• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman10

Established Member
I'd forgotten about the Özil salary as financial albatross take. Seemed possible at one time, but well....

I don't see this as a great counterargument. Wages off the books increases the transfer budget, no matter how much we have spent. As it is we had to be imaginative with deferred payments, but those will have to be paid down the line.

Josh Kroenke himself made the point about us being a club paying CL wages while stuck in the EL (for now). If it comes to next summer and we haven't qualified for the CL again I wouldn't rule out the "financial albatross" argument anyway.

There are reasons why Liverpool and Sp**s have leapfrogged us (for now), and we have to learn from them (imo). At minimum we have to make progress with getting Mkhi off our books asap.

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
No
The narrative up until this summer transfer window was that Özil’s salary was keeping us from making big signings. We’ve now spent over 100m this summer proving all the people who bought the stories from the media wrong (unless he leaves before the transfer windows are closed in other countries ofc).

Not sure you where you’ve got all that other stuff from though. Probably making things up to get angry about once again.
No it wasn't. That's a classic strawman. You may have read a few people say it probably wasn't helping the situation, but you're speaking like it was the general consensus, which is obviously rubbish.

The was also a narrative that we couldn't get rid of him because we had no money to replace him with adequate quality, so we may as well keep him.

If there was any strong narrative regarding our ability to spend, it was that Kroenke wasn't going to free up the cash. So it's you who's making stuff up to get angry about, if anyone is.

Anyhow, I'm sure you saw the club spending lots of money... Feel free to quote yourself telling everyone.

Oh, you still didn't explain how us spending elsewhere justifies his £350k a week. It still seems to me like you think spending £100m buys Özil another few seasons of mediocrity.

blaze_of_glory

I don't see this as a great counterargument. Wages off the books increases the transfer budget, no matter how much we have spent. As it is we had to be imaginative with deferred payments, but those will have to be paid down the line.

Josh Kroenke himself made the point about us being a club paying CL wages while stuck in the EL (for now). If it comes to next summer and we haven't qualified for the CL again I wouldn't rule out the "financial albatross" argument anyway.

There are reasons why Liverpool and Sp**s have leapfrogged us (for now), and we have to learn from them (imo). At minimum we have to make progress with getting Mkhi off our books asap.
Sure, but Özil will kill it this year so no worries.

Iceman10

Established Member
Sure, but Özil will kill it this year so no worries.

:lol: Well at least the counterargument of our spend this summer (Raul's wizardry with installments, etc., with Iwobi sold albeit for a good price) is taken off the table here.

I don't know how Özil will perform this season. All I have is hope for a player still at the club and someone difficult to offload even *if* Raul et al. wanted to. At least you've gone in hard with a prediction. :D

blaze_of_glory

:lol: Well at least the counterargument of our spend this summer (Raul's wizardry with installments, etc., with Iwobi sold albeit for a good price) is taken off the table here.

I don't know how Özil will perform this season. All I have is hope for a player still at the club and someone difficult to offload even *if* Raul et al. wanted to. At least you've gone in hard with a prediction. :D
I may live to regret it, but it wouldn't be the first time. ;)

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
No it wasn't. That's a classic strawman. You may have read a few people say it probably wasn't helping the situation, but you're speaking like it was the general consensus, which is obviously rubbish.

The was also a narrative that we couldn't get rid of him because we had no money to replace him with adequate quality, so we may as well keep him.

If there was any strong narrative regarding our ability to spend, it was that Kroenke wasn't going to free up the cash. So it's you who's making stuff up to get angry about, if anyone is.

Anyhow, I'm sure you saw the club spending lots of money... Feel free to quote yourself telling everyone.

Oh, you still didn't explain how us spending elsewhere justifies his £350k a week. It still seems to me like you think spending £100m buys Özil another few seasons of mediocrity.
Yes it definitely was the consensus within his detractors. Maybe you’re unaware of it but he’s been scapegoated for being the reason why Ramsey didn’t sign a contract and why we couldn’t make big signings this summer on here and on social media.

Never heard anyone but Wenger say that so I have to assume it’s your vivid imagination that is at play here again I’m afraid.

I’m definitely not the one making stuff up here since I’m not even the one who brought this up in the first place :lol:. Go argue with @Oh_Snap if you’re bored.

You’re (once again) demanding that I argue for opinions that you’ve projected onto me, I’m not explaining shït to you. Troll somewhere else please

Last edited:

Nyctophobia

Established Member
As much as I've been fed up with him the last few years, I haven't seen Mesut look as good as he did during the pre-season since 2014, and I don't think he's going to have two god-awful seasons in a row, if he doesn't leave later on I think he'll play well this year, I hope so at least, I'm tired of being angry at our own players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom