned his had back and did nothing about it . Just let him run.

Xhaka is trash.

Gundeouzi has 0 position sense, you can tell he was an AM before. He ruins our whole defensive shape the way he runs around every single player that has the ball.

Willock is the real deal.

Mikhi is a pointless player, and I'm really scared that Unai seems to pick him every single game. What the hell dose he see in him?

Özil has been ok this pre-season, let's see how he will be - will he start with a vacation vs Newcastle? Or is it ok for him to play away from home now that it's still nice outside?

Auba is ready.

Chambers is not good enough to play for us, but we have to keep him this season.

Monreal is done, Kola is trash. We need a new left back, bad.

AMN is ok for now but we have to pray Bellerin comes back good.

Ceballos is a baller. He needs to start vs Newcastle.

Nelson should start before Mikhi at the weekend.

On Emery:

When he is blowing the kneecaps off the attack by starting both Mikhi and Özil. That makes us fall back on defense. Always good for inviting the opposition back into a game or a fixture. It's not even pragmatic, it's habitual. He's been like this at both PSG and Arsenal and it has done him zero favours.

Also, he can't fix our defense. The only way we will get better is if we bring in players that can do it alone. Also if we keep our position in the middle of the park and close the passing lanes, and track runners. So I'm sorry but Gundeouzi should not start a lot of games in the PL, not away from home that's for sure.

Under Emery we can never play well throughout a match, that's a bad habbit as well.

I have to say I don't like his pragmatic approach and the football he makes us play is horrible.

We are in for a long long season.

If we get a new left back and a new center back we have a chance at Top 4. If we don't get them it's done before it starts.
That’s a pretty good post. But I wouldn’t agree about Monreal that’s all. He’s a top left back (not CB though) and if we can another I’d keep him as an excellent back up in case of injury.

For me replacing Monreal is no where near as urgent as replacing a CB

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

He was having a really good game and had a decent preseason outside of getting hurt. Was such a cruel lapse of concentration (that Leno did not help IMO) but its something he has to cut down on a lot more. Especially if his future (unfortunately) is in a defensive position.
Unfortunately yes I don't think he will play in cm that much anymore so he will have to improve his defensive areas. I'm sure he & Leno will communicate better eventually. Who knows, maybe Leno told him he was there but didn't hear with all the crowd. Those mistakes can be cruel, especially as a youngster. If he can improve his positioning playing defensively I'd say he can be a decent backup wing back.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Anybody else feel AMN had a brilliant game until the OG?
Liked Ceballos.
Wasn't impressed with Xhaka. Looks a level below the rest.
Saka blew me away.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Anybody else feel AMN had a brilliant game until the OG?
Liked Ceballos.
Wasn't impressed with Xhaka. Looks a level below the rest.
Saka blew me away.

AMN had an excellent first half. But as we’ve seen so often, he has these shocking defensive lapses. In his position he needs to understand his errors could he extremely costly.

If he’s switched on for an entire 90 minutes, and eradicates the casualness, he’s some player.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

AMN had an excellent first half. But as we’ve seen so often, he has these shocking defensive lapses. In his position he needs to understand his errors could he extremely costly.

If he’s switched on for an entire 90 minutes, and eradicates the casualness, he’s some player.

Pretty much super ball control in the first half

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

100%... Was a real braindead moment. I was truly disappointed for him as well. Looked our best player in the first 30 mins.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Feel like he gets a lot more stick on here than is warranted. Compared to say two years ago when he wasn’t even sure he’d make it here he’s come on leaps and bounds.

Not worried at all now when I see him in the starting XI, guy’s going places.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Anyone noticed how narrow our shape was last night? Think I saw a hint of it against Bayern and Madrid but last night it was very stark. Clearly an approach we're working on for the season

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Anyone noticed how narrow our shape was last night? Think I saw a hint of it against Bayern and Madrid but last night it was very stark. Clearly an approach we're working on for the season
I actually did notice this but missed the opther games so didn't think anything of it. Barce pressed quite well and I was thinking this may be a result. Hearing the same for the toher games changes it a bit.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
I explained that. The RW barca player moved in the channel behind our midfield and between our LB and Mustafi.
Our LB can't follow because their RWB was so far ahead. Our midfield should stay within their zonal marking. The only option is for Mustafi to move up to ensure he can't turn if he receives the ball.
This leaves space as it should, but that is not Mustafi's fault. Rest is history. Its just a well executed goal. 9 out of 10 times that first timer fails.
There was a player in Chambers' channel too but he didnt move towards him

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I've only seen the highlights, unfortunately the result was not good.
I think the result could have quite easily been a a win for us had AMN not scored the own OG, but the performance was more of a concern than the actual result. Still, we have some great talent still to be unleashed, at least one other to arrive and a couple defenders returning from injury, so the team, if not the performances, will change significantly soon enough.

CJJ

Established Member
There was a player in Chambers' channel too but he didnt move towards him
He should not. The game was in the right hand side with a right footed player. AMN had plenty of time to cover, which is exactly what he did.
This frees up Chambers to cover for Mustafi.

See here. This is what should have happened.
cover-me.jpg

Instead, Chambers moved towards AMN's man for a second so he got to the interception late + Suarez does an insane first timer. Not much to do here, and its certainly not Mustafi's fault.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
He should not. The game was in the right hand side with a right footed player. AMN had plenty of time to cover, which is exactly what he did.

cover-me.jpg

Instead, Chambers moved towards AMN's man for a second so he got to the interception late + Suarez does an insane first timer. Not much to do here, and its certainly not Mustafi's fault.
Can actually see Mustafi gesturing to Chambers to pick up Suarez. Well pointed out..

gunner4lyfe

Established Member

cover-me.jpg

Or. Mustafi should have held his position and there wouldn't have been a pass. Also he is looking directly at Suarez in this pic and STILL decided to go forward. Passing his duty on to someone else as usual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom