• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Big Arsenal Interview - BBC Sport

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Impressive interview tbh. Says all the right things.

We’ll need to see how it all plays out - actions not words etc - but at least Josh seems to be stepping his involvement in the club.
He also seems to know what is needed so there is no excuse for failure now. This interview has served two purposes. Assuming responsibility and advising fans indirectly they are upping the ante to ensure that responsibility is upheld in good faith.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Not sure about the Kroenke family putting money in, I posted in Arsenal Finances a couple of weeks ago, Swiss Ramble thinks our Gross spend was £46m + 1st years wages takes it to about £70m, then we have sales (we don't get all upfront) brings it back down to below our suggested budget of £45m.

I think the "instruments" that Josh talks about are Rauls ability to get players on instalments, its not new we've been doing it for a while and as I said Everton bought Iwobi in the same way.

I do think however that Josh is good for the club, I posted about him when the window first opened and I now feel justified in my backing of him. Anyone with an ounce of enthusiasm has to be better than Stan. I hope to see Josh attending more games, I think he's getting the Arsenal bug!

ClubLevel

I don't think any money has been put into the club. I think what he is saying is that we won't disclose details or budgets or how we do deals. Probably more to protect us in future windows. I doubt he would come out and say 'We've got £10m left in the bank'.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Not sure about the Kroenke family putting money in, I posted in Arsenal Finances a couple of weeks ago, Swiss Ramble thinks our Gross spend was £46m + 1st years wages takes it to about £70m, then we have sales (we don't get all upfront) brings it back down to below our suggested budget of £45m.

I think the "instruments" that Josh talks about are Rauls ability to get players on instalments, its not new we've been doing it for a while and as I said Everton bought Iwobi in the same way.

I do think however that Josh is good for the club, I posted about him when the window first opened and I now feel justified in my backing of him. Anyone with an ounce of enthusiasm has to be better than Stan. I hope to see Josh attending more games, I think he's getting the Arsenal bug!

Think you cannot count in Iwobi into any equation. Out of nowhere and purely opportunistic due to the good offer.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Think you cannot count in Iwobi into any equation. Out of nowhere and purely opportunistic due to the good offer.

Regardless of whether it was planned or not, the fact remains we sold him and therefore he's part of the financial calculation, whatever the 1st payment from Everton was, counts! I wasn't surprised we sold him and don't feel it was out of nowhere.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Where's the part of 'approach to the January market' ? Maybe I'm just blind :facepalm:

'As for January, I don't want to get ahead of ourselves. We’ve got to evaluate some things in the short term and figure out where we might need to address areas going forward, so when January does roll around we’re going to be proactive again.'

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I find it interesting him referencing their other teams especially the one that made the super bowl, The Rams.

The article below is interesting in that context referencing an aggressive approach to recruitment which culminated in them reaching the super bowl. An aggressive approach to retaining players and also a very early prediction that Emery expected substantial funds.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...an-kroenke-new-england-patriots-a8750896.html

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

When I first starting reading it I genuinely thought, what a load of sh*t, same about the things he mentions about his dad, can't tell if he's just saying that to cover or it's genuine.

In terms of the injection of cash, it has always puzzled me how we had a CL window in the position we are in, regardless of Raul's contacts. It's possible but then maybe Raul really is the magician we think.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

How could you not count Iwobi. We know that clubs use agents to buy players and also to sell players. We have no way of knowing for certain but i strongly suspect the club were making others aware Iwobi was available.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Also seen a lot of people complaining about him 'missing the point' over the we care do you statement, as he thinks it's solely about transfers.

But that statement was so hard to understand exactly what they want and from Joshes perspective he must think it's obvious that he does and the fans just want more money spent.

remains

Remember that Gazidis promised fans the world a few years ago and I genuinely thought the Emirates Era was coming into fruition. We all know how that turned out.

The difference here is that we have just come off the back of an excellent transfer window (by Arsenal standards at least). That gives me more inclination to give Josh the benefit of the doubt. Also our signings this summer have been young promising talents in positions we desperately needed to upgrade (Luiz aside, who is a short term solution).

This gives me confidence that this window was the beginning of a long term plan where we continue to address the areas of weakness in the squad, as like it or not we need all our summers to be of this standard until we get back to the top.

There is a different feeling now to when we slapped £45 mil on Özil. Even at the time people questioned our need for a playmaker and in hindsight it seems more like a big signing made to appease the fans who were all calling out for investment in the team.

Anyway, all the right noises are being made by the club, let’s see how ambitious they really are over the next few years.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Apologies if I'm way off the mark, but is it possible that now the Kroenkes have sole ownership they can inject cash without declaring it, whilst before it would have had to be declared?

and if so, it could go the other way - they could take out cash without declaring it?

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

45M budget was just bullshit, Iwobi last minute sale was not planned.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

You don't know the real answer to either of those statements. The fact our Gross spend was £46m could just be a coincidence but the fact it wasn't a lot more suggests there was some truth to the £45m rumour.

razörist

You don't know the real answer to either of those statements. The fact our Gross spend was £46m could just be a coincidence but the fact it wasn't a lot more suggests there was some truth to the £45m rumour.
You know **** all either, that amount was in the media for months, Everton came in for Iwobi in the last days of the window. We did not invent installments, suddenly everything was framed to fit the 45M budget.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Any evidence for this?

As i can remember articles from last season, across January and in the summer saying Iwobi may be sold or involved in a swap for Zaha.

Everything indicates that it was always in the plan to let Iwobi leave just a question of when not if.

razörist

Any evidence for this?

As i can remember articles from last season, across January and in the summer saying Iwobi may be sold or involved in a swap for Zaha.

Everything indicates that it was always in the plan to let Iwobi leave just a question of when not if.
Any confirmation on the 45M budget? Like Iwobi transfer, it looks like paper talk.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
You know **** all either, that amount was in the media for months, Everton came in for Iwobi in the last days of the window. We did not invent installments, suddenly everything was framed to fit the 45M budget.

I'm quoting Swiss Rambles figures and he knows more than both of us! Also if you'd bothered to read my posts on this thread you would see I said instalments aren't new. Yes Everton came in late in the window but that doesn't mean we hadn't been sounding out clubs of his availability.

Notice I managed to reply without swearing at you! :)

Latest posts+

Top Bottom