• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Liverpool vs Arsenal | Saturday, 17:30 BST | Sky Sports

What is your predicted result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

The result could have been 2 2 and it wouldn't have been a shock result. The brain farts cost us.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Eh? Our performance could easily have got us a point here.
The players on the pitch perhaps. They were set up to fail. Yes Auba and Pepe could have been more clinical but it's not like Liverpool were really at their best either today. Emery played right into their hands, Klopp adjusted at halftime to kill the game off and Emery did little more than Bolsonaro is doing about the Amazon burning.

Iceman10

Established Member
Missed most of the match unfortunately, will have to watch a recording shortly. We don't have players to match-up yet, and new players have to bed in, but looks like we were still short on tactics, shape, etc. also.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I don’t think Emery got it wrong, as others have said a bit tidier and we probably get a goal or two.

Looking forward to Sp**s.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Nothing-to-See-15a34a2fc727c8.jpg

ptrcopp

I have the same criticism from the first two weeks: we are so slow in attack. We conceded possession too cheaply for e penalty and goal 3. But importantly when we played direct we looked liked we could score. We did this best in the first half, especially through Pepe. If we had done this more we could have caused more problems. We should have caused more.

Klopp is right "They didn't attack, really".

This for me is disappointing because of the manner we conceded the goals. They were all individual errors. The youngsters weren't great but the errors came from the most senior players in the squad.

Jasard

Missed most of the match unfortunately, will have to watch a recording shortly. We don't have players to match-up yet, and new players have to bed in, but looks like we were still short on tactics, shape, etc. also.

Sums it up yeah

Ashybashy86

Chambers would have got destroyed today.

I don’t see how he’d make a difference. Some people are clutching at straws.

The problem was the coward tactics not the individuals.
Veteran Luiz made a stupid mistake that had it been Mustafi, well...

I think Chambers doesn’t get enough credit. He’s good in the air and on the ball. He’s just not fast enough.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Do you feel like he tried to win today? We defended the whole game. We didn't do nothing. Emery is the one to blame.
He tried to counter attack them by ceding the wings and playing long balls into the channel. Percentage football. Wasmt pretty but we created chances in that first half. Now, I would have done things slightly differently but the gameplan was working OK until Matips header. They had no real clear cut chances whereas we had a couple very good ones we did not take. Had we taken them, narrative would be very different.

Listen, I'm not enamored by Emerys conservatism most times but I don't blame him for setting us up the way he did today against Liverpool. If we set up like this against a team like Villa or Bournemouth, then I'll be right here with you agreeing.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Damn I thought with super tactician Emery this year we would be invencibles again... this is shocking me! Really! What a surprise, but zero fault Emery, he is a genius!
This squad will be less successful than it should be because it has an idiot managing it. Even without our first choice LB and RB there was enough there to be competitive but Count Chocula thinks he should experiment against the European Champions. If you're going to set up in a timid formation against a team that plays wide then you don't do it by playing narrow. If Lacazette had started we'd have been much more dangerous on the counter and really lost nothing in defense as the fullbacks would have been too busy contending with Auba and Pepe to be standing in acres of space free to cross to their hearts content literally ever time Liverpool had possession. Truly shocking tactics from Emery compounded by a reticence to do the one thing he's usually good at which is be proactive with substitutions. Pitiful "managing".
Top post.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We setup to counter and nearly pulled it off. But we didn’t take our chances and eventually conceded under pressure after 40 minutes.
Spot on.

Emery’s game plan could easily have come off if Auba and Pepe had taken their chances and Luiz hadn’t so blantantly tugged a shirt.

A manager lives by fine margins. Blaming Emery is just frustration.

Jasard

I don’t think Emery got it wrong, as others have said a bit tidier and we probably get a goal or two.

Looking forward to Sp**s.

On a bit more reflection I'd say he got it wrong just enough to cost us. I get what he was going for and it worked for a while. Xhaka being his go to CM is a joke. He should have made subs 15 mins earlier at least. Think he stalled in his decision making and you can argue its because Luiz threw two massive spanners in the machine, the tool.

Impact

Established Member
We were beaten by the best side in Europe at full strength. We had our first choice RB, LB and probably CB out too. Started with 3 players 21 and under, plus we gave a full debut to a new player. Have some perspective.

Emery had a game plan. Had Aubameyang taken the chance after Adrian's mistake or Pépé finished his one-on-one, it could have been a different game. We conceded a good goal from a set-piece, a penalty after a bit of magic and another after a piece of individual brilliance from one of the world's best players. We then demonstrated strong character to come back into the game to get a consolation goal.

Obviously, I am disappointed that we lost but if we consider this match in a wider context, there were signs to be encouraged by.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

On a bit more reflection I'd say he got it wrong just enough to cost us. I get what he was going for and it worked for a while. Xhaka being his go to CM is a joke. He should have made subs 15 mins earlier at least. Think he stalled in his decision making and you can argue its because Luiz threw two massive spanners in the machine, the tool.

Xhaka was an awful decision, bad player in general.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Top posting mate. That midfield is the one we should have gone with today. I feel we could have matched Liverpool in the middle of the park, then it would just be down to our attack to win the game for us. Laca should have started also.
We don't have the quality in midfield to pass them off the park, so a tenacious, mobile midfield may have been our best bet. Doozy and Xhaka don't have the incisiveness in their passing to be much effective in games like these.

I agree with Laca starting as well. Should have went one less midfielder and played Pepe, Auba, and Laca. Or if we were going to sit back, perhaps play a back five with AMN, Sok, Luiz, Chambers, and Nacho/maybe Kola (for width).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Benjamin Šeško’s agent confirms interest from English and Italian clubs, adding that he is not interested in moving to Saudi Arabia [Evening Standard]

Arsenal have sent scouts to watch Benfica midfielder Joao Neves multiple times [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have joined Manchester United in the race to sign Rennes’ 18 year old attacking midfielder Desire Doue [Ouest-France]

Latest posts

Top Bottom