• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rate the Transfer Window 19/20 edition

How would you rate our transfer business on a scale from 1-10?

• Total voters

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Yeah that’s fair, I’d like a Shaqiri at Liverpool type option coming in January.

Someone who can give you a bit of spark off the bench or can start the odd game here and there.

Fraser ordered blocking our youth's path. :drool: ;) :lol:

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

8/10 for most reasons already stated.

For the first time in a long time I feel we are finally moving full steam in the right direction.

Hopefully unai sorts himself out

drippin

Odds on @razörist meltdown before Christmas anyone?

Burnout & meltdown combination too probable for betting companies to even put up the bet.

Eventhough do we even have 3 defensive midfielders? Chambers doesn't count as he is saved as CB backup I think, we cannot risk Mustafi being at bench if someone is injured. Bad energy even sitting there.

It is good for an Arsenal window but i`ll still give it a 5... Where is the defenders that we should have bought?
We had aweful defending last year and still bought only 1 potenially good defender in Tierney
Luis is not that good he is a cheap way to fill the gaping holes in the back only, same as Sokratis was

For sales it is good that we finally have started to get rid of some players that isnt good enough, but we have plenty of them left with high wages to be a bump in the road...

Hoping for January but it might be to late already then..

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

8/10 for me. Got some good additions in and rid of a lot of dross. Would have kept Nacho until January as we don't know if Tierney is going to come back and not break down.

At the start of the window we were linked with Fraser and Carrasco and it was all doom and gloom with us trying to justify to ourselves how they could do a job. To end up with Pepe and Ceballos is :drool:

Mustafi though.... I can't blame anyone but him for the fact that he's still here. He just won't flush.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
I think some people need a refresher...we lost steam in the league and failed to reach top 4 then we put in a limp performance and lost to an already CL qualified Chelsea. Stories 40m budget getting churned out each and every day and people wondered what the hell we’d do without Ramsey...

The club then signed a attacker who get you up out of your seat who was pegged to join on of the big boys but then Arsenal ‘knocked’ and smashed their transfer record/paid a fee within the top 5 all time by a PL club for a player, signed a top end LB, as well as a top CB prospect and then went on and loaned a baller from Real ****ing Madrid. On top of that the club/Raul and co then went and moved on some cast offs in Elneny, Jenkinson and Mhki.

Take a step back and remember the context and this window is/was nothing short of a 11/10 as NOBODY at supporter level saw this coming. Seriously think back and remember all the work you thought we had to do with the squad at FT in Baku, but with no CL draw or money and then really think about what was done in one window....madness.

drippin

I think some people need a refresher...we lost steam in the league and failed to reach top 4 then we put in a limp performance and lost to an already CL qualified Chelsea. Stories 40m budget getting churned out each and every day and people wondered what the hell we’d do without Ramsey...

The club then signed a attacker who get you up out of your seat who was pegged to join on of the big boys but then Arsenal ‘knocked’ and smashed their transfer record/paid a fee within the top 5 all time by a PL club for a player, signed a top end LB, as well as a top CB prospect and then went on and loaned a baller from Real ****ing Madrid. On top of that the club/Raul and co then went and moved on some cast offs in Elneny, Jenkinson and Mhki.

Take a step back and remember the context and this window is/was nothing short of a 11/10 as NOBODY at supporter level saw this coming. Seriously think back and remember all the work you thought we had to do with the squad at FT in Baku, but with no CL draw or money and then really think about what was done in one window....madness.

This is what I meant with when thinking about what to compare to. For me giving 10 would need Upamecano transfer or similar CB this window, or Mustafi out. They clearly tried though.

But it seems for some people to give even 9 it would need all these transfers in & out, plus Zaha & Upamecano, plus Mustafi out. Even without UCL.

That is very unrealistic.

Swallow

For me, this is a 9/10 window mainly because I did not anticipate the level of business we did. There are improvements still to be made but we have to acknowledge that it would have been crazy to overhaul the entire playing body in one window.

For those complaining about the defense, I think that those in charge acted taking into consideration a few factors. Firstly, we have promising players recovering from injury. Both Holding (for left CD) and Mavropanos (for right CD) have the potential to do well. Hence this season will be used to evaluate their progress. If they do well we will have four centre-backs in Saliba, Holding, Mavropanos and Chambers who will be a great mix for the foreseeable future. Luiz and Papa will allow us to integrate them slowly. We then will have to focus on improving both the full-back positions. Mustafi will definitely go.

In midfield, we are covered if we could make Ceballos permanent. The one improvement I personally would make, apart from shifting Xhaka, would be to replace Toreira with Ibrahim Sangare from Toulouse. That would significantly increase the height of our defense. For the strikers, a very good left winger would have lifted our front line to elite level, but again there are youngsters we have to take into consideration for that position. By the end of the season, we will have a fairer idea of the improvements needed.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Realistically, it's a 7 for me. We did well with the ins but we should have done better on shifting some especially Mustafi. Not getting a starting defender also feels like a trick missed especially with the loss of Kos and Monreal. I'm happier with the players we got this summer compared to last year where only Guendouzi and Torreira gave me some hope. This window certainly wasn't underwhelming.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Went with 8 but selling Iwobi and not replacing him could put it down to a 7. It'd never be a 10 because as good as Luiz is he's not exactly the world class CB signing we should be making.

Iceman10

Established Member
Went with 8 but selling Iwobi and not replacing him could put it down to a 7. It'd never be a 10 because as good as Luiz is he's not exactly the world class CB signing we should be making.

The issue of "replacing" Iwobi is complex. We did bring in Pepe and Martinelli. For LW, Auba, Martinelli, and Reiss can play there. It's not necessarily that we didn't replace Iwobi, imo, it is more that we took a gamble, probably as per Raul/Edu, one we will have to see if it pays off.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
If I rate this window by looking just at what we needed, the stature of our club, the appeal of the PL then I would give it 8/10. Very good window.

If I rate it by taking in consideration the specific hurdles for this window, that we missed CL for 3 seasons, needed to fill what looked like a million holes in the squad, fierce competition for any decent player, our budget etc. Then it is a 9.5/10. An almost perfect window when those challenges are considered.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I have a deal with my boss if I reach my work targets this year I get an all expenses paid trip to london to watch an Arsenal match live. I am well on my way to reach it, but I want it to be special. I can't take going to London, having worked so hard, so long for my reward, only for Spanish Mourinho to play 3 defensive midfielders against huddersfield at home. Even worse, I aim to get a ticket for a big game so he'll go with a coward tactic for sure. So I am angry.

Sorry mate, but I hope if you do get to watch a game that it turns out to be the worst game ever. 2 shots in total for both teams, with only 1 on target and the game ends 0-0.

I can half picture you jumping down and start shouting at Emery "you ****ing coward, why did you need to play 10 defensive players? I came all the way from the Netherlands to watch this s hit on a stick"

You would love to see that :lol:

Jae

Just need a world class DM now and we're good to go for the next few years.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
5/10
For years our defence has been shambles. We needed:
Class DM
Class CB
Back up for RB
Long term replacement at LB

We’ve got just one of those, Luiz is better than Mustafi but not what we needed. Ceballos was a short term replacement for Ramsey and Pepe is a luxury addition to the attack.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

5/10
For years our defence has been shambles. We needed:
Class DM
Class CB
Back up for RB
Long term replacement at LB

We’ve got just one of those, Luiz is better than Mustafi but not what we needed. Ceballos was a short term replacement for Ramsey and Pepe is a luxury addition to the attack.

I can actually see your thinking, once again we're basically gambling on our starting back four to stay fit the entire season, meanwhile our 2 starting FB's are injured already and we're forced to see Kolasinac and a midfielder at full-back. While I personally would have Holding ahead of Sokratis but that's debatable. If we're relying on Kolasinac/AMN for long periods this season it'll cost us points. While none of our CB's are exactly Adams-Bould either. Luiz has his moments, Sokratis is brainless and there's still question marks over Holding and Chambers.

It honestly seems to be like we're gambling yet again, what we did plenty of times under the last regime and I don't think it should be overlooked this time either especially if things go tits up. It's alright spending all that money on Pepe but last season it was our defence that let us down and it'll probably be the same this season. In the NLD 3 members of our defensive setup, our DM, CB and GK all made mistakes leading to the two Sp**s goals. Vs Liverpool we lost Matip on a set-piece so he could a free header while Luiz pulled Salah's shirt with quite lazy defending and he was embarrassed be Salah for the 3rd. Just 4 games into the season and already we see our defence is quite unreliable. I can only hope we're gonna be scoring a lot of goals this campaign.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom