• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Liverpool vs Arsenal | Saturday, 17:30 BST | Sky Sports

What is your predicted result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Watching highlights this morning with a cool head, there’s no doubting that Emery had a decent game plan in my mind.

What is obvious is that we are still very much work in progress. Whilst Luiz is an improvement on Mustafi, he’s prone to mistakes. Add that to the hot head of Sokratis and you have accidents waiting to happen in most games.

But the up side is that United and Chelsea are all over the place, so top 4 should be straight forward this year.

teamsoutheast

Emery failed to learn from his last season's experience.
The set up was wrong and starting personnel wrong. And how many times have we said Aubameyang up front on his own is not a good idea?
If you're going to play only one of Auba or Laca, play Laca. In games like yesterday's, start both.
Also what's it with playing from the back given that we're yet to master it?

What on earth are you on about. We played 4-3-1-2??????

We were never going to win with that team. We only just managed to beat a horrendous Newcastle side and scraped past Burnley.

Torreira needs to start, bellerin and Tierney can't come back fast enough

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The longer Tierney stays out of the team the higher he will rise in the Arsenal fans' estimation. We love a good "king over the water". Once he plays he will be one-footed, hot-headed, useless, waste of space etc etc etc

teamsoutheast

I watched the game again and here are my observations. Setup seemed OK to be begin with. I could see the plan was to try and hit them on the break at pace, however, you NEED TO BE ORGANISED and have players who are tactically drilled. We just don't have that. We moved the ball waaaay to slow to cause Liverpool any problems and we did not get anywhere near tight enough to them when they had the ball. We lacked aggression defensively and the press was very -half hearted. IMO, you must suffocate Liverpool and not let them play. For Salah's goal, our structural shape was atrocious. A ball like that should not bypass our midfield so easily. We really need to be better without the ball all over the park and press more aggressively than we did. Also need to move the ball alot quicker than we do currently. Build up is waaaay too slowto cause the bigger teams any damage.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I watched the game again and here are my observations. Setup seemed OK to be begin with. I could see the plan was to try and hit them on the break at pace, however, you NEED TO BE ORGANISED and have players who are tactically drilled. We just don't have that. We moved the ball waaaay to slow to cause Liverpool any problems and we did not get anywhere near tight enough to them when they had the ball. We lacked aggression defensively and the press was very -half hearted. IMO, you must suffocate Liverpool and not let them play. For Salah's goal, our structural shape was atrocious. A ball like that should not bypass our midfield so easily. We really need to be better without the ball all over the park and press more aggressively than we did. Also need to move the ball alot quicker than we do currently. Build up is waaaay too slowto cause the bigger teams any damage.
We actually had the better chances up until the 1st goal went in. Auba's lob, Pepe's curler and the 1 on 1. Liverpool only had a Salah sliced attempt IIRC. It's not the starting lineup that bothered me that much, it's the non-reaction at HT to react to the goal. Being pro-active is one of Emery's trademarks and he kinda froze.

Gursha

Did Xhaka ever had a good game against a good pressing team? He is so one footed and slow to establish himself on the ball he can only one touch it back and invite more pressure...

He is a midfield general when we face lower oppositions where he can get the ball, establish himself and raise his head without quality pressure, then his distribution makes him a great player.

People saying he was ok on the basis of that he didnt make a mistake, but is that enough? did he make any press breaking pass? did he dribble passed the pressing? even once? no. He was basically reduced to an elneny level of effectiveness when you press him properly...

Other than that... I think our tactics is so reliant on our full backs... and today both didnt deliver... our build up from the back got stuck at the full backs and Xhaka time and time again, none was willing to take responsibility and break the pressure, it takes guts, vision and quality, and yes its risky, but when you pull that move you can cancel 4-5 players with one or two passes... but our players looked shook... the press was super effective and professional, we just didnt have the quality to deal with it ....when Bellerin and Tierney will be fit we can really start building from the back... but monreal is too casual and safe and niles produces moment of brilliance every 2-3 awful dispossession/criminally nonchalant misplaced passes.

End of the day, We got dominated, didnt manage to play from the back, got outplayed totally.
But for some reason that defeat felt different... we have players that will improve... our direction is good, I dont expect instant success... its till weird to get so dominated but still feel hope...

The better team won. I only wonder if in 3 years time we will look and be feared like liverpool are now, the amount of confidence every player had was astonishing... only time will tell.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Did Xhaka ever had a good game against a good pressing team? He is so one footed and slow to establish himself on the ball he can only one touch it back and invite more pressure...

He is a midfield general when we face lower oppositions where he can get the ball, establish himself and raise his head without quality pressure, then his distribution makes him a great player.

People saying he was ok on the basis of that he didnt make a mistake, but is that enough? did he make any press breaking pass? did he dribble passed the pressing? even once? no. He was basically reduced to an elneny level of effectiveness when you press him properly...

Other than that... I think our tactics is so reliant on our full backs... and today both didnt deliver... our build up from the back got stuck at the full backs and Xhaka time and time again, none was willing to take responsibility and break the pressure, it takes guts, vision and quality, and yes its risky, but when you pull that move you can cancel 4-5 players with one or two passes... but our players looked shook... the press was super effective and professional, we just didnt have the quality to deal with it ....when Bellerin and Tierney will be fit we can really start building from the back... but monreal is too casual and safe and niles produces moment of brilliance every 2-3 awful dispossession/criminally nonchalant misplaced passes.

End of the day, We got dominated, didnt manage to play from the back, got outplayed totally.
But for some reason that defeat felt different... we have players that will improve... our direction is good, I dont expect instant success... its till weird to get so dominated but still feel hope...

The better team won. I only wonder if in 3 years time we will look and be feared like liverpool are now, the amount of confidence every player had was astonishing... only time will tell.
He has better games against the big teams at home because they sit back a bit more = more time on the ball. Away from home he's pants regardless of the opposition.

Finesse

Liverpool are indeed are very good side. Well drilled and effective in transition. However we have to ask many questions about our game. It is not about the result but the performance. We didn’t go there to pay respect to Liverpool. We had or own Arsenal. What happened to it. How many times did we successfully play out of defence after countless attempts? How many times did we attempt to play out of defence and lose possession in our own half resulting to a chance for Liverpool ? Same against Burnley...all the teams are drilling on how to start pressing us going forward. We keep giving chances to our opponents. You can see the chance coming as soon as Leno initiates it.

Can anyone recall any of our full backs putting in a cross or a dangerous ball into their box? To all those who said what if Auba and Pepe took their chance , I will tell them what if the chances Liverpool had were taken too !

We need to look into the way we are set up as a team to the best of our abilities. Emery’s midfield must have an identity. What is it really? It’s not just picking 3 players who trained well over the week. It should have a system and the right players should be picked to fit it. This summer any links to Milner , Henderson or Wilnaljum would have been frowned at by the faithful. However these are not household names asked to fit into a midfield system and they fit effectively. Even when Milner came on yesterday you know exactly what he is coming to do in that midfield system. That’s what we ask of Emery. A structure to our team and not a player to come and save it.

In the last 2 games our best players have been new players. It is worrying. No matter how we gloss over it.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Some of you lot just don’t understand tactics. What did you expect that we’ll come to Anfield and go toe to toe with them??

I was pleased with the first half. For the first time after god know how long we looked like a team with a clearly defined plan that was well executed on the pitch. We frustrated them for long periods and had better goalscoring chances. Individual mistakes cost us again and we conceded two very soft goals. At the top of the game this are the fine margins that decide the outcome.

One thing that really stood out for me was the combative display we showed. Can’t remember when was the last time I saw so many players putting their bodies on the line, throwing themselves for a block. Even after 3 goals down we tried to make something happen and I’m pleased our efforts were at least rewarded by a goal.

We’re clearly a team that is still in a transition period trying to establish identity and style. This season is all about breaking back into CL places and building a coherent squad that knows how to execute in game plans/tactics.

Gursha

Some of you lot just don’t understand tactics. What did you expect that we’ll come to Anfield and go toe to toe with them??

I was pleased with the first half. For the first time after god know how long we looked like a team with a clearly defined plan that was well executed on the pitch. We frustrated them for long periods and had better goalscoring chances. Individual mistakes cost us again and we conceded two very soft goals. At the top of the game this are the fine margins that decide the outcome.

One thing that really stood out for me was the combative display we showed. Can’t remember when was the last time I saw so many players putting their bodies on the line, throwing themselves for a block. Even after 3 goals down we tried to make something happen and I’m pleased our efforts were at least rewarded by a goal.

We’re clearly a team that is still in a transition period trying to establish identity and style. This season is all about breaking back into CL places and building a coherent squad that knows how to execute in game plans/tactics.

I think you choose to see only the positives and there were positives.
but you clearly ignore the worrying signs.

Clearly defined plan? absolutely agree, out of possession - sit back and observe pressure - done relatively well.
in possession - Play from the back - awful execution... I think we didnt manage to break the pressure from the back even once this game, and thats because we didnt have the quality in the full backs and midfield to connect our defense with our offensive players.
We move the ball to the full back and xhaka, and none of them did anything positive to play from the back... only resulting in a safe pass back and inviting more pressure till we hoofed forward at best, lost it at worst...

The tactics are there, game plan is there, even the attempts are there! which is good, they listen to the game plan... but the execution? the players just arent good enough...

We need to wait for Bellerin and Tierney to really see if we can play from the back efficiently ( the game we did it perfectly was the one vs chelsea when Bellerin got injured... that was play from the back by the book)

The White Pelè

Human Highlight Reel
Still not good enough, but the fact we finally had a gameplan going to Anfield is good. Clearly, if you are still rusty are missing some key players it's only going to work partially like it happened yesterday.

We lost against a team unbeaten in 2 years at Anfield. Not a shame.

say yes

forum master baiter

Spot on.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I think you choose to see only the positives and there were positives.
but you clearly ignore the worrying signs.

Clearly defined plan? absolutely agree, out of possession - sit back and observe pressure - done relatively well.
in possession - Play from the back - awful execution... I think we didnt manage to break the pressure from the back even once this game, and thats because we didnt have the quality in the full backs and midfield to connect our defense with our offensive players.
We move the ball to the full back and xhaka, and none of them did anything positive to play from the back... only resulting in a safe pass back and inviting more pressure till we hoofed forward at best, lost it at worst...

The tactics are there, game plan is there, even the attempts are there! which is good, they listen to the game plan... but the execution? the players just arent good enough...

We need to wait for Bellerin and Tierney to really see if we can play from the back efficiently ( the game we did it perfectly was the one vs chelsea when Bellerin got injured... that was play from the back by the book)

Obviously I'm concentrating on the positives because this thread is filled with negativity and over the top reactions.

We had a couple of bright passages of play and we did break their press on numerous occasions albeit with very risky moves. The Guendouzi pass between Salah and Firmino, for example, broke their first line of press but it could have easily resulted in a goalscoring chance as it was a very risky play.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

It still looked like a game where we could get something until 49 minutes when Luiz (not Mustafi) gave away an unnecessary penalty.

IIRC Salah had him cooked and most likely would have scored barring a top drawer save from Leno. Although I take your point - the shirt pull was highly stupid.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Yeah well I'm pleased I missed the game, imo its time for Emery to head all of sudden, I was happy for him this year but I think this game did it for me. Why does he leave 2 of our best players on the bench until it's to late anyway? (Lacazette & Torreira.) Then he leaves them way to late in the end. That decision did my head in.

Malky

Established Member
Reading through RAWK and the scousers are more deluded than ever. We were never in the game, never had a sniff of goal and apparently Van Dijk was only toying with Pepe so he could put him in his place later on in the game and " show him for the young player he is "... ****ing hell, Van Dijk and Robertson were getting turned upside down by Pepe in the first half.
With Bellerin and Tierney back I seriously hope they're given a reality check when they come to the Emirates, even better if we're the ones who could cost them the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom